Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Directed by: Vittorio De Sica
Starring: Carlo Battisti

Umberto D:

The film from Italian neo-realist Vittorio De Sica is centered around the life of a pensioner who cannot afford to live in post-war Italy. The first part of the film revolves around Mr. Umberto trying to gain the funds to pay off his debt while the second part showcases what Umberto does when he is unable to get any. In neo-realist fashion, the film was shot entirely on location in Rome.

The film was moving in the way it portrayed how society functioned in the post-war poverty. Rather than uniting in solidarity, each man or woman focused on themselves, as was evident when Umberto tried to get money from his former colleagues but they brushed him off speaking of their own problems. Umberto is too proud to beg and his former colleagues realize this but still show no help to him. The only characters sympathetic to him were his dog Flike and the maid Maria. While I didn't turn on the waterworks, my throat did get a little tight near the end. Sica, however, does end the film in a positive light which might be evidence of the underlying optimism that can accompany any situation.

8/10

RATING: 4.5

PROS: Honest look at a post-war Italy, Good performances by actors, Neo-realism
CONS: Can drag at times

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0045274/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I like Bicycle Thief, but Umberto did far less for me. I really didn't care for the main character at all. Maybe you're not supposed to, but then what's the point? I did like the fantastic use of perspective shots, though.

Rating: 3

Lisa Marie
Apr 3, 2001
Excuse me, I believe you have my stapler.
It had me depressed for a month. It was heart wrneching. I thought it was wonderful, but i don't think i can ever bring myself to watch it again purely because it was SO upsetting. De Sica does a great job of having the audience feel empathetic for Umberto withouth making him seem anymore important than the crowds of people in his situation.