Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Montez
Sep 15, 2003

Frog blast the vent cores!
Directed by: Sam Raimi
Starring: Bruce Campbell

I first came across this movie in one of those weird collage ads MTV had back in the day. Among other things, it showed clips of a guy covered in blood spazing out and smashing plates into his head, running into walls, and finally sticking a huge knife into his hand while laughing maniacally. I though it was the greatest thing I'd ever seen, and I immediately started asking everyone I knew if they knew where the clips came from. Finally someone recognized the description I was giving and said that it was from Evil Dead 2 - I rented it the next chance I got, and it turned out to be everything I expected it to be.

I think the best way to sum it up is to say it's a perfect blend of Three Stooges humor and a maniacal slasher/zombie film - it's not scary at all, it's just over-the-top blood, gore, and violence with goofy dead pan humor and slapstick. The pacing in the movie is near perfect and the plot and story are very well done, both for making fun of generic horror movies and being interesting in and of itself. The camerawork is great as well, and there are a few scenes in Evil Dead that impressed me more than any film I've seen since (the car/house chase scene in particular). If I didn't already give another film a 5.5, this would be the one to get it.

RATING: 5.0

PROS: The greatest Horror/Comedy movie ever
CONS: None

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092991/

Montez fucked around with this message at 03:28 on May 31, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
The plot... who cares about a plot? It's all about the wackiness, bizarre camera work, and downright strangeness that makes this movie a winner. One of those 'stand alone' kind of flicks that you dont come across very often, and others try to emulate. Even Army of Darkness (its sequel) didn't hold up to this one in my opinion, mainly because it tried too hard. ED2 knows what it is and isn't ashamed- a Three-Stooges horror movie, the poster above said it spot on.
5/5 severed hands, with a bonus .1 for an eyeball in the mouth.

Squall91
Nov 19, 2002

DONG LARGO DEL BURRO DEL DONG
The best of the Evil Dead series.

5/5

RexDart
Apr 13, 2003

This movie is basically a recycling of the plot from Evil Dead, so much so that it could be considered a "remake". However, it is this film that deserves the praise.

Evil Dead II is good silly fun. The mood for the film is set perfectly in a hilarious camera-stunt early on where the camera, representing the evil spirit in first-person-shooter view, chases a victim throughout the house through endless twists and turns until eventually it loses sight of the victim and turns left and right to survey the room as if right out of a cartoon.

This movie is enjoyable to watch, poking fun at the genre but without the heavy-handedness of an outright parody. It's a well-made film for what it is, which IMHO allows it to be enjoyed by people without a particular interest in this sort of film. This film deserves its place at the top of all cheesy gore flicks, even better than Peter Jackson's Braindead.

Lloyddy
Sep 27, 2000

As an aside, the directors commentary on the DVD is very, very good and funny and informative and everything a commentary should be.

The film ain't too bad either.

niec
Mar 23, 2004
STUPID
DICK
This movie has somebody JUMPING ON A ZOMBIE/WITCH'S HEAD WHO'S EYEBALL THEN PROCEEDS TO FLY INTO SOME REDNECK CHICKS MOUTH.

I just wish there was more continuity between the movies.

Voted 4.0

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Just a little clarification, or rather my take on how the first two films relate.

Evil Dead 2 is basically a remake and an extension of Evil Dead. I guess all of this will have to go into spoilers, so here goes.

In Evil Dead, Ash and co. go up to the cabin and all those demonic hijinks take place, leaving only our hero alive. Then the 'evil' smashes through the house, and into Ash's screaming face, end of movie. In Evil Dead 2 the same thing happens, but it occurs in the first 20 minutes and Ash was only there with his girlfriend in the first place. So the sequel is a remake that slightly changes and recaps the original in a few minutes of the beginning and then carries on the story from were Ash got possessed. Or at least that's what I think.

Anyway, onto the rather short review itself. This is the best of the Evil Dead series, by far. I think it has the blend of horror and comedy just right and shows off Raimi's directing talents very well.

5/5

Scar Trek
Mar 6, 2002

I was here before this cliché crap and I'll be here long after it's cold and raped and dead in the ground.
The plot, since it's yet to be touched upon: A man takes his girlfriend on vacation, to a wooden cabin out in the middle of a deep forest. While there, the cabin is attacked by invisible demonic forces that would like to swallow their souls.

The truth behind the "remake/sequel" debate is available on the DVD edition's director's commentary. I believe it's pertinant to giving a fair review to this movie, as it's easy otherwise to see it as "just a total ripoff of the first film". It is as follows.

The first movie was heavily censored on initial release. So much so, that it was barely watchable as a horror since all of the horror was cut out. The Raimis weren't happy with this, and wanted to "remake" the movie without labelling it as such, and thus claimed to be a sequel. Given the first movie's status as a video nasty, and not knowing the sequel would become such a cult classic, they didn't think people would notice or care.

The first 15 minutes of the film was intended to be just a 3 minute recap using footage of the first movie, with the movie starting off with (spoilers for Evil Dead 1) Ash as the sole survivor. Unfortunately the Raimis couldn't get the rights for some obscure legal reason, so they threw in a throwaway plot about Ash returning to the cabin of the first movie with his girlfriend. About 20 minutes in, the movie starts where it originally would have done.

From there, you're in for a wild ride. It's a crazy movie about zombiedemons, chainsaws, shotguns, and Bruce Campbell's chin in a remote forest cabin. If you go into this expecting a classy, glossed-over, semi-serious movie, you'll hate it. This movie just wants to have fun, frequently defying rationale just to give the audience a sick laugh. There are more quotable one-liners than in possibly any other movie in history, save for Evil Dead 3. There's more gore than you can shake a severed limb at (though often green gore, simply to avoid the abusive censorship the first movie recieved). Campbell's pseudo-slapstick routines simply HAD to have influenced Jim Carey's early career.

On the technical side, it's just as crazy. The Raimis used some brilliant, inventive camerawork that's since been much-copied, they throw in bizarre sound effects just for the sake of weirdness, they got actors who ham it up to precisely the level the movie needs to walk the line between horror and comedy. This isn't big-budget slickness, it's low-budget done to the fullest simply by being inventive. And by god, it works.

Overall, if you can stand 80's B-movie special effects, and want a movie that will make you laugh, make you think "man, that's BADASS", and make you feel ill, you've come to the right place. So many movies, and even more videogames, have parodied and payed homage to this movie and Evil Dead 3, that you'll likely recognise large parts of the movie on your first viewing. In my opinion, it's worth every ounce of praise it gets, I've seen it dozens of times and still giggle & get grossed consistently throughout.

A genuine cult classic.

5/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZetsurinPower
Dec 14, 2003

I looooove leftovers!
This is one of the best movies ever, regardless of genre

5/5