Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobst
Mar 28, 2002

~HUG LIFE~
The plot was threadbare, horribly foreshadowed fan-fiction filled with Deus Ex Machina, the animation was riddled with gimmickry, the characters were apathetically-acted one-dimensional archetypes, and the jokes were made of satireless pop-culture referencing that seemed to pander exclusively to the Friends-watcher in all of us. Spigot sums up my feelings better than I can.

This movie reeks of mass-marketing, of focus-grouping, of careful fine-tuning so as not to offend, to challenge, or to educate. Nothing is accomplished, not even a new "moral message" (it's all about what you are inside and poo poo), unless you count the new hand-punched hole in Shrek's enormous belt -- that of, in providing a startling amount of more of the same poo poo as the first, perfectly personifying everything wrong with the art form of the sequel.

I didn't laugh, I chuckled. Four times, over the course of just barely an hour and twenty minutes. Who knows? Maybe I've just been spoiled by Ghibli.

Great photography, beautiful colors, and an excessively polished presentation can't make up for the complete lack of worthwhile content in this mess. All style, no substance. 0.5/5.

edit: vvvvvvv

quote:

Yeah, seriously, this movie is a comedy, not a drama. Lobst probably rated all the Three Stooges movies 0.5, too. OH MY GOD, MOE AND CURLY ARE SO ONE-DIMENSIONAL!

Stooges movies were made back in the era when the foundations of the craft were still being erected -- when people were amused by a poke to the eye or a rapid series of comical noises, no matter how many times they were repeated. But that era also came up with the Marx Brothers, who were loving brilliant for their time. The assumption that we should apply the same standards to movies made sixty, seventy, eighty years later is ludicrous.

I'm not a gothically jaded German, I'm just militantly artistic/intellectual. I can detect both forces at work behind Pee-Wee's Big Adventure, which will forever be wedged in-between Waking Life and Kung POW! in my collection, but I can't see them behind this, which had to play hot-potato between four directors and two writing teams to finally get produced.

I'm not attacking your opinions, just stating my own. Please don't attack mine.

Lobst fucked around with this message at 01:04 on May 25, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU