Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nightkids013
Apr 30, 2004
And thats the second time I got crabs
Directed by: Matthew Vaughn
Starring: Daniel Craig , Michael Gambon, George Harris, Sienna Miller, Colm Meaney

Having seen Guy Ritchie's work and knowing he and Matthew finished products are quite good.

The film starts with Daniel Craig's character, who will be here after referred to as X, giving a brief history lesson of the UK’s drug world, and features an interesting prediction (great soundtrack also) into the future look of drug sale. The first quarter of the film bounces between X and the object of his frustration, Duke. The latter of which runs a much more sloppy operation than his counterpart,

To sum this up and not to ruin or spoil the film, X does business through Jimmy as does Duke. Duke does a deal that goes awry and what ensues is a world of nightmares one after the other for X.

This film is written and directed amazingly.Fantastic acting. Being a huge Ritchie fan I thought I would have a biased eye going into this but Vaughn has done his own name perhaps even better that Ritchie could do his own.

Brits be proud. :britain:

RATING: 5

PROS: Plot and its developement are amazing
CONS: Get past the Brit accents

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0375912/

nightkids013 fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Mar 22, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost
I thoroughly enjoyed this film. In some senses, you can argue that it is yet another UK ganster caper flick. However, this film takes a much darker, more mature tone than the two most recent notable examples, Lock Stock, and Snatch.

In many ways it harkens back to the older Uk ganster films of the seventies, and it is all the better for it.

The characters ae interesting and well played. Hell, the chavs in this film are so accurately portrayed it almost gave me hives (horrid, beastly people!) :)

The latter portion of the film will either be crushing pathos, or a bit annoying, depending on your view of the worth of the characters.

Either way, this film is well worth checking out, and gets a healthy 4/5 from me.

Kabz
Jul 29, 2004

This film needs more reviews.

If you liked Snatch, or Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels.....
you should like this, although its not a given.

Layer Cake takes on a different atmosphere.

It can be gritty, or it can be elegant.
Certain scenes will catch you off guard, and its a movie that DEMANDS your attention.

There are a bunch of storylines, but they remain central and involved with the protagonist rather than non-linear. Its multi-linear until its bottlenecked into a climax which provides some closure and inspires a lot of thought.

The most enjoyable part of this film was the cinematography. I loved it. The brilliant angles, the flawless use of CGI, these are things that make a movie a lot better for me. Thats what made me vote the way I voted.

The story is fresh, and interesting......but again, some people may not like the whole "drug-underworld" theme.

Pros: Funny! Brilliant Camera angles. Well-balanced action, and enough of it.
Cons: Its hard to understand sometimes, but thats what you get when you are dealing with cockney accents. The cons are minimal, you just have to really pay attention to get the most out of the film.

Either way I will give Layer Cake
4.5/5

Kabz fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 21, 2005

exp0n
Oct 17, 2004

roll the tapes

exp0n fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Nov 30, 2014

Radio on the TV
Jul 9, 2001

Who will save our village?
Great movie. I read the book beforehand and thought it was a great adaptation. If you didn't like the ending He lives in the book, and I have heard more books are planned so...

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

A good film. I loved Lock, Stock ... and disliked Snatch (quite a lot), and I fundamentally dislike Guy Ritchie, so I didn't have very high hopes for this one, but the semi-change of genre has worked well. This is a film to make the time to see, rather than a film to see to kill time. 4/5.

Bozz
Jan 26, 2002

Bumping this from the depths for a quick review, maybe more people will check this out.

Incredible film. A British equivalent of sorts to Goodfellas, and easily earns a spot right next to that film in cinematic history. Stellar acting all around, great soundtrack, and very funny. The dense plotting rewards multiple viewings. Simply awesome direction and cinematography by Matthew Vaughn and his crew. Vaughn proves to be immensely talented and I now eagerly look forward to his next work. If you like the crime genre of films you can't miss Layer Cake. I keep reading comparisions to Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels, but this is easily far above that movie.

5/5

Bozz fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Feb 12, 2006

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I liked the movie, but I couldn't shake the feeling that it was trying way too hard to be way too cool. The play-by-play for this movie would run something like this:

LOOK ITS ANOTHER SCENE OF DANIEL CRAIG BEING IMPOSSIBLY COOL, FOLLOWED BY AN EXCESSIVE PLOT COMPLICATION OUT OF NOWHERE, AND OH NOW SOME GUY WITH AN UTTERLY UNINTELLIGIBLE ACCENT, OI!

Actually, that's being unfair. This is a very well made movie all around. And nobody should complain about a gangster movie for having a plot that requires more brains to figure out than average.

The comparisons to Snatch or Lock, Stock & Two Smoking Barrels are not apt in my opinion. Among other things, those movies were a lot sillier, whereas Layer Cake is almost completely serious. Yes, they are Brit crime movies, but this is much more in the vein of gritty, no-bullshit crime movies like the original Get Carter.

3.5/5.

fanthom
Sep 6, 2005

ain't carryin no fuckin pads

sean10mm posted:

The comparisons to Snatch or Lock, Stock & Two Smoking Barrels are not apt in my opinion. Among other things, those movies were a lot sillier, whereas Layer Cake is almost completely serious. Yes, they are Brit crime movies, but this is much more in the vein of gritty, no-bullshit crime movies like the original Get Carter.

I agree completely. I'm a huge fan of Lock, Stock & Two Smoking Barrels and this movie doesn't have the same qualities that made me love Lock Stock. However, I liked this movie for what it was and didn't expect to see a Snatch of Lock Stock. I enjoyed the plot and didn't think it was trying to be too flashy or Hollywood. I think I'm one of the few who actually enjoys the British accents. Nice and refreshing if you ask me. I give the film a

4/5.

Also, Sienna Miller is loving hot.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Just watched this last night. If your a fan of Lock Stock or Snatch, you will more than likely love this movie, just be prepared for a much more serious tone. Daniel Craig fits his role perfectly, Colm Meany's role is actually a really likeable one despite what idea you may get of him early on, and the rest of the cast works extremely well. The Chavs as another poster said were straight on, and like Snatch and Lock Stock, the ending is always a sharp twist from what you'd expect.

Edit:I figured I'd throw this in but the other day a Friend and I had a disscussion how this movie was bascially the thinking man's Scarface. He made money, but he wasn't reckless or careless about it, knew how to set up a double cross without getting himself killed, etc. Truly a cool, calm, and collected character.

easily a 5/5.5

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Mar 14, 2006

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
I happen to love movies with complicated plots, like the Big Lebowski or the first Mission: Impossible, so I fell in love with this movie. About midway through, you realize that the only thing you can predict will happen next is that everything and everyone will be hosed in some way.

The protagonist is reminiscent of Dirty Pretty Things or Hotel Rwanda, in that he always seems to be getting into lovely situations because of others' fuckups, and yet his extreme resourcefulness gets him through every time. For that reason, this movie is fascinating to watch because you spend the entire time thinking, "How the gently caress is he going to get out of this one?"

4.5/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginzo
Aug 18, 2004

Nuff yer billygoatin sassafras.
I absolutely loved this movie. The plot was superb, with a Snatch-esque character layout and development. With a foot in the door of narcotics, the main character still maintains a sophiscated and elegant persona. The screenplay is very well done, the music is excellent, and the story is enjoyable. A little romance is thrown in, giving the movie a nice twist. Also, I totally loved the ending, whereas some people threw a shitfit. This was the first movie directed by Matthew Vaughn, and I must say i'm impressed.

Pros: A dealer with no name, with more class than Tony Montana.
Cons: Too few to count.

4.5/5