Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bongle
Jan 5, 2004

Now with more glowing
Directed by: Peter Kuran
Starring: Nuclear Weapons

When I initially got this movie, I was thinking it was going to be a pretty dry documentary with the occasional nuclear weapons test footage to spice things up. I was pleasantly surprised that this movie concetrates more on the weapons tests, and has an amazing musical score to back it up. The first 3/4 of the movie has some of the most amazing film you'll ever see, as nuclear weapons are extremely interesting to watch, since there is a variety of different shots and shot locations. The underwater blasts are exceptional. The Hiroshima and Nagasaki sequence is done perfectly, and timed to co-ordinate with the music.

On the con side, in the last 15-20 minutes, when they are showing the multiple mega-ton bombs, it gets somewhat boring, since all the 5-10 megaton bombs all over-expose the camera, so you can't really see the bomb itself. Also, there is very little uniqueness in each large explosion that can be seen since they are all so huge, whereas all the sub-megaton blasts all look quite unique and can be seen very clearly. However, the first time you watch it, you will still be awed. This boredom comes from having watched it 5 times in the last 2 months. It is still an excellant movie, and what little narrative it has tells you what is happening well enough.

RATING: 4

PROS: Recently unclassified nuclear weapon footage, excellant score
CONS: Last 15-20 minutes

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: Stars William Shatner as narrator

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i_am_the_hydra
Feb 1, 2001
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1032134

;) Beaten by a day.

Bongle
Jan 5, 2004

Now with more glowing

quote:

i_am_the_hydra came out of the closet to say:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1032134

;) Beaten by a day.
Damnit, I even looked in the T section.

Edit: He did a much better review than me too. I'll close this thread then.

Bongle fucked around with this message at 19:23 on May 4, 2004