Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scar Trek
Mar 6, 2002

I was here before this cliché crap and I'll be here long after it's cold and raped and dead in the ground.
The plot, since it's yet to be touched upon: A man takes his girlfriend on vacation, to a wooden cabin out in the middle of a deep forest. While there, the cabin is attacked by invisible demonic forces that would like to swallow their souls.

The truth behind the "remake/sequel" debate is available on the DVD edition's director's commentary. I believe it's pertinant to giving a fair review to this movie, as it's easy otherwise to see it as "just a total ripoff of the first film". It is as follows.

The first movie was heavily censored on initial release. So much so, that it was barely watchable as a horror since all of the horror was cut out. The Raimis weren't happy with this, and wanted to "remake" the movie without labelling it as such, and thus claimed to be a sequel. Given the first movie's status as a video nasty, and not knowing the sequel would become such a cult classic, they didn't think people would notice or care.

The first 15 minutes of the film was intended to be just a 3 minute recap using footage of the first movie, with the movie starting off with (spoilers for Evil Dead 1) Ash as the sole survivor. Unfortunately the Raimis couldn't get the rights for some obscure legal reason, so they threw in a throwaway plot about Ash returning to the cabin of the first movie with his girlfriend. About 20 minutes in, the movie starts where it originally would have done.

From there, you're in for a wild ride. It's a crazy movie about zombiedemons, chainsaws, shotguns, and Bruce Campbell's chin in a remote forest cabin. If you go into this expecting a classy, glossed-over, semi-serious movie, you'll hate it. This movie just wants to have fun, frequently defying rationale just to give the audience a sick laugh. There are more quotable one-liners than in possibly any other movie in history, save for Evil Dead 3. There's more gore than you can shake a severed limb at (though often green gore, simply to avoid the abusive censorship the first movie recieved). Campbell's pseudo-slapstick routines simply HAD to have influenced Jim Carey's early career.

On the technical side, it's just as crazy. The Raimis used some brilliant, inventive camerawork that's since been much-copied, they throw in bizarre sound effects just for the sake of weirdness, they got actors who ham it up to precisely the level the movie needs to walk the line between horror and comedy. This isn't big-budget slickness, it's low-budget done to the fullest simply by being inventive. And by god, it works.

Overall, if you can stand 80's B-movie special effects, and want a movie that will make you laugh, make you think "man, that's BADASS", and make you feel ill, you've come to the right place. So many movies, and even more videogames, have parodied and payed homage to this movie and Evil Dead 3, that you'll likely recognise large parts of the movie on your first viewing. In my opinion, it's worth every ounce of praise it gets, I've seen it dozens of times and still giggle & get grossed consistently throughout.

A genuine cult classic.

5/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU