Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

Metroid sighting huh? Well, I did just pour this coffee...it will still be there tomorrow.
Directed by: Akira Kurosawa
Starring: Toshiro Mifune

Remade, referenced, and homaged in countless movies, television shows, and books; the original is still the best.

The masterpiece of one of the true masters of cinema, Akira Kurosawa, Seven Samurai follows the story of a small farming village that hires a group of unemployed samurai to protect them from a gang of criminals that have been terrorizing them.

Throughout the movie, we are treated to a cinematic clinic. From the opening scenes to the recruitment of the samurai, to the planning of the defense to the attack itself, the entire movie is complete and utter perfection. The 3 and a half hour running time seems almost too short. This is the original action movie.

The characters are memorable and diverse. The most recognizable, of course, is the incomporable Toshiro Mifune, playing the immature and headstrong Kikuchiyo. Mifune is a brilliant actor, that shines in this role. Try watching him in this movie, and then his role in Yojimbo, or Sanjuro, and you will have a hard time doubting that he is not only one of Japan's, but one of the world's greatest actors. As Kikuchiyo, he goes from an immature and whiny child, to gaining the respect of all the other samurai, and the villagers.

Watching this movie, you'll begin to see why you love other movies. Lucas, Coppola, and even Spielberg have taken a lot of influence from Kurosawa, and his influence continues today.

For an extra special treat, check out Michael Jeck's commentary on the Criterion Collection Seven Samurai DVD. He is an expert on Japanese cinema, and gives information on all aspects of the movie, from it's filming, to it's influence on cinema, to the subtitles themselves.

Even if you hate black and white movies, even if you hate subtitles, even if you hate japanese movies, this is the one to make an exception of. In my humble opinion, it is the greatest movie of all time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vertov
Jun 14, 2003

hello
The relationship between samurai films and the western is one of the most interesting facets of film history, and Kurosawa is right at the middle of it all.

Mr. Sleep
Aug 2, 2003

Kurosawa was also avid admirer of John Ford and his western films, which is interesting when you consider that so many of Kurosawa's films have been remade as westerns.

Edit: Forgot to add, 5/5. One of the best movies I've ever seen.

Mr. Sleep fucked around with this message at 02:10 on May 25, 2004

SpokkerJones
Nov 9, 2002

by Ozma
This film is in my top 5. One of the greatest films ever made. I don't think this movie could ever be marketed today and make more than 20 million dollars and that's a tragedy.

Dark Wombat
Oct 11, 2002
If you took all my movies but one, and I could choose which it was, it would be this.

RabidLeper
Oct 27, 2002
____|\__\o/__ AAH! SHARK
Something that many people today have problems with are the long pauses during many of the shots. Freinds of mine say they don't like the film because of the silence and lack of movement at places. I personally think that without the long pauses, the movie would not be nearly as powerful, these pauses give the viewer time to think and analayze each situation.

Also, while his movements/actions are rather extreme and excentric, I think this is one of Toshiro Mifune's(the one crazy samurai) finer works with Kurosawa. The wild and unpredictable movements somehow fit in the movie and don't come off as extremely akward.

My only advice to any first time viewer is to enter the film with an open mind. If you go into the film expecting something like a Hollywood action film, you will be disappointed.

Yvershek
Nov 15, 2000

and there are no
diamonds in the
mine
A true classic in every sense of the word. From my experience it gets better with each viewing

mystery at hog island
Aug 16, 2003
Captain of Outer Space
No matter how many times I watch this movie, it still gives me the same amazing feeling I got the first time I watched it. The final battle against the bandits is, without a doubt, the greatest scene ever.

5.5/5

fuzzba11
Jan 4, 2004

quote:

FavorUnderlings came out of the closet to say:
No matter how many times I watch this movie, it still gives me the same amazing feeling I got the first time I watched it. The final battle against the bandits is, without a doubt, the greatest scene ever.

5.5/5

Agreed, fantastically incredible movie. Be sure to check out Kurusawa's other Samurai movies, too.

