Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Directed by: Federico Fellini
Starring: a bunch of Italians

Lusty teenagers trying to score. An elderly man boasts of his sexual prowess. Exaggerated (one might say "bad") acting. Big close-ups of breasts and bottoms. Obscene gestures. Urination jokes. Masturbation jokes. Fart jokes. Is it the latest installment in the Porky's series? No, it's just dumb ol' Amarcord, a lame film if I ever saw one. Fellini presents a series of anecdotes that are neither amusing nor charming, nor particularly interesting. A scene of the young boys dancing, in the fog with imaginary partners while basking in the former glory of a grand hotel, is not only cloyingly trite (and seems somewhat out of character) but it also comes off like a clumsy, desperate grab at the viewer's heartstrings.

Fellini limps from one tale to the next, employing a grab-bag of stylistic touches along the way. Characters who speak to the camera, "puffballs", weather as metaphor, the episodic nature of the narrative, mysterious appearances of animals, a dwarf nun and a blind accordianist. Collectively, it all appears to be a random meaningless mishmash of non-sequiturs. And the dubbing -- it may have been the Italian habit at the time, but it is exceptionally distracting, especially when it's done as poorly as this. You'd think a "master" like Fellini would realize this. There were some nice shots, good compositions, and I found the more direct commentaries on fascism a bit intriguing (and the only laughs in the film). But the rest of it was just... stupid.

RATING: 1

PROS: ummm... there's a couple of interesting shots
CONS: idiotic and annoying

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0071129/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fra. Bruno
Nov 4, 2008

I cleave the heavens, and soar to the infinite.
What others see from afar, I leave far behind me.

FitFortDanga posted:

Directed by: Federico Fellini
Starring: a bunch of Italians

Fellini ... stupid.

RATING: 1

PROS: ummm... there's a couple of interesting shots
CONS: idiotic and annoying

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0071129/

I think you're just trolling to get someone to respond: fine, I'll bite.

Man if that movie theater (or ocean liner for that matter) scene doesn't get you I ask how can you breathe without a heart? Also, you neglected to mention that Sophie Loren is in the movie. That is all.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner
This movie is considered by many Fellini's masterpiece, but it certainly requires some preparation before being enjoyed, and particularly so if you aren't a great fan or simply don't know Fellini well.

The movie isn't a recollection of memories of Fellini's childhood but are THE memories itself; in that it's a masterpiece, because it captures all the nostalgia and the dizziness of memories past, with some details being exaggerated and others completely lost. Just like a recollection of memories, there's no link between them, they just surface for some reasons in random order.

I once asked my grandfather why he remembered a happy childhood, when there was fascism, and war, and widespread hunger. He simply replied "I was happy because I was young". That's pretty much the spirit of Amarcord as well.

5/5