Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DukeRustfield
Aug 6, 2004
Directed by: John Landis
Starring: John Belushi

Written by Harold Ramis, Douglas Kenney, Chris Miller

The ultimate college hijinks movie. Also made John Belushi the god of American comedy. The movie still holds up today, though some jokes are a bit anachronisitc. Also started the law that Kevin Bacon must appear in every other movie.

"Thank you [sir], may I have another." (What's up with s.i.r. getting translated?)

The plot centers around a misfit fraternity called the Delta House and their juvenile lifestyle. The dean of the school puts Delta on double secret probation to try and keep their pranks under wraps.

"7 years of college down the drain!"

This movie took a big departure from the 70's style comedies of the time by playing totally serious. The DVD has comments from the composer where at the time most of the comedy movies had music that was...comedic. You know, whahwhahwhaaaaah. From the classical music intro, you have no idea you're about to watch a comedy until you see a statue of the university founder "Knowledge is Good," and a mannequin is thrown out the window of the fraternity.

"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life."

There is some class warfare set up by having a rival fraternity, the Alphas (I think) be filled with white bread society folks who hate the Deltas. They plot against them at every turn, to humiliate their pledges, to ruin their grades, to get them drummed out of the college. But at each turn the Deltas...well, gently caress things up even more.

"Over? Nothing is over until WE decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"

The movie established John Landis' love of music numbers (Blues Brothers, Michael Jackson's Thriller). Writer Harold Ramis (Caddyshack, Ghostbusters, Groundhog Day) as a great up-and-comer. And pretty much influenced every comedy since. The high point of American sex comedy, which kind of died out until American Pie.

"I can't believe I threw up in front of Dean Wormer. Face it Flounder, you threw up ON Dean Wormer."

Stork, the geeky character with glasses, a buzz cut, and hick accent was one of the writers Douglas Kenney. Tom Hulce, the freshman dweeb, would go on to lead act in Amadeus (and would become a prick and hate this movie later). Katy Allen, the freckled cutie, would go on to be the damsel in Raiders of the Lost Ark.

They couldn't get any college to let them shoot on their property because of the nature of the script. Finally, one college said okay. It turns out the dean had previously said no to another movie, The Graduate, which became an American classic. So he said yes to this one without ever reading the script.

About as good as comedy can get. 5.0

RATING: 5

PROS: Funny
CONS: The musical numbers are a bit dated

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077975/

DukeRustfield fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Dec 11, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vertov
Jun 14, 2003

hello
I really loathe this movie. It is incredibly poorly made (especially the editing) that it's almost unbearable to watch for me. I think the whole "reverse-rip-off" effect has killed the humor of this film as well, as it's been copied by almost everything since it was made. I actually liked the music, but that was about all.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

I love this movie. On of the best comedies ever made in this country. Anyone who doesn't like it is a sad being. I'm shipping off to college next year, and I can only hope that it will be a fraction as fun and crazy as this film.

PS:

quote:

DukeRustfield came out of the closet to say:

The penultimate college hijinks movie.

Penultimate means "next to last."

DukeRustfield
Aug 6, 2004
Hey, you're right. [strike]pen[/strike]

Snargockle
Jun 4, 2003
While some parts of this movie may need improvement, you have to remember how old this movie was and that it started a whole genere. Some of the things they do in this movie still hold true for college students.

I can't remember the first time I saw this movie, but I still laugh a lot when I watch it and I watch it on a regular basis (about every two weeks).

Snargockle fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Dec 11, 2004