Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

porkchop_express
May 27, 2004
gotta say i love this one just for the spoofs. especially the pinoccio - mission impossible wire nod... put that together with the whole thongs thing there , i nearly lost control of bowel and or bladder.

edit: oh yeah 4.5/5

porkchop_express fucked around with this message at 21:42 on May 27, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HobbitGrease
Jul 24, 2001

Young Orc
I enjoyed Shrek 2. It made me laugh, and it rewards the observant with numerous upon numerous clever sight gags. It did what the original Shrek did, and then improved on it. The jokes are a bit raunchier than the first movie, so I'm not sure you should take young kids to it, but it's a movie that adults and teenagers can really get into.

I'd give it a 4.5/5, and recommend that you see it.

[s_d]
May 17, 2004
slacker num...screw it too much work.
Shrek 2 was an ok sequel. But it was not as funny as the first one was.
Most of the funny parts seems to be at the begining and then just filler and story for the rest of the movie. The whole "honeymoon" clips should have been extended and been a more major role, since they were the funniest parts of the movie. And that was the first like 10 mins of the film.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
After seeing Shrek2, I can easily say this movie was better than the first. Like the first, it is riddled with excellent references. Unfortunately, most kids probably wont get many of them because they're all beyond their time (History of the World Pt 1 for example) .. It is much more adult friendly than the first because of this, but also has some basic fart humor for the little ones as well so its always a laugh a minute. I also dug the anti-big corporation theme they had going throughout the movie, which is a bit hypocritical of them, but funny regardless. The Starbucks scene had me rolling. It's very rare to see movies like this, and ones that are even better than the first.

Rating: 5

pharaohdactyl
Sep 11, 2001

I saw this movie last night. My God did I laugh. I didn't expect it to be anything stellar and was afraid that they wouldn't be able to pull of the assloads of references that some people told me about, but they did it. This film was very well-executed. They combine in-your-face comedy with just the right amount of subtlety. This is a true people-pleaser. It seemed to me like this movie would be what happened if the creators of Family Guy made a fairy tale. Very well cast...5/5. Only weak point to this film was probably Cameron Diaz's character. Just bland and weak...not a dynamic character at all. Puss In Boots steals the show. Pay close attention to background detail during slow scenes, because you might miss something. posters Go see this flick.

- Starbucks scene had me gasping for air
- Puss in Boots hairball scene, Jesus Christ! The 20 minutes of dry-heaving are so hilarious, especially if you have seen a cat doing it. Totally reminded me of Peter Griffin's knee-fall scene.

imantor
Jan 17, 2004
Odds are I hate you!
Shrek2 really impressed me. They did an excellent job of making a sequal to a movie that should have been a single release. I think it was better done than the first one.

Bun Bun
Apr 7, 2002

Fear The Bunny
Antonio Banderes is freaking awesome in this movie. Not to say that the rest of the cast was not up to their usual high standards but Puss in Boots for me stole the show.
Also the Pinocio part alone makes this one of the funniest movies i have ever seen. I might even say that this movie is better than the first having given way more laughs.
an excellent movie
4.5/5

biguglydoofus
Feb 25, 2003
Just saw it this morning, and absolutely loved it. Overall better than the first. Seemed like there were a lot more gag references that were hysterical if you catch them.

Ceritus
Jul 31, 2002

C'mon, all the cool kids are doing it.
While I didn't enjoy this movie as much as the first one, it's definitely a gem. Puss in Boots, as others have mentioned, fit in perfectly with the already-established cast of characters, and Antonio Banderas' voice really helped flesh the character out. The 'Cops' spoof segment, I thought, was one of the funniest parts of the movie. I enjoyed the soundtrack a lot, too.

Rating: 4.0

HPopper 2.0
Jul 14, 2001

I'd just like to say that I didn't care for Shrek 1. It wasn't horrible... just OK. This one I liked a lot. In other words, this movie is recommended, even if the first one wasn't your thing. 4.5/5

Also:

quote:

[s_d] came out of the closet to say:
The whole "honeymoon" clips should have been extended and been a more major role, since they were the funniest parts of the movie.
They released a seperate DVD called "Shrek 3D" recently (it comes bundled with Shrek 1 and a pair of red/blue glasses for optional 3D) that is basically a short cartoon featuring Shrek characters. I'm not positive because I haven't seen it, but I believe it's supposed to be all about Shrek & Fiona's honeymoon. It'll probably end up in a non-3D version on the DVD of Shrek 2 or something.

