Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pengO
Apr 15, 2003

get weird, turn pro
Directed by: Alejandro González Iñárritu
Starring: Emilio Echevarría, Gael García Bernal, Goya Toledo, Álvaro Guerrero

My god, I don't even know where to begin on reviewing this movie. I just finished watching it, and it really ranks up there with Requiem for a Dream as a terrible-yet-beautiful film. It's like a puzzle that pictures a beautiful lake but somebody's brains are splattered all over it.

The film opens with two people in a Grand Marquis being chased by another car. There's a dog in the back seat and it's covered in blood. People are screaming, the dog keeps falling off of the seat. A light ahead turns red, and the driver floors the car to squeeze through the intersection. Wham. He smashes into a car, and the lives of many people are changed forever.

The movie features three "love" stories. Octavio y Susana. Daniel y Valeria. El Chivo.

Octavio and Susana live in the same house, but Susana's married to Octavio's brother, a bank robber. Octavio gets involved in dogfighting to make money so he and Susana can move to Juarez.

Daniel and Valeria are having an affair, Susana is a model. They move into an apartment together, and there's a hole in the floor. Susana's car is hit by Octavio and his friend, and her dog falls into the hole.

El Chivo is a homeless guy who's also a hitman and an estranged father.

I can't say more about the stories without totally demolishing the story.

The film itself is absolutely loving brutal. There are graphic dogfights and dead animals and blood everywhere. I had to pause the film, go get my cat, and put her on my lap to make sure she wasn't getting mauled by another cat. The whole film definitely feels like Iñárritu directed it. If you've seen anything else by him (21 Grams, "Powder Keg," a BMW short film), you'll recognize the extensive loving use of blood and the gritty camera. When people gently caress in this movie, there's no passion at all. It's a cold, heartless experience but there's usually happy music in the background or a baby nearby or something.

A brutal, beautiful, heartless, and soulful film. I'll never watch it again because it was just too amazing.

RATING: 4.5

PROS: "Grit"-filtered camera, beautiful movie, emotional rollercoaster
CONS: Not in-depth enough on each character, gutwrenching

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://imdb.com/title/tt0245712/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003
I thought it was a pretty interesting movie. For me at least, the best part of Amores Perros was not visual (maybe I'm just not really an animal person, but the gore didn't get to me at all), but a very intruiging set of stories, all told pretty well and presented stylishly, if not memorably so. It does a good job of taking a very subtle theme and turning them into enjoyable and interesting stories, and especially doing something incredible: making three essentially unrelated stories into a single movie without it being eitheboring as all gently caress or impossible to follow. All in all, a good movie. I gave it a 4.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Brutal, visceral, gut-wrenching. I don't know if I can bring myself to watch it again, but I'd like to. One scene had me weeping. Very intense film. Rating: 4.5

NADZILLA
Dec 16, 2003
iron helps us play
This flick was full of great scenes, which are hard to describe without spoiling the action a bit. Lets just say Inarritu does "grit" better than most; his violence and car crashes seem flawlessly lifted from real life. And the scene where the trophy girl sees the new billboard is priceless. Great flick.

Five.