Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xarthor
Nov 11, 2003

Need Ink or Toner for
Your Printer?

Check out my
Thread in SA-Mart!

Lipstick Apathy
Directed by: Tod Williams
Starring: Jeff Bridges, Kim Basinger, Jon Foster, Elle Fanning

As some of you may know, this movie is an adaptation of the first third of John Irving's amazing book "A Widow for One Year."

I've been excited about this movie since I heard that it was being made, and I must say that it doesn't disappoint. Superb acting and a very true adaptation of the book more than make up for the little nit-picky problems I had with the movie.

Widow is one of my favorite John Irving books and is worthy of it's own movie. I was a little sad that they didn't decide to adapt the whole book, but I guess I can always hope for a sequel.

---------

Synopsis (shamelessly stolen from IMDB):

Ted Cole (Jeff Bridges) is a children's book author coasting off his fame and enjoying his lavish, artistic lifestyle.

His wife, Marion (Kim Basinger), is emotionally paralyzed from a tragic accident which killed their two sons years ago, and can't get herself together to be a mother to their young daughter (Elle Fanning, sister to Dakota).

When the Coles take in a teenage writing student named Eddie (Jon Foster, 'Terminator 3') for the summer so that he can learn the ways of an author, the young man soon falls into lust with Marion, and the two embark on a sexual relationship that opens up the wounded mother emotionally and romantically.

---------

This movie is really one that is worth seeing whether you've read the book or not. Right now I think it is only in limited release (I caught it at the Angelica in Dallas) so you may have to wait for wide release, or be willing to drive to an artsy theater to see it.

If you've read the book, you may notice that a few things in the book are out of order, and because it's a screenplay they had to speed the action up, which makes it lose some of the charm of the original slow-paced book. But if you can let yourself relax and enjoy the movie for what it is, you certainly won't be disappointed.

RATING: 4.5

PROS: Excellent acting, great adaptaion of the original book
CONS: Only doing the first 1/3 of the book really doesn't do justice to the book.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

IMDB for "The Door In the Floor"

Amazon.com listing for "A Widow For One Year"

Xarthor fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jul 18, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dubber
Sep 11, 2001
HORRIBLE POSTER, SELF-OBSESSED POSTER.
I saw this movie last night and I must say that it was a beautiful piece of work. While the movie had a sad tone, there were also some lighthearted moments that set it apart from movies like "House of Sand and Fog".

Bridges, in my opinion was on top of his game this character was made for him. He was able to be the quirky, eccentric and irresistable character that he was supposed to be.

This movie was great at creating akward moments and tension, especially when it came to the high school student's parts in the film.

I loved this movie, I love Jeff Bridges and I recommend it very highly

4.5/5

pogue23
Aug 15, 2002

Son, I am disappoint.
i give this movie a two

I've never read the book this was based on, John Irving's A Widow for a Year , which according to my sister, this film only comprised the first act of.

that said, I DID see the film, and it was depressingly flawed.

the pluses:
it was beautifully shot and the locations were excellent.

Jeff Bridges did a "GOOD" job as Ted
the Daughter was Cute

the Minuses:
the Script had massive gaps

Kim Bassinger just did a lovely lovely job. she was thorughally unconvincing as both a grieving/depressed mother and a seductive "Mrs. Robinson"-esqe seductress. her character could have been played so much more tenderly, and with so much more complexity. I kept imagining some other better actress in that role, Sigourney Weaver, or Diane Lane, or someone else more capable of conveying the complex emotions that her character was undergoing. the best emotion that Bassinger could simulate was FRIGIDITY, all of her emotions were varying degrees of frigidity. it was so frustrating.

the Young guy was another dead fish. he was such a simple plot device.
we learn nothing about his character other than he's a horny teenager who's in love with Ted's Wife. he's not funny, or charming, or endearing in any consistent way. he just looks like some reject from an L.L. BEAN catalog

And this is how it goes down the line, all the characters, with the exception of Jeff Bridges' character, were all crude plot devices. none of them did anything inconsistent to type. some were even hillariously trite. Mimi Rogers, as Ted's Nude Model/ Love Interest is absurd and poorly defined. the audience is supposed to come to the conclusion that Ted is obviously cheating on his wife with MIMI Rogers' character. but there are no plot points that indicate this, other than she is his "nude model". artists arent always loving their nude models, this movie doesnt understand that, and it doesnt understand that the audience isnt going to assume a sex relationship on what its shown.

whatever i can go on and on..

dont even get me started on the multiple "watching the kid play with himself" scenes in the first .. one time was amusing, twice was just flat out insulting..

whatever.. i hated it.. save your money, dont see this movie