Frank Zappa
Feb 6, 2004

Electric Aunt Jemima - Goddess of Love
I thought that this movie was clever, and well put together.

I thought it was crap that they stayed ogres, though. They should have kissed.

4/5.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.

quote:

Frank Zappa came out of the closet to say:
I thought that this movie was clever, and well put together.

I thought it was crap that they stayed ogres, though. They should have kissed.

4/5.

If they kept them as humans it would go against the entire lesson of the first film, that beauty is within and all that jive

Like most people I really enjoyed this movie. One of the things I enjoyed the most may or may not have been an intentional reference to a classic Lewis Black routine. If it was intentional, kudos to Dreamworks, if it wasn't, still funny.

Giant gingerbread cookie attacks the Starbucks parody and everyone runs outside and across the street to shelter...in another Starbucks. The end of the univers indeed.

4/5 from me.

lifts cats over head fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jun 5, 2004

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
About what I expected... as usual with sequels, you get a lot of the same, but they still managed to make it worth my $5 matinee ticket. Among the highlights:

- big gingerbread man saying "be good"
- aforementioned Starbucks scene
- "I'm a real boy!" "No, wait, I'm not!"

Nothing groundbreaking, again... but worth seeing. 3.5/5.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem
I thought this movie was pretty good, but nowhere as good as the first Shrek movie. It is definitely worth watching though.

javi
Jun 5, 2004

Silly yes ... Idiotic ... yes.!
I'm one of the few people who didn't really like the movie all that much. I was expecting to be blown away by a great follow up. Yet, it seemed like it was written for a sitcom instead of motion picture. I really didn't care about the characters, the only thing that saved it was Gingerbread man and Puss.One part I really liked was K.N.I.G.H.T.S. Did anybody else think that Shrek looked like a muscular version of Fred Savage?

I'd give it a 3.5 out of 5

javi fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jun 5, 2004

Nighend
Dec 5, 2003
I'm all about the swishy.
Did anyone else realize that this movie was a musical? It had only only two sequences where the characters actually sung, but there were so many scenes which were narrated by songs.

I guess that I just couldn't take this movie 'seriously', as in I couldn't see it as a satire or parody. It felt like... a bad Disney movie.

javi
Jun 5, 2004

Silly yes ... Idiotic ... yes.!

quote:

Nighend came out of the closet to say:
Did anyone else realize that this movie was a musical? It had only only two sequences where the characters actually sung, but there were so many scenes which were narrated by songs.

I guess that I just couldn't take this movie 'seriously', as in I couldn't see it as a satire or parody. It felt like... a bad Disney movie.
Like Tarzan or Brother Bear, the last good movie Disney did, I feel is The Emperor's New Groove.

flub
Mar 14, 2002
I didn't like it. It wasn't a bad movie, but it wasn't good. It felt like the entire move was written by a committee, as there wasn't any personality to the humor. It was basically a remake of the first movie, with different pop culture / fairy tale refrences. They even reused some of the same jokes from the first movie such as matrix-style fighting and the muffin man. If you've seen the Shreck, Shreck II will feel stale and tiresome.

2.5/5

flub fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jun 7, 2004

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

Saw it tonight, thought it was really good. :)

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

Saw it yesterday and was very pleased. It did drag during the middle during the "Donkay, i must leever fer her to beh happeh" part. that message was just repeated over and over. But it picked up again and was super fun.

I didn't realize that jennifer Saunders, of Ab Fab, was the Fairy Goodmother. She was really good.

My only real complaint was that they had the characters walk up and down stairs a lot in the movie and the characters look terrible doing it. Just bad animation. Also it seems like a stretch for Shrek to be so upset by a diary written before she was put in the tower. It's just the kind of overreaction that drives lovely movies these days. Evrything else was awesome.

