Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NADZILLA
Dec 16, 2003
iron helps us play
Directed by: Ken Russell
Starring: William Hurt, Blair Brown, Charles Haid

Eddie (William Hurt), a research scientist, gets fed up with his life as a family man. He leaves his wife and kids to experiment with a strange hallucinogenic substance with a tribe of Indians in Mexico. He brings the sample back to America and begins testing in an isolation chamber, where his theories on states of consciousness and "ultimate truth" start manifesting in physical de-evolution.

Altered States will turn a lot of people off right away because its stars are scientists and they speak that way. Eddie and Emily (Blair Brown) talk less like husband and wife and more like colleages. It's very erudite and psychobab-tacular, like a movie full of Pitchfork Media writers. What's important to realize, however, is that the dialogue is there to define the characters. It really doesn't matter if you understand what the hell their talking about because the actions explain themselves.

Altered States is full of "what the gently caress?" moments. It's loaded with freak-outs and bad trips, visions of hell and cellular mitosis and people drinking tea by a garden all spliced together. They sort of reminded me of those kaliedoscope effects they used to use in old lovely music videos from the 60s. The movie also features naked dancing indians, a runaway monkey-man and a smoky vortex into ultimate consciousness in the middle of a lab floor. If director Ken Russell was trying to give LSD freaks a bad flashback, I think he succeeded.

In spite of its weirdness, the movie is pretty entertaining. As Eddie gets closer and closer to his discovery, he draws more and more ire from his friends and his wife. You really don't know who to believe, or whether the experiment is ethical. Hurt plays the self-centered rear end in a top hat scientist to perfection, never considering anybody else's feeling but his own until the very end. Oh yeah, the ending sucks.

If you can weather the psychobabble and the incongruent plot, Altered States is quite a fascinating and atmospheric sci-fi flick. Down a shitload of peyote beforehand for maximum effect.

RATING: 4

PROS: Trippy, fascinating story
CONS: lovely Hollywood ending

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080360/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Very ridiculous. Hard to believe it was written by the same guy who did Network. Well, there were some good lines, but Blair Brown is no Faye Dunaway (and William Hurt is no Peter Finch). Terrible attempts to copy the 2001 visuals. Rating: 1.5

Eyecannon
Mar 13, 2003

you are what you excrete
This movie is loving fantastic, one of my favorite man-takes-crazy-drug-and-sleeps-in-sensory-deprivation-chamber-and-devolves-into-crazy-primate movies of all time!

4/5

poopdog
Jul 9, 2003

The gangsta specter of defeat, (in effect)
I saw about 3/4 of this when I was a kid, and had to leave it.

I finally got around to seeing it all the way through last night.

I thought it was great.

Definetly worth checking out.