Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NADZILLA
Dec 16, 2003
iron helps us play
Directed by: Ronnie Yu
Starring: Robert Englund, Ken Kirzinger

"One, two, Freddy's coming for you. You know why they sing that? Because that's when he comes for you."

The kids on Elm Street are up to their old tricks, doing the same thing most real-life teenagers lie about doing every weekend: drinking, doing drugs and loving. Freddy Krueger is pissed, but since he's no longer a household name, he lacks the power to kill on his own. So, he does the next best thing: he recruits contemporary Jason Voorhees to kill for him. Freddy gets credit for the crimes, and soon his name is all over the news. As he regains his power, he sees Jason as a threat. The poo poo hits the fan.

Freddy vs Jason never takes itself too seriously. The human characters are treated like buildings in a Godzilla movie--cardboard cut-outs for the monsters to knock over at their discretion. What time is given to characterization is wasted on some of the worst lines and attempts at acting I've ever seen. And, honestly, all this really does is add to the film's appeal.

Look, this movie isn't going to retroactively win any Oscars and nobody expects it to. Through its film ancestry, Freddy vs Jason promises blood, tits and and nostalgia--and it delivers on these modest promises. It's like winning the cheesy horror lottery.

RATING: 4

PROS: Delivers on its promise of ludicrous, over-the top killing
CONS: Kelly Rowland doesn't die quickly or painfully enough

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0329101/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Not scary, very funny, perfect for a date if she/he's a sissy. I hated the Jason films, and am too much of a pussy to watch the Freddy films, but this movie is a great "destroy all monsters" style of film. Rumor has it that Robert Englund (Freddy) will only do a sequel if Sam Raimi and Bruce Campbell write it, and Bruce Campbell, as Ash, kills him for good. If this happens, Freddy vs. Jason will become one of the best films ever for allowing this.

4/5.5

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

quote:

Kruller came out of the closet to say:
Rumor has it that Robert Englund (Freddy) will only do a sequel if Sam Raimi and Bruce Campbell write it, and Bruce Campbell, as Ash, kills him for good. If this happens, Freddy vs. Jason will become one of the best films ever for allowing this.

4/5.5

This would be awesome. In fact, anything with Bruce Campbell in I would watch, and have done. </pathetic fanwhore>

schmitty9800
Feb 10, 2003

A campy movie that's pretty funny, plus there's a lot of decent action scenes that manage to be pretty cool. It's a very brainless, quite entertaining film.

kordova
Apr 9, 2004

quote:

Kruller came out of the closet to say:
Rumor has it that Robert Englund (Freddy) will only do a sequel if Sam Raimi and Bruce Campbell write it, and Bruce Campbell, as Ash, kills him for good. If this happens, Freddy vs. Jason will become one of the best films ever for allowing this.

4/5.5 [/B]
That would only be too entertaining, unlike this movie.

Scar Trek
Mar 6, 2002

I was here before this cliché crap and I'll be here long after it's cold and raped and dead in the ground.
This movie was really written for the fans. All the Freddy and Jason fanboys who've kept both movie series' going for so damned long, this is their big reward. There's many injokes, references to previous movies, and other little touches that they're bound to love.

At the same time, it's just downright entertaining for everyone else. It doesn't take itself seriously in the slightest, it knows and understands the cheesy 80's Slasher Horror genre it's rooted in and plays up wonderfully, almost to the point of parody at times (though not to the point of certain Elm Street movies which made Freddy into a joke).
The action is great stuff to watch, the horror isn't bad enough to put people off but enough to make you squirm, and the character of Freddy is just so perfectly "Freddy".

Also, the girl from Ginger Snaps gets naked.

4/5, you need to have a broken Fun Gland not to enjoy this movie.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

A great laugh. You have absolutely no connection with any character, so watching them die at the hands of Freddy or Jason is a pleasure. And the dialogue is so beautifully stupid you will laugh out loud.

"Man, that goalie was pissed."

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
First of all, I'm not a big Freddy or Jason fan. The only Friday the 13ths I can remember are the 6th, the Manhattan trip, Jason Goes to Hell and Jason X. Of the Nightmare on Elm Street movies I've seen the original, the fourth, Freddy's Dead and New Nightmare. Most of these were tv edits and I wasn't very impressed. Still, watching this in the theater at midnight surrounded by horror fans was one of the best theater experiences I've ever had. When a topless coed is running through the forest and trips over her own two feet, one of the cheesiest and overused cliches in horror history, everyone laughed and clapped. That kind of appreciation, even for the silliness of horror, is what Freddy vs. Jason is about.

Jason and Freddy are brought together, thankfully, reasonably rather than randomly or just plain stupidly. Freddy, still in Hell, needs to be feared in order to exist. Since Elm Street citizens have initiated a containment plan that isolated his influence like a virus, he needs Jason. Appearing in a dream as his mother, he commands Jason to go to Elm Street and start killing, knowing that the murders will cause the fear of Freddy to return. The confrontation starts when Jason starts killing victims that Freddy wants. (And I should add, this is thousands of miles ahead of previous ideas, such as an ancient cult worshipping Freddy and teens throwing hearts into Lake Crystal to revive Jason, even one in which the entire movie took place in a horror fan's dream. Yeech.)

The final fight, the reason the movie was made at all, did not disappoint. It's brutal, inventive, funny and gorey. There are elbow drops, impalement, amputations and eye-gouging. Unlike any other fight movie, these two can give each other punishment that no human being can take and still keep on going, and it's done so thoroughly that by the end even you feel exhausted.

In terms of style I thought it nicely combined the fright techniques of old with the pop-culture glam kills of the Scream generation, as well as balancing Nightmare's personalized gimmick kills with Jason's brutal stalker slayings. There are some very nice shots in the movie, including Jason, on fire, attacking ravers in the middle of a cornfield. The characters are obviously expendable.

The only cons are some imaginative bits that don't make sense (Jason is apparently afraid of water in his dreams) and one or two really bad lines.

4/5, a great versus film

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

For what it could have been, it was not really frightening enough, not really gory enough, and not really clever enough. Fun at the time, but doesn't stay with you long. And where was the "place your bets!" line from the trailer? Rating: 2.5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Checkmate Jones
Jul 31, 2004

by Lowtax
Whatever anyone says about this movie, the real feeling of competition between Freddy and Jason, and yes, the insane amounts of gore and awesome fight scenery made this movie kick rear end, if you're into that sort of thing.

As mentioned previously, the characters are totally unimportant, go for the fighting, enjoy it thoroughly.

3.5/5