Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Directed by: Milos Forman
Starring: F. Murray Abraham, Tom Hulce

Amadeus tells the story of Mozart and his life, as told in flashback by the composer Antonio Salieri, in his old age (ca. 1820 or so, he died in 1825). Salieri confesses his story about supposedly killing Mozart to a priest, while he sits in his little room at a hospital for the poor and mentally ill. Playing some of his then-famous compositions on his little, out-of-tune piano, he is saddened to hear that the priest cannot recognize a single of his works.

He then begins to talk about Mozart, from when they were both children about the same age, and how they both developed their life and music. He speaks of his envy and sometimes hate towards Mozart, and how he uses his powers as court composer to Emperor Josef in Vienna, against Mozart. The story develops into an absolutely fascinating tale about the two of them, Mozart's wife and father, and the musical and visual element is at least half of it. This is some of the finest classical music you'll ever hear, and I highly recommend buying the soundtrack if you want more of the same.

From one of the first scenes with the agressive violins thundering while the movie title and some credits are shown, it will capture you, and leave you gripped by the fantastic atmosphere and dramatic story. It is funny and tragic at the same time, and the weaker ones among you will shed a tear at the end I think.

My favorite movie.

RATING: 5.5

PROS: Music, atmosphere, comedy, tragedy.
CONS: The director's cut is bad.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0086879/

Pilsner fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Dec 13, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinion
Jul 11, 2001
Curses! You got to my favorite movie before me.

This is an awesome movie. One of those rare ones that anyone can really enjoy. And it is a brilliant film filled with brilliant direction and production. Peter Shaffer's screenplay is great. F. Murray Abraham and Tom Hulce are brilliant actors. It all adds up to make an incredibly charming, unforgetable movie. 5.5

MrEvilBreakfast
May 15, 2004

Drink your orange juice.
This film is absolutely brilliant. It manages to make the best of sight and sound, like period paintings come to life. The use of the music along with the film's context (like Salieri describing Mozart's music, while the song begins to swell in the background) is ingenious... It's not just filler, this movie used the music as if it were part of the scenery. Outstanding.

Voted 5.0

MillDaKill
Aug 19, 2003

How could you Carl?
one of my favorite movies of all time. If you have not seen this, stay away from the directors cut. It has many scenes that were rightfully cut because they are long, akward and screw up the pace of the whole movie. The DX is good to watch later though because it gives a lot more insight to some of the characters motives and explains why some things are the way they are.

5/5

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

Football man, the guy with the football plan

one in a million.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

5.5 One of the best films ever.

I can't even think of what to say, really - the sets, the acting, the costumes, and most of all, the music are all as good as they could possibly be. There are very few movies than can attain this kind of perfection.

Lethargio
May 29, 2003
Musician, Composer
It's extremely well done but just keep in mind that almost everything in the film is factually incorrect. (I had a musicologist confirm this for me.) It's a good piece of historical fiction though, and it shouldn't stray from the film's excellence. :)

Wastrel_
Jun 3, 2004

Read it and weep.
5.0. Definitely one of the best movies I have ever seen. F Murray Abraham was outstanding as a Salieri consumed by jealousy and hate, and later an embittered old man in an asylum, and Tom Hulce excellent as the wild, frivolous but hugely talented Mozart. Both actors really got into their roles, and superbly portrayed the various emotions associated with their respective characters.

My friend claimed before I watched it that it would be boring, but she was wrong. The film held my attention the full two hours and forty minutes.

janklow
Sep 28, 2001

whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent.
really, just a very fantastic film. one of those movies that vies for the top spot in my personal list of the best films out there. everything about this film is great: direction, acting, the script... it's just wonderful in every aspect.

what the christ
Mar 20, 2003

two little rikers

what the christ fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Feb 21, 2015

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

quote:

what the christ came out of the closet to say:
I first saw it in class a few months ago, and I loved it. I got the Director's Cut on DVD today at a sale at Barnes and Noble. I don't know if this counts as film discussion, but which scenes were added for the director's cut? I couldn't tell if the unfamiliar parts were new or if I just didn't remember them.

I give it a perfect score. (no pun intended hawh awhwah hewrb)
Added scenes:

* The scenes where Mozart tries to teach the fat guy's daughter piano - Unnecessary, Mozart almost begged on his knees for the job which was dumb.
* Scenes with Constance whoring herself to Saliera - Just awful, and not something I ever thought she'd do. Glad they cut that out.
* Saliera telling Emperor Joseph about how Mozart... I think it was about harassing little girls, and other dreadful things. Had no place.

