Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravyn
May 8, 2002

A journey never truly has an end...
Directed by: Garry Marshall
Starring: Kate Hudson

Raising Kate is a film about a young woman, Helen Harris (played by Kate Hudson), who's moving up in the fashion industry as a soon-to-be agent for a top firm. She's a fun-loving, energetic person who's hip to the nightlife and modelling aficionados. She's got a great job, a nice place, and is not only known as a fun person to her friends, but also to her neices and nephew.

Helen goes to visit her family for a fun, albeit annoying, birthday party. This is the point after which the movie takes a turn for the worse. The following day Helen is interrupted at lunch by a phone call informing her of the loss of her sister and brother-in-law to a car accident. Helen is torn apart and goes to see the children.

Helen is appointed as guardian of the children by her now-deceased sister by means of her will. Helen at first is not willing to accept it, but does, and takes the children under her wings. Having the children turns Helen's life up-side-down as she loses her great job, has to move to a new place, and has to take care of the kid's needs. She finds help by means of a pastor who takes interest in Helen at a local Lutheran school, in which she enrolls the kids, and a neighbor who provides invaluable parental support.

After many trials attempting to be a parent and failing, Helen finally gets the picture and is able to take care of the kids on her own. She ends up with the job she loves and everyone is happy. The perfect happy ending.

My rating on this film: 1.5/5

The reason I rate this film a 1.5 is simply because of Kate Hudson and Joan Cusack's acting; it was really the only good part about the film. They both did a wonderful job; Kate as Helen with a great life which is suddenly interrupted by the loss of her sister and the needs of her kids, and Joan as "super mom" Jenny who fights internally with needing to help Helen as well being upset with the fact that she was not chosen.

There were many scenes in the film that made me groan in annoyance/displeasure/disbelief. I look for wholesomeness in films, and get quite annoyed when a film makes a choice that is blatant and didn't need to be done. One such scene has the kids at Helen's new apartment, looking out a window, watching Helen light a cigarette in the bushes to hide from the children. Henry (played by Spencer Breslin), who has to be no more than 12, chimes "We're in deep poo poo." I personally see no point in that whatsoever. He could have just as easily said "We're in big trouble." Another scene had Audrey (played by Hayden Panettiere) hosting a party at Helen's apartment. Helen cannot kick everyone out on her own because she's not sure enough of herself. When she tells everyone to leave, Audrey's boyfriend "BZ" (played by Michael Esparza) gives her lip. His overall character was to be a hardass, and his lines made a very poor, albeit cliché attempt at it.

Now, while I didn't like this film at all, there were a few groups of people in the audience that were :lol:ing quite a bit at different parts of the film. There were even a few parts that got a chuckle out of me. Either way, I found this film to be quite a bomb and wouldn't suggest anyone see it; at least not until someone can rent it for them.

RATING: 1.5

PROS: Kate Hudson's performance
CONS: A hollow plot that attempts to be a comedy

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0350028/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamieMadrox
Feb 8, 2004
DON'T CLOSE SH/SC THREADS
It's sad to see that kate hudson has been tempted by the path of the dark side recently...acting only in these trashy mainstream romentic comedies. Since her great and challenging performance in Almost Famous, she has done nothing of value. This movie is trash, another quick cash cow for mainstream America...and it sucks to see actresses fly down this road. 1/5 , and that's being generous

last laugh
Feb 11, 2004

NOOOTHING!
As much as I love Kate Hudson and as sugary sweet as this movie was I have to rate it below 2.5 for one simple reason: the length. This film also was full of relationships that only remained partially developed. It is as if the writers decided that numerous characters seemed liked a good idea but never wanted to explore them beyond a very superficial point. The result of this was a cast of Gimmicks that surrounded Kate: The tough boss, the nice neighborly mom, the nosy pastor, the "pottery barn" and obsessively jealous sister, and of course the sleezy teen boyfriend who had such hits as "I ain't playing no birthday parties anymore, you got a fake ID" (paraphrase).

1.5/5