Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Retroblique
Oct 16, 2002

Now the wild world is lost, in a desert of smoke and straight lines.
Directed by: David Cronenberg
Starring: Ralph Fiennes, Gabriel Byrne and Miranda Richardson

I’ve always found Cronenberg’s work to be a pretty mixed bag, especially his recent output. The Dead Zone and The Fly still remain his best, with Dead Ringers and Crash being worthwhile curiosities, but everything else, although not entirely without merit, seems to fall short of the bullseye. Thankfully, Spider is a welcome return to form.

Patrick McGrath adapts the screenplay from his own novel, weaving the tale of Spider Cleg, a young man returned to contemporary London society after a twenty year spell in a mental asylum. However, it’s not too long before his past comes back to haunt him and we’re given an insight into what makes him the man he is today.

Key to the success of the movie are the three main leads, particularly Ralph Fiennes, who delivers his most impressive performance to date (it was he who originally brought the script to Cronenberg’s attention), creating a character who is paradoxically completely alien and detatched from human society, while at the same time being completely sympathetic and mesmerising to watch. Miranda Richardson and Gabriel Byrne are also suitably impressive.

Spider remains one of the most atonishing movies of recent times — the combination of Fiennes’ interpretation of Spider, Cronenberg’s powerful direction, Peter Suschitzky’s gorgeous cintematography and Howard Shore’s minimalist score all come together to create a fascinating insight into a troubled psyché.

RATING: 4.5

PROS: Dark, gritty, uncomfortable.
CONS: Could have done with an edgier music score, but otherwise nothing to report.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://imdb.com/title/tt0278731/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Loved the book, couldn't wait to see the film. It's very good indeed, but this story still works better as a book. Notwithstanding, it's perfect material for Cronenbourg and he handles it really well. The only thing that quite freaked me is that Ralph Fiennes really looks the part in terms of his clothing and mannerisms, but he has perfectly tidy hair! I've never, ever met a schizophrenic with such a well kept barnet! Voted 4.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I kept nodding off. Stylistically it's got that unique Cronenberg touch, but otherwise it's a rather pointless and boring movie. Rating: 2