I believe those were the major additions, and I really disliked the director's cut, as much as it's possible to dislike Amadeus at least.

electronic jew
Nov 19, 2003
pastor of muppets
This movie leaves you with the same "holy loving poo poo..." type feeling as "Silence of the Lambs" does.

5.5/5

Captain Corny
Dec 16, 2000

I absolutely loved Mozard passionately singing along with the choir when he played his own symphonies.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

I haven't seen this for far too long. It's terrific. The title almost counts against it because it's really about Salieri and his `mediocrity' rather than Mozart. As much as anything it's the casting that makes it. This is the first film I saw Tom Hulce in, and I just about despair of ever seeing him turn in another performance as good as this (it's his `Withnail'!). One of the things that really makes this film is the degree to which either the scriptwriter, director or Abraham - I don't know which - had the character of Salieri so thoroughly mapped out. Everything from his hairstyle, (iirc, he avoided wigs because of some kind of vow to God promising celibacy in return for success) to his addiction to confectionery, is worked into the script / performance in an understated, subtle way that fleshes out the character without getting in the way of the story. As an example of the art of film-making done well in its entireity, you won't find many better. And if you could pick someone to write your soundtrack ...

5/5

NADZILLA
Dec 16, 2003
iron helps us play
Great movie. I like how they portrayed the well-to-dos in this fictionalized history as real people instead of erudite poets. Hulce had such a bizarre take on Mozart that it was hard not to like him, and Abraham of course is excellent as Salieri. Bonus points for Elizabeth Berridge, who played Constanze--what a fine rack.

Four.

Music Man
May 24, 2003
Being a huge music dork, and having played a work or two from Mozart on clarinet, I really couldn't believe I didn't see this film sooner. Amazing music, great characters, great story...this movie has it all. I loved the reconstruction and useage of some of the older instruments no longer in widespread use, or the older versions of current ones. Very entertaining, I couldn't stop conducting along with the music.

5/5

STFU DONNY
Apr 8, 2004

I'M RIDIN' SPINNAZ! THEY DON'T STOP!
I loved every minute of this film, including the directors cut. It was very emotionally gripping and the acting was great (even the annoying young Mozart, I felt it was needed to portray the character accurately). I especially liked the way the story was told in flashback sequences. Also, the music is spectacular.

One of the best films I have seen.

Heckich
Sep 16, 2003
Arguabley the best stage to movie adapation of all time. The acting is terrific and the Opera scenes are nothing short of breathtaking, especially the performance of Don Giovanni, A Cenar Teco. A movie anyone who takes cinema seriously should see.

The soundtrack box set also acts as a nice opera compilation. :)

My only complaint is the unfair rap this movie gave Antonio Salieri.

Heckich fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Jul 4, 2004

FLaMEagle
Feb 3, 2003

Mmmm... just so damn juicy...
I whole-heartily agree. I saw this movie for a school report but was enthralled by its magnificence. Enjoyable by all.

5/5

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
I thought the movie was a little slow but very entertaining. I didn't like the actor who played Mozart very much. I thought he overdid the part, but I was accepting of it. The music was fantastic and held the piece together really well.

If you get this on DVD check out the Special Features. The interviews they do with the cast are both funny and fascinating. (See: story about the pineapple).

Voted 4.

SnowLeopard
Jul 4, 2004

quote:

MillDaKill came out of the closet to say:
If you have not seen this, stay away from the directors cut. It has many scenes that were rightfully cut because they are long, akward and screw up the pace of the whole movie.
5/5

That's really disappointing to hear!! I was actually wanting to check that out... I saw this for the first time a while ago when it came out on LaserDisc (whoa!). Definitely watch it with full surround sound if you can. The production value is stunning, and the loneliness, ambition, and religious themes wrap in and out of each other seamlessly. Beautiful.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

I finally got around to seeing this (on VHS of all things) and thought it was a remarkable film. The direction on everything from the music, set creation, wardrobe, artistic and technical effects to the character moments were all outstanding. Hulce's take on Mozart was inspired and Abraham's Salieri was great in all his subdued but seething jealousy.

5/5

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I absolve you...

One of my favorite movies. Too bad most of the people I saw it with in high school were bored by an "OLD MOVIE OH MAN THIS IS BORING WHERE ARE THE GUNS" but oh well

5.5/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beowulf
Jun 16, 2003

The multiplying villainies of nature do swarm upon him...
Such a great movie. Best money I ever spent. Hulce's only big movie was his best. So good, if not at all historically accurate.