Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NADZILLA
Dec 16, 2003
iron helps us play
Directed by: Harry Harris
Starring: Natalie Gregory plus a whole shitload of pop culture sniglets

This live-action, TV movie production of Alice in Wonderland probably would have left that opium fiend Lewis Carroll blue-faced and gnawing his fingers in a fetal ball somewhere. It's a pretty standard adaptation of the story, highlighted by some of the most inspired casting I've ever seen. The moment I saw Sherman Helmsley sing his bitter lament on fear in a rat costume, or Sammy Davis Jr. tap dance around as a anthropomorphic caterpillar, I knew all bets were off.

The costumes are pretty good, and production is decent--visually, from a 1985 standpoint. But what really stands out is the cast. Steve Allen, Scott Baio, Beau and Lloyd Bridges, Ernest Borgnine, Harvey Korman, Sid Caesar, Patrick Duffy, Merv Griffin, Roddy McDowell, Telly Savalas, Martha Rae, Ringo Starr, John Stamos, Sally Struthers, Jonathan Winters and Pat Morita all make appearances in a veritable what-the-gently caress-happened-to-them cavalcade of celebrities from a bygone era.

Honestly, the only appeal of this flick is seeing the bit players show up, but that's more appeal than most movies. I'm giving Alice in Wonderland my three bong hits guarentee. If at least one of your greasy stoner friends isn't talking about how bad he's tripping after a half-hour of this gem, your nugs aren't dank enough.

RATING: 3

PROS: One of the more surreal things I've ever sat through
CONS: It's only as good as its novelty value, results may vary

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088693/

NADZILLA fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Aug 25, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

If this is the same Alice in Wonderland/Through the Looking Glass I saw when I was about three or four years old (circa 1986/7), this movie was loving awesome, at least from the perspective of a young child. Actually, I think I have only seen the Looking Glass part. It was extremely surreal (I only remember the chess land and some weird train ride and goat man and some men dressed in mice suits that rapped(?). The jabberwocky was one of the most frightening things I had ever seen in my life. It undoubtedly influenced my personal concept of "monsters" when I was younger. It was truly bizarre and something I would love to see again.

According to amazon.com, this is on VHS, but not DVD. :(

My four year old self would rate this a 5.0. I have no idea what I would think about it now. I'd probably still love it for the nostalgia.