Chesty O'Coine
Apr 5, 2003

Cake or Death?
Saw it this weekend and thought it was pretty good. I didn't find it to be "funnier than the first" like a lot of the critics are claiming, I thought it started a bit slow but picked up in the middle until the end. Yes, Puss in Boots did steal the show. I died laughing every time he made that wide eyed cute face, then went batshit insane on his opponent. My cats do the same exact thing, makes me wonder if they are hired assasins when I'm not home.

The COPS spoof was fantastic, with the ground pepper in the eye. And of course the Pinnochio Mission Impossible panty joke was fabulous. I was disappointed that the Queen didn't kiss the frog King at the end to change him back. So now they have a human Queen, a frog King and an ogre daughter? Strange family portrait...

On the whole, I gave it a 4.0

Smeep
Jan 20, 2004

Saw it last night and I thought it was great. The graphics were amazing, the dialogue was crisp and fun, I liked the songs a lot - especially the "I Need a Hero" sequence, which I think worked really well, and what else can you say about Puss in Boots? Great movie.

Chronic Reagan
Oct 13, 2000

pictures of plastic men
Fun Shoe
I enjoyed this movie a lot more than I thought I would. Puss'n'Boots was hilarious. 'Fear me, if you dare!'

4.5/5

1/2 point subtracted for La Vida Loca.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Animation: 5.5/5, new standard.
Comedy: 3/5

Voted 4.

Foreverland
May 2, 2004
I thought this one was moderately tolerable. The animation is top notch, which is the best thing I can say about it. My main beef with the Shrek movies (more this one than the prior), is that I come away from them feeling saturated with pop culture rather than Fairy Tale Lore. The soundtrack makes my squirm everytime another musical montage comes up, having the Fairy Godmother singing "I need a hero" was about enough to put me over the edge, and the final number of "Living La Vida Loca" had me puking in my lap. Very few of the jokes are original or even funny, and most of the time the movie relies on pop culture references to get a laugh. If you like cutesy movies that require very little thought, then you'll enjoy Shrek 2. If you like your kids movies to be original and interesting you'll probably not enjoy Shrek 2 very much.

Vote: 2

PoSeiDoN
Jun 14, 2003

These go to 11.
Two words : White Bronco.

I cried.

SpankyFart
Jan 16, 2004

by OMGWTFBBQ
I was crying with laughter at the end of the movie with the giant gingerbread man. Brilliant comedy moments.
You need to kee pa sharp eye to spot some of the small gags and nods to other movies. Like when the starbucks cafe is destroyed and people run right into another one

Excelent movie. A must see.

5/5

ReActor
Jun 1, 2000

MEANIE
I think this film's been criticised unfairly recently, related to Shark Tale and compared with stuff like The Incredibles (to which it bears almost no relation).

It may rely too much on references at times, but it is consistently funny and stays interesting. Often, the scenes look brilliant - particularly when they first ride into Far Far Away and are greeted by hundreds of people. The characters are likeable and fun to watch.

All in all, not especially original but loads of fun, and made with a care for detail that really shows.

(Also, I initially thought the king was doing a rather over-the-top John Cleese impression, until I realised it was actually John Cleese.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolorous Decay
Aug 12, 2003

by Lowtax
It was terrible. The beginning, I mean. They were just beating you over the head with bad jokes. The music was very fitting and well-done. edit: after reading another review, I have to add on to this by saying that yes, the heavy reliance on pop-culture kind of sucked, but as a movie this one needs to be taken very, very lightly.

It certainly wasn't funnier than the first, although Puss in Boots makes that a hard call.
Oh god did I love "Puss in boots". He was loving wonderful. Antonia Banderas is a wonderful actor and a wonderful voice actor. Just terrific.

The animation was loving beautiful.

It moved a little too fast sometimes and ends at a paltry 80 minutes.

Overall, the movie was unnecessary, but definitely fun if you weren't expecting much of a plot add-on to the first movie.

In the end, I give it a 3.5/5, but I'm leaning towards 4 quite strongly.

Dolorous Decay fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Mar 1, 2005