Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
Directed by: Edgar Wright
Starring: Simon Pegg, Nick Frost, Kate Ashfield

Called the first British romzomcom (romantic zombie comedy), Shaun of the Dead actually excels at all three aspects. It parodies the classic zombie films while at the same time crafting a unique and engaging story of its own. It's also got a bit of relationship in there as Shaun tries to work things out with his girlfriend Liz. The whole film is really about Shaun getting his life together.

As a comedy, it's hilarious. As a zombie movie, it's tense and exciting with some good gore. So it's not really a romance movie, but who reading this honestly gives a gently caress?

There are some nice throwbacks to Romero zombie movies. Wheelchair zombie as a throwback to Romero's unique zombies like Hare Krishna in Dawn. There's also a hilarious bit when a newscaster is about to give the reason for the zombie outbreak, but the channel gets changed before he can spill the big secret.

Highly recommended for any fans of zombie movies, comedy...hell, if you derive any enjoyment out of life, you should love this movie.

RATING: 4.5

PROS: Hilarious comedy, Romero zombies, good gore, and even genuinely tense at times
CONS: There are short moments of melodrama that may not sit well with some viewers. I actually got a bit teary myself.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0365748/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

This is by far the funniest horror movie I've ever seen. I loved all the early scenes where Shaun is oblivious to what's going on around him. The best gag was when we see the two people making out in the background, but it turns out one of them was eating the other (we see the person's head fall off just before the shot cuts away).

It also had some awesome gore effects. For instance, the "drunk" woman who impales herself on a pole and then gets back up with a hole in her torso.

This is one of my favorite zombie movies ever. 5/5

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
i hate spoofs, and i hate spoofs of zombie movies, but i might give this a try..i dont know, i thought it looked like it would suck though

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

quote:

RizieN came out of the closet to say:
i hate spoofs, and i hate spoofs of zombie movies, but i might give this a try..i dont know, i thought it looked like it would suck though

Shaun of the Dead isn't a spoof. It's just a zombie movie that happens to be quite funny.

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
I'm worried I may have misrepresented the movie. It's not a spoof, as caiman says. It plays the zombie storyline very straight. The comedy comes from the characters and jokes, the zombies themselves aren't changed around from anything you've seen in a Romero movie.

It's a comedy set in the Romero universe, not a comedy manipulating it for humour.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Sorry guys, but this got posted before:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1029510

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
Crap, I thought I went through the back pages. Sorry mods.