TedKoppel
Nov 30, 2002

They sure look ripe to me.
I don't know about this being THE best movie ever, because I'd be hard-pressed to pick one, but if it isn't, it's damned close. Every viewing so far has offered me new things to pick up about it. If you only see one Kurosawa movie (and there is no real reason you should limit yourself in that way) make it this one. Just a beautiful and entertaining movie.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
This is one of the first movies where I was really able to get into it. I loved the characters in the film, and horrified when any of the samurai died.

There hasn't been a single movie recently where I've actually cared about the characters. Either they seem invincible due to predictable good-guy-always-wins plots so I don't need to care about them, or the character dies long before we're given any background on them.

Edit: Also, what the gently caress? How can you rate the film a one and not give a loving explaination. I'm open to opinions of course, but what the gently caress?

Mauser fucked around with this message at 03:02 on May 5, 2004

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001
I thought it was a really great movie and liked the diverse and interesting characters. However, It always makes me mad that kyouzo dies, since he was the most badass, in my opinion.

Arm Unit 700
Sep 13, 2003

buh?
gently caress you

Somebody fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Oct 1, 2004

Jargon
Apr 22, 2003

This is definitely one of the most influential movies of all time, and a personal favorite of mine.

It also has one of my favorite quotes:

"Killed two."

;)

5.5/5

Jargon fucked around with this message at 02:58 on May 7, 2004

Arcadean
May 13, 2004
Psycho
One of the greatest films ever. I don't fling that term around too often. Kurosawa's best movie in this poster's humble opinion. Kurosawa has influenced countless director and even more screenwriters. He could really tell a story like no other and he had help from great acting. This was his epic, his masterpiece. I loved this movie so much that I bought the Criterion Edition for 30$ (got it 10$ off.

5/5

OpaqueEcho
Feb 8, 2003

oh no no bro oh no
Nothing I can say that hasn't already been said. Absolutely fantastic film, and what I would consider one of the greatest cinematographic masterpieces ever created.

Voted 5.5/5

janklow
Sep 28, 2001

whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent.
it doesn't even need that much action to be a fantastic action film.

Frost000
Jan 10, 2004

I don't think I can say anything that hasn't been said. This is quite simply one of the best films I've ever had the pleasure of viewing.

I bought the Criterion DVD two years ago without even having seen the film and I sure as Hell wasn't disappointed with my purchase.

Do yourself a favor and pick this up during your next visit to the videostore.

5.5/5

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
By today's standards, 5/5. By when it was made, 5.5/5. I go with the latter.

Illegal Grin
Oct 4, 2003
Hedonistic Bastard
My ex-girlfriend fell asleep during the first hour of this movie. I, however, am a Kurosawa fanatic. So much so that I don't feel I can choose a favorite amongst his many films. I love them all. This is definitely one of his best, though. Beautiful cinematography, compelling story, great characters. A loving masterpiece.

No question about it, this is a 5.5/5.

CapnPyro
Mar 18, 2003
I draw stuff.
5.5/5

friend and gf "Yeah dude, Jay made us sit through uhh.. The Last Samurai. God, I wanted to fall asleep having to watch it, sooo boring."

me and gf "Uh, yeah.. it was an alright movie. I thought it was pretty cool, Watanabe was a badass and I liked the Japanese living scenes.. Cruise did a good job I thought.."

"Uh, I don't think it's the same movie, this was black and white.."

"YOU ALMOST FELL ASLEEP DURING THE SEVEN SAMURAI?? WHAT IN GODS NAME IS WRONG WITH YOU TWO, IT'S ONE OF THE GREATEST FILMS OF ALL TIME. GO WATCH IT AGAIN, NOW, GO GO GO!"

Cold Fusion
May 27, 2001

Greatest movie ever crafted, nothing comes close. Who's the dipshit who didn't vote this a 5?

PS, Kyuzo never forget :911: :911: :911:

Cessna N333UM
Dec 7, 2003

Winning (and passing Check-Rides) is better than sex.
Yet another sub-title film in which you eventually get immerssed in the plot, and don't notice that their not speaking english. This is a splended film in every way. A must see if you can find it.

5 / 5

Apex
Jan 26, 2004

Easily the best movie I've ever seen, wish there were more movies like this today. 5.5

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.
One of my all time favorites. Kurosawa was a master. 5.5/5

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

Every time I see Mifune holding the baby and crying I bawl like a little girl. Actually, Kurosawa movies are the only films I've ever cried over. Especially Ikiru..... :(

5.5/5

janklow
Sep 28, 2001

whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent.
really, just a phenomenal film. one of my all-time favorites, enough nice things cannot be said about it.

