Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NotGonnaTellYou
Dec 10, 2003
fucking what the fuck man
Directed by: Randall Wallace
Starring: Mel Gibson, Chris Klein

One of the lesser known Mel Gibson war movies, We Were Solders takes you on an emotional ride showing the courage and sacrifices made by the 7th Calvary in the the battle of the Valley of Death, an area in Vietnam controlled by well over 4,000 Vietcong troops under a tactful Vietmaneese general.

The movie starts out showing you how the valley got its nickname ("The Valley of Death") when a troop of French soldiers is ambushed and utterly annihilated. Hal Moore (Mel Gibson) is called in to try a novel technique in fighting battles, hopping soldiers in and out of battle via helicopters. So starts the great battle.

The movie displays the entire battle, from entire platoons being torn to pieces, to Viet Cong being napalmed. Every gory detail is shown.

There was not a single part in the movie I did not like. This is easily my favorite movie ever. For more explination on what happens in the movie, drive down to your local video store and rent it. It's well worth the money.

5.5/5

RATING: 5.5

PROS: Excellent acting, wonderful action scenes, and it sparks emotion even in the toughest of people
CONS: Very realistically gory

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0277434/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

janklow
Sep 28, 2001

whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent.
and not to take anything away from the movie, but the book is even better.

jimmymick
May 18, 2004

charity is never good value
Couldn't agree more. Great film from start to finish.
I saw it at the Cinema and rushed out to buy it when it came out on DVD as it is a must own commodity.
It also goes to show just how talented an actor and director Mel Gibson is.

I'd give it a 4.5

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Loved the movie, bought the book and DVD.
One of the best vietnam movies made, I found it very strong, reading the factual accounts told in the book make it even more so. Quite a sad movie as well that brings a tear or two to the eye. 4/5

dotti
Sep 7, 2002
Sometimes I say things...
Excellent movie. Very emotional.

4.5/5

BaronVonKleist
Jul 30, 2005
One likes to believe in the freedom of music
Fantastic movie. Pure historical facts and action without bad acting or a love story.

5/5

KOFT
Apr 5, 2005
Doot!
2.5/5

The filmography is well done and the movie is well cast, however the film itself is nothing new. Takes most of the war-drama cliches and uses them.

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma
This movie is extremely overhyped. It isn't good at all. It has no emotion like other war movies (Saving Private Ryan, Platton, Apocalypse Now). War movies are suppose to make you care about the characters, and to tell you the truth, We Were Soldiers didn't have that feeling about any of the soldiers except for Mel Gibson.

2/5.

AngryTurtle
Sep 18, 2004

Freude am Fahren
Saw this movie a while back, and it is one of the more forgotten Mel Gibson and Vietnam movies. I found the action in it to be quite good, but I don't think they did a good job developing the characters. It was a very graphic movie, and dispite the fact it seemed to be very :911: , the ending scene was very cool.

3.5/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cypher
Jun 1, 2000
Forum Veteran
I didn't care for the melodrama of the home front plotline or the utter cheesiness of the scene with the VC general at the end. The action was alright but other films have done it better and with more feeling.

2/5