Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dominic Hokage
Nov 11, 2003

Directed by: Philip Noyce
Starring: Rutger Hauer, Terry O'Quinn, Brandon Call, blah blah blah, SHO KOSUGI

Since Zatoichi is (probably) around the corner, I thought folks may be interested in another action movie with the 'blind swordsman' theme. I watched this movie when I was probably 14 or so years old, but drat if it didn't leave one heck of an impression. It caused me to buy Tenchu 1 and 2, and buy all sorts of black pyjamas trying to make myself look like a greasy overweight ninja. It also left me with a hankering for more Rutger Hauer, so I'm still a little disappointed to this day that he's not more widely recognized, although he does have Blade Runner and Merlin to his name.

The plot is... Well, suffice to say most people will be able to grasp the plot on the first watching, but fortunately you won't have to suffer (emotionally, intellectually, or sexually) to understand it, as would be the case otherwise for most other action movies. Hauer plays Nick Parker, a soldier who fought in the Vietnam War. When his Huey crashed in the jungle, he lost the use of his eyes, and fell into what was probably a trap meant for animals. He is brought back to a village, where he is given medical care and shelter, and more prominently, is taught the use of a sword by an old martial artist. When he returns home, he discovers that an old war buddy is being exploited into making designer drugs by a bunch of rednecks. Hauer's character realizes that he must maintain the honor and integrity of action heroes everywhere and mustn't let the rednecks succeed in their nefarious plan. He embarks on a crusade to teach the world that a blind, middle-aged Vietnam War vet with a sword can easily defeat serveral goons armed with guns and at least one fully-Oriental ninja with his sight intact. The action sequences are pure bliss, and the final showdown between Hauer and Kosugi stands up to final showdowns in every other movie, if not better than a large crop of them.

RATING: 4.5

PROS: SHO KUSUGI
CONS: Sho Kusugi dies

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096945/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU