Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clownhunter
Jun 16, 2002

by Eris Is Goddess
Directed by: James Merendino
Starring: Matthew Lillard, Michael A. Goorjian,

A humorous but somewhat realistic view of a Salt Lake City punk in college with upper/middle class parents. The movie is really neither pro or anti punk, it just portrays some of the problems with the punk view of life. Heroin Bob (Michael Goorjian), who is an insecure, straightedge punk, seems like somebody all of us know. Stevo (Matthew Lillard), the narrator, plays a charismatic young rich punk who begins questioning his own punkish views on life. When he talks about his punk view of the world he turns to the camera and talks.

The movie is filled with funny stuff. There is a hilarious part of a punk accidentally taking 100 hits of acid while running away from the cops. Speaking of LSD, all the LSD scenes are pretty well done. And its fun to see the rivalry explained by Stevo between the punks, mods, rednecks, and other groups.

But the movie does have some silly parts where it seems too obviously trying to appeal to the young punk wannabe crowd.

Besdies this, it has a great soundtrack for anybody who likes punk music.

Overall, I give it a 4.

RATING: 4

PROS: A pretty good representation of the upper/middle class punk attitude of the mid 80s, funny
CONS: Some silly parts obviously trying to appeal to young people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NADZILLA
Dec 16, 2003
iron helps us play
About as accurate a portrayal of the punk lifestyle as Hackers is of the hacker lifestyle. That is, no loving way. It's no coincedence that Matthew Lillard is in both, as he's stupendously miscast as a mealy-mouthed punk fond of speechifying his entire existence. SLC Punk is a very bad after-school special with no discernable value.

One.

DukeRustfield
Aug 6, 2004
This was a fun movie. Is it going to bring you to a higher level of consciousness? No. But I've known a lot of Mormons and I've known a lot of punks and punk wannabes and I think there's some solid representation. It's not a documentary, it's a movie. Imagine being one of two punks in a Mormon city with obscenely strict rules on booze and pretty much anything sinful. Hijinks ensue.

I also enjoyed the, hicks beat on rockers, rockers beat on punks, punks beat on ravers because they are the new hippies. Or something like that.

The scene with the hand in the hospital. "Have you ever seen the Exorcist?"

Evil Adam
Jul 18, 2003

He's very good.
I've always loved this movie. Most raging punk kids don't quite pay attention to the ending where Stevo grows out of the immature punk phase and gets a grip on reality, which is why I like it so much. It's also a really funny movie so all together I'd give it a 4.5.

BITCHTITS
Oct 22, 2003

Perry'd

I love this movie. Considering I was definetly at this stage a year ago its just great to watch. The Story gets loose at time but it has a great representation on the irony of it when you get older. I mean sure thats not how the punk life style is or was, but it a movie they have to exagerrate some things. The trndiness is true and so is the futility of it all. I give it a 4.5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
This was one of my favorite movies when I was in high school. I've always thought it was about growing up more than the punk lifestyle. The soundtrack is pretty good, and there are a few memorable scenes. I love the scene where Stevo explains the rivalries. Certainly not one of the best movies ever, but it's enjoyable enough for what it is.

3/5, it's good but not really anything great.