Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Directed by: Wachowski brothers
Starring: Keanu Reeves, Laurence Fishburne, Hugo Weaving

It's the Matrix. A movie that set all sorts of new standards for sci-fi and action movies, and inspired countless copycats, not to mention parodies. Many of the scenes and ideas are quite unique, and of course there's the 'Matrix' multi-camera technique.

This is one of the absolute must-see movies of our generation regardless of whether you're much of an action fan. And if you like action, well, there you are.

RATING: 5.5

PROS: Concept, special effects, badass fight scenes
CONS: If you haven't seen it yet you've probably seen the ripoffs; typical action movie flaws; you might hate Keanu

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0133093/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
The reason for so many folks being disappointed at the sequels was because of the high standards set by the first movie.

Choc Top
Mar 17, 2002

YATTA, MOTHERFUCKER
The only things redeeming this movie are the neat special effects. If you listen to the dialogue and have half of a working brain, you will wish you didn't.

1 out of 5.

Mr. Sleep
Aug 2, 2003

Mind-blowing premise that, well, blew my mind when I first saw... the trailer. The movie was seemingly lackluster, and the shootouts (especially the lobby one) are remarkably simple and dull if you filter out the bullet time effects. The fight scenes were pretty good when they were short (Morpheus vs. Smith in the bathroom, Morpheus vs. Neo in the Dojo, etc.) but the longer ones started getting hokier as time wore on. And, rather unfortunately I might add, the rooftop shot's effect was ruined because of the Superbowl trailer. The backstory was excellent, the plot was decent, and Weaving takes the cake with his dapper suit and bad American accent.

3/5

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
lovely post!

Somebody fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jun 26, 2004

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

This film was enormous for a reason. If you're determined to pick it apart you're not going to find much to leave untouched, but at the time The Matrix was like nothing audiences had never seen, and that's got to count for a little, or even a lot. It's only been 5 years and it already seems cliched, because it's been parodied so often and its bullet-time and wire-fu are the standard now, but remember that this was the originator. 4.5/5

Oddity
Jun 22, 2003

"This woman here depicted will possess unseen marks. Signs that she will be the one to bring forth my works."
A landmark movie. Introduced many of these concepts successfully to the western world, and has some great storytelling involved. I give it a 5 simply because it is so entertaining both for the mind and eyes (at least to me, which is y'know, who's voting on it, ME!)

Horseface
Jun 29, 2003

Please put your hands together for Homosexuals the Gorilla!
I really didn't enjoy this film the first time I saw it, mainly because I'd just gotten off a John Woo binge and had seen Dark City recently as well, so the whole thing felt horribly derivative. The action in particular was yawn-inducing when compared to the Hong Kong masters. But over time I've come to enjoy it a lot. Unoriginal does not = bad, it's whether you use those borrowed ideas in a clever way, and The Matrix certainly did this. It also created a fantastic atmosphere, and is the earliest film I can think of that used techno to score action sequences. Though as much as I enjoy it, it still pisses me off when I hear people rave about how OMG ORIGINAL AND INNOVATIVE it was.

Even though it's certainly the best of the trilogy, I still like the sequels more since they actually showed me new ideas and concepts. 4.0/5

Boy Named Sue
Apr 19, 2003

YARRRRRR!!!
I put off watching this movie for the longest time, because it looked like a dumb hacker film. Needless to say, I was SO HAPPY to be so incredibly wrong. A plot that kept you hooked in the entire time, amazing visuals, great special effects and unbelievable acting. (With Hugo Weaving stealing the show as Agent Smith). A must have for any Sci-Fi/action fan.

5.5/5

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
This is one of the greatest action films ever made, a pastiche of many different genres from many different cultures filtered through the lens of 1999. The Matrix is the dawning of the millenium in celluloid.

5/5

JamieMadrox
Feb 8, 2004
DON'T CLOSE SH/SC THREADS
this was the most original movie i've ever seen; what an idea this was. the wachowski brothers are geniouses just for coming up with the premise. the only thing that could've been worked on was the acting; i honestly would've liked...maybe a brad pitt rather than a keanu reeves, something like that.

4/5

Eighteen Rabbit
Nov 28, 2003
ANOREXIA IS AWESOME!
Neat action scenes & special effects. Poor acting, whole thing is sort of corny.

Ceritus
Jul 31, 2002

C'mon, all the cool kids are doing it.
Great story, awesome cinematography, spiffy action scenes, mediocore dialoge, and some really sub-par acting. A benchmark of a film, despite all of its flaws. Pity the two sequels to it were such festering piles of crap.

4.0/5.5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deez nutz
Aug 20, 2003

by Fistgrrl
It lacks the depth and scope of the sequels, but the first film has certainly had the most impact on cinema. I can't understand some people's complaints about the dialogue - it definitely plays a more important part than dialogue in most films, and although not to as much an extent as in the sequels, watching it several times and listening to the dialogue carefully will help you to appreciate the film more.