Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Directed by: Alejandro Amenábar
Starring: Javier Bardem, Belén Rueda, Lola Dueñas

I went into this film thinking it was going to be about a disabled man and his thirst for life. Can you blame me since the previews made it out to be that way? Well, needless to say, I was pretty wrong. The film caught me pretty offguard when Ramón said he wished to die. However, his wish for his own death does not put a depressed pall over the film. Rather, the opposite takes place. The film seems to become one that affirms life and shows how great it can be in the face of death. Yet the film doesn't go so far as to condemn Sampedro's desire and it treats it very poignantly, wrapping the viewer up with his journey towards his own death.

More than a film about the morals of euthanasia, the theme of love and what it means comes up constantly. We see characters in love, trying to find love, or losing love. It's this underlying aspect of the film that really ties it together.

Great performances by Javier Bardem (who absolutely lights up the screen even with his limited mobility as a quadriplegic) and his supporting cast really bring this film to life and allows the viewer to genuinely connect and feel empathy for all involved, from the senile father to Bardem's bedridden character.

Beautiful camerawork and a score that is almost numbing with its fittingness are the toppings to this awesome œuvre from Amenábar. Very few films have the ability to cause emotional torment in myself and this film succeeded in that aspect and deserved the Oscar it won.

RATING: 5.5

PROS: Bardem's performance, no heavy-handed morals, cinematography
CONS: Um...the music was too loud at a couple points?

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0369702

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wither
Jun 23, 2004

I have a turn both for observation and for deduction.
I voted 0.5 because the movie literally does advocate viewer suicide.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Raises some interesting questions about life and death, and recognizes that there are no pat answers. Feels like a bit like a made-for-TV movie though, or maybe a step up, like a made-for-cable movie. Not that there's anything wrong with it -- the performances are good, and there's some flair to it, it just doesn't feel like something you'd go see in a theater. Rating: 3.5

gooni
Nov 14, 2002

This is the story, about a man named HOPEY
The most impressive aspect of this movie is without a doubt Bardem's performance. You should see the movie for this alone, and until you do it's hard to understand what makes it so perfect. His eyes act, if that is at all possible. Remove everything else and watch his eyes the entire movie and you'll feel every intended emotion.

5/5.5