Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jototo
Sep 3, 2003

Directed by: Oxide Pang/ Danny Pang
Starring: Angelica Lee, Lawrence Chou

This Chinese thriller/horror film by Thai directors Oxide and Danny Pang is about a girl named Mun who has just gotten a cornea transplant to cure her of her blindness. Mun, who has been blind since she was two years old, has very little memory of what things look like, and one of the first things she does after geting her bandages removed is to find a mirror and look at herself. Slowly, Mun regains her vision, only to discover that she can see dead paople (I know it's been done before, but stick with me.) Mun is terrified and seeks the help of her Psychiatrist in order to track down the original owner of her new corneas-- a Thai girl named Ling. After meeting the girl's mother, Mun learns that Ling had the same ability as her before her death. Without giving anything away, the ending is as suspenseful as movie endings get.

RATING: 4.5

PROS: excellant imagery, visual effects, genuinely scary
CONS: starts off fairly slow, a few unexplained elements

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: IMDb: http://imdb.com/title/tt0325655/ official site: http://www.mongkolfilm.com/theeye/index_th.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

profbobo
May 22, 2004

Vivat Buster!
Checked it out the other night. I thought it was going to be scarier than it was, but it was refreshing to see a horror movie that didn't rely on gore to freak people out. The ending was rather out of place, I thought, but the visuals throughout the movie were, on the whole, pretty excellent.

I liked the little girl with cancer, too :(

OpaqueEcho
Feb 8, 2003

oh no no bro oh no
I really liked this movie. The blurriness of what Mun sees goes suprisingly far to provide suspense, and does a good job of creating the "what the hell am I looking at?" feeling that is so prominent throughout the movie. It gets bonus points for being one of the few Asian horror movies that actually attempts to have some semblence of a larger crecendo at the end, rather than trailing off like most (Ju-on, for example) Full of good, creepy moments - voted 4.5/5.

Aquasol
Jun 23, 2003

Destroy all dreamers w/ debt + depression...
I just saw this movie tonight and I really enjoyed it. There are a few elements that either weren't explained enough or I wasn't sharp enough to understand (why were Mun's grandmother and sister burning the missing report card?), but overall, I thought it was a refreshing spin on the "I see dead people" movie. It knew when to scare, thrill, mystify, and depress, and it was always very pretty, even when it was uncomfortable to watch.