Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Directed by: John Polson
Starring: Robert DeNiro, Dakota Fanning, Elizabeth Shue, Famke Jansen

After the death of his wife, David(DeNiro) and Emily(Fanning) move to upstate New York to start a new life. Emily is still obviously upset over the incident, barely talking and rarely going outdoors.

While settling into their new home, Emily produces an invisible friend named Charlie while David makes flirty eyes with a local(Shue). Soon strange things start happening and David blames everything on Emily, while she insists that the ghostly Charlie is to blame. Emily's shrink(Jansen) and David both think that "Charlie" is just Emily manifesting her true feelings about her mother's death.

This movie is a cliche fest like no other. Within the first ten minutes my friend and I predicted the ending. Cats jump out of closets, quick nightmarish flashbacks are shown(you just get a little extra glimpse of the story each time) and bumps in the dark paired with musical stingers make the audience jump.

This isn't EXACTLY a spoiler, but I'll put it in tags anyway. It's like the writer said, "Hey, my favorite movies are Secret Window and The Shining let's rip them off and make a brand new movie that reeks of them both, especially the former.

I love movies and don't often get angry during them, but this was so bad I came close to walking out, and I've never walked out on a movie before. The only thing I was hiding from was the embarassment.

RATING: 0.5

PROS: Dakota Fanning is really good.
CONS: Everything.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0382077/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Yea, I saw this movie yesterday and it was pretty awful, it could have been a decent movie if the ending was a little better than it ended up being.

Overall I give it a 2/5 as the first half I kind of liked and was interested in.

thatdog
Sep 25, 2000

Por favor mantengase alejado de las puertas
Hide and Seek is laugh-out-loud stupid. The entire audience figured out the clichéd plot twist within the first 20 minutes and the delivery was so unconvincing that nobody even flinched during the 'scary' parts. Dakota Fanning acted circles around DeNiro and some of her lines were almost grin-worthy, but otherwise this movie is a complete waste of time.

Rating: 0

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

I predicted the end of this movie without even seeing it.

CoLlisIon
Apr 28, 2003

My girlfriend and I figured it out pretty quickly. It just dragged on and on after the climax and I just wanted the movie to be over. Also, I LOL'ed at Famke Janssen when she said "hide and seek" right before shooting Deniro. It was so loving random, why would you say that right before?

Pros: Dakota Fanning is "really pretty"
Cons: LOL overdone premise of the story

rating: 1.5/5

badtitties
Nov 23, 2001

The greatest survivor
that ever lived...

:911::911::911::911:
I did not enjoy this movie all that much. I agree that Dakota Fanning was extremely good in this though.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.
I was laughing through a lot of this movie. What the hell happened to Robert DeNiro's career? Wasn't he in the greatest movie of all time, Godfather II?

Poor writing all around. Not only was the ending "twist" the same "twist" of several other recent movies (one of which was on HBO last weekend), but the movie continued for like another 15 minutes after they told you, and those 15 minutes were just painful. Looking back on the movie, there were a lot of subplots that were just dropped and or didn't make any sense, and a bunch of scenes that went nowhere.

Unresolved plot issues:
- Why could Charlie and even the kid open the window, and David couldn't?
- What the hell was up with their squabbling neighbors?
- What was the relevence of the scene where they got the ticket from the cop?
- Why was there a spare bed and television in the creepy basement?
- What the hell was up with that cave?

Nothing to recommend here, unless you like bad horror movies a whole lot.

DonMagicJuan
Jun 16, 2001
Isn't De Niro supposed to be one of the greatest actors of all time? He has starred in a string of mega-hits and legendary movies that defined American cinema and has cemented himself as the superlative actor of his time. Who then, may I ask, was in Hide and Seek? It was like looking at someone who was wearing De Niro's skin, spoke with his voice, but had none of his (earlier?) talent. Fanning at age 11 far outstripped De Niro's performance, what a creepy little girl she made me think. But De Niro, it was like he just didn't give a poo poo anymore. I started to feel like I could have given just as good a performance in the role of David, and I'm as far from talented as you're likely to find in a human being.

Rating: .05

Pyroman[FO]
Feb 1, 2003
And what was up with the little girl's drawing at the end? She had two heads? Is that supposed to be creepy? What the hell does that mean?

rndm
Aug 31, 2001

:dukedog:
I ended up laughing throughout the whole movie. Dakota did a really good job and I really liked the chick with boobs coming out of her dress but for the most part it sucked.

Rating: 0

Xidus
Aug 7, 2000

quote:

Pyroman[FO] came out of the closet to say:
And what was up with the little girl's drawing at the end? She had two heads? Is that supposed to be creepy? What the hell does that mean?

Probably the obvious.
But just to note that there was an alternate ending shown in roughly 50% of theaters internationally that did not include the drawing, it involved Emily in an institution.

Pinkied_Brain
Aug 4, 2004

That was horrible. The plot is bad, even De Niro is not very good.

Rating 1.0 for the few unintentional laughs the movie gave.

Aquasol
Jun 23, 2003

Destroy all dreamers w/ debt + depression...
I held off on seeing this in theaters based on the thorough panning it received from reviewers both on and off this site. I did rent it, however, and I'm glad I did, because I completely disagree. Although it falls short of being the best movie of the year, it did have a lot going for it. I didn't see the twist coming, but admittedly I'm not the type that likes to try to guess what's going to happen. I just think that that takes away a lot of the enjoyment.

I'm going to vote this a 4.

Duke of Phillips
Jul 6, 2004

by Tiny Fistpump
I think that this isn't really given a fair grade by most people. Dakota Fanning was excellent and creepy, and De Niro was average, but that's more than what I am used to by now. It was genuinely creepy (though still had FAR too many OMGJUMPOUTATYOUAHHHH scares) for most of the film, but that loving twist ruined it.

2/5 because the first 45-60 minutes are drat good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.
Pure loving trash.

quote:

Dictionary.com supplies us with the following synonyms for idiotic
asinine, batty, crazy, daffy, daft, ding-a-ling, dull, dumb, dumdum, fatuous, foolhardy, foolish, gorked, half-witted, hare-brained, harebrained, imbecile, imbecilic, inane, insane, jackass, jerk off, lunatic, moronic, senseless, silly, squirrelly, thick-witted, unintelligent