Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Decapod73
Jan 4, 2003

ten legs are better than two
Directed by: Joshua Marston
Starring: Catalina Sandino Moreno, Yenny Paola Vega , Virgina Ariza, Guilied Lopez

A pretty 17-yr-old girl is her home's primary source of income in Columbia, until she gets fed up with her lovely job and gets herself fired. While looking for new work, she lands herslef a job as a muel, swallowing sixty-some packets of cocaine with the promise of a huge paycheck upon her return from the US.

Considering the number of teenage and unheard-of actors in this film, I was impressed by the quality of acting from most of the people in this film. It really exposes the plight of those living in 3rd world nations, and offers some insight into how they view the drug trade and the United States in general. Actually, the final outlook was pretty depressing. It did have a couple scenes where I wanted to shout at the screen "just tell character Y that X happened", or "for christs's sake go do Z and make your life easier", but otherwise, it was still a good movie.

RATING: 4

PROS: educational, and the plot has its intense points that really drew me into the film.
CONS: I sometimes wanted to smack the characters for being childish. Also, it's all in Spanish with subtitles, if that's a problem.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.mariafullofgrace.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I was expecting to be beaten over the head with the "DRUGS ARE EVIL" message (like the horrible Requiem for a Dream) but it wasn't like that at all. Harrowing at times, but also hopeful. A very well-done, well-balanced understated film. Rating: 4

quote:

Decapod73 came out of the closet to say:
I sometimes wanted to smack the characters for being childish.

17 years old = child

bgack
Jun 7, 2002

rambo
This movie was really well done and the view of the characters and linear plot made you really feel for them. It's a great outsider's view how callous the drug trade can be, by focusing on the people hurt the most by it. Not uplifting, not really depressing, but overall I wish more films liek his would be made.

4/5