Horseface
Jun 29, 2003

Please put your hands together for Homosexuals the Gorilla!
If Citizen Kane is the greatest film of all time, The Seven Samurai is the greatest movie. Sure it contains a remarkable amount of insight into human nature and the like, but you can miss all that stuff and still get a ton of enjoyment out of this film. It is a brilliant story brillianly told, chock full of drama, action, humor, pathos, and everything else that makes movies great. Like Casablanca, only better. Like The Godfather and Kane, you can't even pretend to be a movie fan unless you've seen this.

5.5/5

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
I just finished watching this not even 10 minutes ago. This movie makes me though, I'm mad because it took me so long to finally see it.
5/5

And if anybody isn't sure about this movie buy it on ebay, I got mine for 99 cents. (of course there will be a few dollars shipping).

Enrico Cocinar
Aug 6, 2004

I saw the cover of the Criterion Collection DVD at the rental place and had to get it. I had heard alot from people and was expecting alot, it delivered. The charachters were crafted so beautifully. Mifune made Kikuchiyo, who was a great charachter. Kikuchiyo and Kyuzo's deaths were such a shock, and Kikuchiyo stabing the warlord stunned me . I enjoyed every second and am going to rent The Magnificent seven right after this. Kurosawa is a genius and deserves more recognition.

Brilliant, Voted 5.5/5

P78M
Sep 1, 2004

tropical hot dog night
This movie broke down barriers with its intricate plot and lovable characters, along with some badass fight scenes.

The music is beautiful, too.

5/5

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

Absolutely spectacular. This is one of the rare films I've seen in which I actually cared about the characters. Every samurai's death was like a kick to the teeth, especially Kikuchiyo's.

5.5/5

haz3l
Jul 19, 2004
dot

quote:

Arm Unit 700 came out of the closet to say:
Divine. And it's interesting that *** of the ******* that ***, *** from getting ***** ****. Sniff.

Thanks for giving away the movie rear end in a top hat. I hadn't seen it yet.

Learn how to use spoilers.

hikikomori
Oct 4, 2002

オレ、がんばれ
Shichinin no Samurai 七人の侍 is not a great action movie. It is a great movie. The action label is superfluous.

Unlike an the typical/modern action (or maybe martial arts) film, the point isn't to see crazy explosions, insane stunts, or blood and limbs flying every which way. As much as the final confrontation between the defenders of the village and the bandits amazing to watch, much of the violence is implicit - people are cut down, or shot, but it isn't explicitly illustrated. You can put this down to the limitations of the film making techniques of the time, but I prefer to think that the film is simply not about violence.

Perhaps the only thing that could be said to be lacking from the film is the "shallowness" of modern action cinema.

5.5/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DukeRustfield
Aug 6, 2004
I saw this as a kid and was bored shitless.

Saw it more recently and enjoyed it a lot. Since everyone pointed out good stuff, I'll harp on what I had problems with.

I didn't like the Mifune. Not remotely. I didn't like him in Rashomon either, which was pretty much the same over-the-top, spastic character.

In this movie, like some Orson Welles piece, everyone has their ROLE and they play it. The bad guys are really bad. The good guys are really good. What irked me was when the bandits were getting killed and more killed and more killed and they kept coming like robots. Because their role dictated it. Don't you feel they might go, "hmm, samurai are kicking the poo poo out of us. Maybe we should go pick on easier targets?"

Some realism issues. Their guns were stupendously accurate sniper weapons when they were simply not used like that during this period. Swords do convenient stabby damage but that was more a sign of the era this movie was created.

This IS a western. Just Japan's version. They are white cowboy hat good guys and black cowboy hat bad guys. It's unfortunate that Japan-o-geeks still take this stuff literally. We all know that wild west cowboys were assholes or good guys or regular people, despite the slew of 2D John Wayne-ish movies. But there's still this belief that Samurai were gold-making GBS threads superheroes above base human emotions.

I did feel it was too long as well. Some of the subplots I didn't remotely care about. The old man. The young love.