Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tmfool
Dec 9, 2003

What the frak?
Directed by: Irwin Winkler
Starring: Kevin Kline, Kristin Scott Thomas, Hayden Christensen

When I first saw 'Life as a House,' I attempted to describe to my roommate my initial reaction to the film, finding myself at a loss for words until I decided that "weird" would be a sufficient answer.

But it wasn't. I went back to the film weeks later, feeling that I had simply written it off because it wasn't my usual cup of tea, and found in my second viewing something that combined a fair script, good acting, and a rather pleasant score. The story of a man diagnosed with cancer that sets out to right past wrongs in both his life and that of his estranged son's during the summer in which they build a house begins rather drearily, but develops a certain charm as the plot progresses.

Kevin Kline gives a fantastic performance, while Hayden Christensen plays an emotionally numb teen as you would expect him to: whiney, but in such a way that suits his character.

In my opinion, this was one of the more underrated films of 2001 that I would recommend anyone checking out.

RATING: 4.5

PROS: An engaging story with a capable cast
CONS: A few subplots which don't do much for the film

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0264796/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

_rustedshut_
Apr 27, 2003

The story revolves around a family trying to get through an emotional time. Their father suffers from an serious illness. While coping with the usual immediate family drama. They have their fathers life threatening burden lingering over them. All the while Hayden's character causes nothing but further distress. He's supposed to be an example of an angsty rebelious teen that nobody understands.

They build a house together throughout the film. It's an obvious metaphor to their family's evolving relationship. The premise is decent and would normally be somewhat touching. Although, because of the horribly choppy editing and Hayden Christenson. This movie sucks a fat dick. It's a straight forward drama and relies on the acting of its main characters. The movie Saw had horrible acting but, there were other elements there to keep you tuned in.

Then there's the choppy editing. Scenes shift way to fast. For such an emotional piece there should have been fewer and longer scenes. That way you can settle into the moment and get in touch with the characters' personalities. With this quick scene/cut style of editing, you get a taste then it's yanked out of your mouth. And I'll be damned if someone's taking my food... anyway, it gets three thumbs down.
1.5/5.5

DukeRustfield
Aug 6, 2004
The kid went on to become Darth Vader. With this as one of his only pieces on his resume, I couldn't figure out why he was chosen. Though he was much less annoying here than in Star Wars.

The movie wasn't bad. Wasn't amazing. Kevin Kline makes an impromptu toilet and I thought that was funny.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

This was a pretty good inspirational-drama type movie. OK, it's over the top Fixing up my house will give you a reason to change your life, son! And I have cancer!, but it's not down to the level of the Britney Spears/Hugh Grant/Disney/etc "message" movies.

The main thing I didn't like was the completely stereotyped goth-stoner son. I mean, wtf, he sucks cock for marijuana?! Hollywood has some funny ideas about what a "troubled" youth is really like. But the relationship between the son and father, and the little girl, is believable and kind of touching.

Worth renting. 3.5/5