Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Directed by: Newt Arnold
Starring: Jean Claude Van Damme, Donald Gibb, Forest Whitaker, Ken Siu

In my opinion this is the greatest martial arts movie ever. Nay, it is the best movie ever. Lots of cool fighting. A stupid love story. Ogre. Forest Whitaker. That's enough to make anything good. Plus the obligatory Van Damme butt-shot.

How could one not enjoy this film?

RATING: 5.5

PROS: Van Damme, A wide assortment of memorable lines and facial expressions, Forest Whitaker
CONS: Frank Dux is a douche, It spawned crappy sequels, Frank Dux is a liar

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092675/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S1N3R6Y
Jan 6, 2003
I used to watch this film with my brother when we were kids every time it came on tv. I'm sure most of you have watched this when you were kids too. It was awsome for it's time, but isn't up to today's standard for those that haven't watched it.

A classic van damme flick though.

5/5 bitch!

Red_venom
Jun 30, 2003

by Lowtax
To be honest this movie just resonates in my heart as the best action film ever made. More films need Bolo Yeung, Ogre and "Fight to Survive." Not even joking when I say I think this movie has some of the best fights ever as well. I know they might not be flashy, but they seem like they would work to some extent which gives them real weight in my mind. I don't know what to say, but this movie is awesome.

5.5/5 one of my top ten favorite movies for sure.

deadEd
Feb 20, 2001
In the realm of cheesy martial arts based movies, Bloodsport reigns supreme.

It's got Van Damme
It's got Bolo Yeung (best kung fu villan type ever)
It's got OGRE. OGRE YOU rear end in a top hat!

As if that wasnt enough to be entertaining, the fight choreography is actually really fun to watch.

5/5 as far as cheesy action goes. There really just arent many better than this.

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
I had to be on my toes, like a midget at a urinal!
Classic film, loads of great quotes, Van Damme cheesiness. Not too sure about the sequels though.

DukeRustfield
Aug 6, 2004
Man, this movie is old. I haven't seen it in 15 ish years so I'm winging it. I remember he blocks some stun gun pellets with a trash can lid. And he did a split and Ogre said it hurt just looking at it.

This was Van Damme's first movie and unleashed on the world the Muscles from Brussels. As such, it should get a -23982398 rating just for that.

A white guy chopsocky movie with a gal and being chased by the Navy(?) based LOOSELY on a real guy, if I recall.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
I really love this movie and I have a soft-spot in my heart for Van Damme. The music is absolutely awesome and so is the action (unlike the atrocious Bloodsport II). The story is pretty good and the film critic in me goes out the window when I watch a JCVD movie. Also, Ken (I think), Dux's Chinese guide, delivers his line so hilariously that he's one of my favorite characters.

9/10

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
Yes. This movie is a classic with Above the Law and No Retreat No Surrender. This movie goes by very quickly and has a pretty cool soundtrack in a sense that it retains its themes throughout.

However they could have represented some of the martial arts a little better. The white guy doing akido was horrible and the flashbacks were funny in a sense that Dux as a child is portrayed as a moron.

9/10

if anyone wants part of the soundtrack pm me

p.s. never surrender from kickboxer is awesome

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Chong Li is the best generic villain in a Martial Arts movie period, and Frank Dux is an actual flushed out character.

5.5/5 because it IS my favorite action movie of all time.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Chong Li. Chong Li. CHONG LI CHONG LI CHONG LI CHONG LI!!!!!

This movie is the king of cheesy martial arts based movies. And the martial arts, while silly sometimes (monkey fighter? sumo guy?) is based on a really cool idea... fighters from all over the world, in all different styles, duking (lol) it out for the championship. The fighting isn't always realistic, but it's always cool- it's not just the generic punch and kick of many movies.

A classic
4/5

Great Leader
Jul 8, 2003
Undeniably great
Absolutely without a doubt the best movie that has ever been created. This is the standard by which the entire world is judged.

tetro
Aug 17, 2004
hello, i am tetro
5.5/5 This is the absolute greatest movie ever. I think the defining moment of the film came when that guy said "OK USA." Then those facts at the end of the film also make it much more super kick asser. Frank Dux is faster than the flash. I think the sequels were a huge let down however, but the guy who replaced Jean Claude went on to become an agent in the Matrix sequels. Bravo.

ROOMBA floorvac
Aug 21, 2004
This movie is kinda similar to the game Goldeneye. When people talk about Van Damme movies, they almost always say "It was good, but not Bloodsport good".

5/5

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Forest Whitaker making Asians eat dogs jokes? "You lose American rear end in a top hat"?

And not to mention:
My body's ready
My heart's on fire
I'm gonna push it over the wire
Perfect timing
Tight as a drum
The final battle's already won

I'm taking hold of every moment
Given strength by the breath of life
I'm gonna stake my claim
I fight to survive!

Kumite, kumite
Kumite, kumite
Kumite, kumite
Kumite, kumite

I've worked hard every night and day
So I'm prepared to make my way
Mind and body are the perfect team
Now's my chance to live my dream

I'm taking hold of every moment
Given strength by the breath of life
I'm gonna stake my claim
I fight to survive!

Kumite, kumite
Kumite, kumite
Kumite, kumite
Kumite, kumite
Kumite, kumite
Kumite, kumite
Kumite, kumite
Kumite, kumite
Kumite, kumite
Kumite, kumite
Kumite, kumite
Kumite, kumite
Kumite, kumite

Easy 5/5

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Seeing this film here on the forums not only makes me happy; it warms my heart.

Me and my brother watched this movie constantly growing up, so it comes as no surprise that we both A) have it memorized B) quote it constantly.

We probably seem like freaks to everyone who hasn't seen it, but whenever you find someone else who has seen it, and they hear you quoting it, it's always the same reaction: "hahahaha Bloodsport!!!"

That being said, it's a great movie, fun to watch, and even more fun to quote!

"OK USA"
"Throw the fucka right off the runway"
"It's the american shitter who does trickcssks with bricksksks"
and of course, the already mentioned "You lose, American rear end in a top hat"

God this movie is so awesome.

5.5/5

Siberian Kiss
Oct 4, 2002

The danger on the rocks is surely past
I'm so glad this movie is getting so much love here. What a great cheesy martial arts fest loaded with quality quotable material. The leg breaking scene still makes me squirm. I grew up loving this movie and saw it a few weeks ago and it is still as awesome as it was back then. Sure it has some Chuck Norris and Steven Segal style cheese but somehow it aged better.

5.0/5.5

fatlightning
Nov 7, 2006
Love the movie, too bad the real Frank Dux is such a douche bag.

5/5

Anti-Social_Disease
Mar 5, 2002
It's also important to note that this movie was particularly groudbreaking with it's decision to cast a severly retarded boy as a young Frank Dux.

"Whuh kinduv uh dee-uhl?" 5/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oni5000
Feb 24, 2006

YOU ARE NEXT!
I can't help but watch this every time it comes on. It broke my heart when I found out that Van Damme was a fake and not a badass like in all the movies. Ironically the real Frank Dux has been accused of making up the story Bloodsport was based on as well. One faker telling the life story of another, ha!

5/5