Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aberration
Sep 11, 2001
Directed by: Harold Ramis
Starring: Bill Murray, Andie MacDowell, Chris Elliott

I'm like Mel Gibson in Conspiracy Theory with his "Catcher in the Rye" book, everytime this movie is on, I must watch it. It has the quality of what a good movie shold be. Bill Murray is fantastic and plays the role perfectly.

It is amusing to watch how the relationship develops and all the little twists. Although the movie can be somewhat repetitive at times its always fun to watch how the scenes are different each time.

This movie is fun, in the true sense of the word. If you haven't already seen it, hell even if you have, its great fun and makes a terrific date movie.

RATING: 5

PROS: Funny, witty and written well with intelligence.
CONS: None significant, although somewhat predictable.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://imdb.com/title/tt0107048/

Aberration fucked around with this message at 19:57 on May 6, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I've always liked movies/shows along these lines and it's always fun to wonder just how you'd act.

I think that, when it comes down to it, I'd probably do many of the same things as Bill Murray did.

HPopper 2.0
Jul 14, 2001

When I first saw this movie I didn't think much of it, but, after repeat viewings on cable TV, it grew on me. It's really a Bill Murray vehicle. Without him, I doubt this would work at all. With him, it's and funny and entertaining. 4/5

4EVA
Jul 13, 2003

playing to win
This movie really grew on me. I watched it when I was a kid, and although it was pretty funny then, it's a lot funnier now. Bill Murray is the man in this.

"It's a dooooozy."

It just started playing on my ABC affiliate.

pikacheney
Mar 14, 2002

I shall remember this moment: the silence, the twilight, the bowl of strawberries, the bowl of Xoo, and that chubby, chubby choona.
Oh man, what a loving awesome movie. Groundhog Day is probably one of the most solid comedies I've ever seen. I love movies where they take a concept and explore every aspect of it. It's a conversation sparker, imagining yourself in his position. And I'm glad it had a happy, yet believable, ending.

I bet you could take the concept and make good movies in other genres with this too, like a sci-fi psych thriller or something.

Rand Ecliptic
May 23, 2003

Jesus Saves! - And Takes Half Damage!!
As an aside, I live in the small town the movie was shot. In fact, I'm a bartender at the very bar where they order their "sweet vermouth on the rocks with a twist” and drank to world peace.

In fact, just this Groundhog’s Day, the bar in the restaurant got a plaque on the wall next to where Murray and McDowell that reads “I always drank to world peace. Groundhog Day, 1993.”

Also, the actor who played the insurance salesmen “Ned” acted out his scene where he first "met" Phil Connors at the same location they did in the movie. It was pretty :cool: to watch.

As for the movie... it's a classic. Expertly acted and written. It's also a romantic comedy that keeps a intrigued. That's a rarity with romantic comedys. Usually thay're simply "shut off brain" fliks. 5/5

Rand Ecliptic fucked around with this message at 10:02 on May 10, 2004

velocityJE
Jul 11, 2001

~ LOVE FOREVER ~

quote:

Paul_Klein came out of the closet to say:
As an aside, I live in the small town the movie was shot. In fact, I'm a bartender at the very bar where they order their "sweet vermouth on the rocks with a twist” and drank to world peace.

In fact, just this Groundhog’s Day, the bar in the restaurant got a plaque on the wall next to where Murray and McDowell that reads “I always drank to world peace. Groundhog Day, 1993.”

Also, the actor who played the insurance salesmen “Ned” acted out his scene where he first "met" Phil Connors at the same location they did in the movie. It was pretty :cool: to watch.

As for the movie... it's a classic. Expertly acted and written. It's also a romantic comedy that keeps a intrigued. That's a rarity with romantic comedys. Usually thay're simply "shut off brain" fliks. 5/5
You live in Punxsutawney, ahaha! Too cool. :coal:

Classic movie, won't ever get old. 5

Rand Ecliptic
May 23, 2003

Jesus Saves! - And Takes Half Damage!!

quote:

You live in Punxsutawney, ahaha! Too cool.

Actully, the movie was filmed in Woodstock, Illinois, not Punxsutawney, Philidelphia.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

4.5 (Penalised half a mark for Andie MacDowell being allowed to live.)

Heteroy
Mar 13, 2004

:fork::fork::fork:
Yam Slacker
This movie is as close to perfect as any comedy I've seen. Bill Murray is solely responsible for making this film work so well. This movie doesn't seem to lose steam half way through, unlike nearly all other comedies that I have seen.

My only problem is after watching, it not having that polka music that's playing at the festival he goes to every morning. The mere thought of it, has lodged the music back into my brain.

This movie is my favorite Murray movie, ahead of Rushmore, Ghostbusters 1 & 2, Caddyshack, and Quick Change.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
I love this movie! It took several years of sporadic viewing, but it just GREW on me so much! It's an amazing movie that is both serious and funny at the same time. Not many films can successfully portray multiple suicides in a comedy and still get laughs out of it. Bill Murry is a craftsman here.

A true classic. 5.

Captain Fwiffo
Jan 23, 2004

Resident of Pluto
The very concept of this movie is original and interesting enough to make it worthwhile, and then throw in Bill Murray and a hilarious script that mocks small town life, only to finally fall in love with it, and you've got one of the greatest comedies ever made. Pesonally, my two favorite lines are put forward by Larry, the camera man:

"He could still be alright."
(Car explodes.)
"Well...probably not, now."

Chief Rebel Angel
Apr 10, 2003

by Fragmaster
Not only is this movie hilarious, it's also very poignant, and heartwarming as well. Andie McDowell is gorgeous too.

"I'm not THE God. I'm just A God."
*stuffs a huge slice of cake into his mouth*

4.5/5 onyl because there are funnier movies out there.

Horseface
Jun 29, 2003

Please put your hands together for Homosexuals the Gorilla!
This is half a great comedy. It's really funny with an inventive premise that gets explored as thoroughly as it deserves to be, but about an hour into the movie Murray decides to be nice and it ceases to be funny anymore. The last 30 minutes or so are pretty much devoid of any laughs at all, and instead cranks up the sap-o-meter to 11. But when Murray is still an rear end in a top hat it's a lot of fun. 3.5/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Jun 15, 2014