Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

irishjoo
Jul 20, 2004

Step 1-Curl and Drag
Step 2-Attempt to Shoot
Step 3-Get Soft Penalty
Step 4-Score just enough to make people forget about Steps 1-3
Directed by: Jon Turteltaub
Starring: Nicolas Cage, Harvey Keitel, Diane Kruger

I got to see a screening of this movie, so i didn't see the exact version of this movie that will be released but it will be drat close.

Plot: This is a basic adventure movie based around Nicolas Cages character searching for the treasure of the nights templar. There is alot of references to masonic rituals and beliefs, but more importantly their promenance on the founding of the country. Basically he finds out that there is a clue on the back of the declaration of independance that will hopefully lead him to find the location of the treasure. He also is being chased by another person looking to get there before him.(sorry for being so vague but i'm trying not to use any spoilers)

Review: This movie is rated PG(apparently what it will be released as) for a reason. it isn't an action movie and so if thats what your in the mood for don't waste your time. The plot itself is kinda out there with the entire declaration of independance and masonic rituals tie-ins. However the way its presented is very well done so if you don't focus much on the absurdity of some of the plot and just go along with the feeling of the movie it is fun. But ultimately a plot that isn't excellent makes for a movie that can't be excellent. I left the theater thinking it was somewhere between good and ok. Nicolas Cage plays his standard character the pussy who somehow takes charge of the situation. Harvey Kietel's proformance was good for most actors but disappointing for him, i attribute this to his lack of screen time. One of the best parts of this movie is Diane Kruger(helen of troy) basically because she's so hot and her acting doesn't take away from the plot. The actual finding and decephering the clues is pretty interesting, and they all teach you a little bit about american history. Sometimes Cages character seems to solve the puzzles a bit too easily, but that isn't a big flaw.

I'ld say that this is primarily a family movie or a movie for kids from grade 3-9. But its still enjoyable and interesting for anyone. To the parents on the board while its pg there still is a few scenes of violence and a few (old) corpses so just keep that in mind.the way me and my buddy i saw with was that it is like raiders of the lost arc mixed with a very little bit of mission impossible.Without the violence or a strong, memorable, and admirable hero like indy. The best review that i can give it is that it didn't seem like a Jerry Bruckheimer film even though it is.

I'ld recommend this to families, adventure genre fans, history buffs, and people who are interested in masonic stuff. If you don't fall into this catergory i think you'll still like the movie, but not enough to justify seeing it in theater. EVERYONE should see this movie on video or cable.

While i prefer more action packed movies i will have to give this movie a 3.5 because i had a few laughs, didn't look at my watch once, and was actually interested in the plot(despite it being relatively weak). While i don't rate it very high i can see others liking it alot more than i did.

RATING: 3.5

PROS: just a fun movie, the plot was conveyed as good as it could
CONS: the plot itself was kinda weak and childish

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0368891/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigzak
Aug 15, 2003
I just watched this and it was surprisingly good. Like the OP said it might be a little childish for some but I thought it was fun to watch and it keep me wanting to know what was going to happen the entire movie.

I'll give this a 4/5

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Sorry, done already.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1341370

bigzak
Aug 15, 2003
Actually this one was posted first but did not recieve response. I searched and this was the only thread that came up.