Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midnight Bruiser
Sep 14, 2005

by Ozma
I love this movie for many many things. I hate a shy camera, and this movie ain't got one of them. Tits, violence, you get the whole pack. Well except for certain parts, that would probably rocket people out of cinemas.

It's a non-realistic movie (based on a comic book, duh) and what I like about that is that unlike many others it doesn't pretend it wants to be taken seriously and the standard shots in the shoulders/arms from almost point blank distance are forgiven in advance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I've got mixed feeling about this movie (which I've just watched on DVD).

It is a great visual translation of the comic. In a strange way, it maybe be the best use of CGI in movies I've ever seen, becuse the unreal aspects of the effects often support, rather than detract from, the look of the movie. Just looking at the DVD menus, which include a mix of comic panels and bits of movie scenes, reminds you how well this was done in the movie.

The movie is ludicrously violent, but most of the time it looks unreal or super-stylized or you don't actually see the worst bits up close. There is one exception involving the Yellow Bastard his manual castration by Hartigan that I found pretty horribly disgusting, though.

Overall, the acting was good. Some of it seemed kinda flat, but overall it was fine. The characters are overblown caricatures of stock film noir characters, which were caricatures to begin with, but this was fun for the most part, as was the abundant use of noir cliches gone mad in every other aspect of the movie. As for the story, there was something about dames and guns and rain and mad-dog killers and everything being corrupt and smelly, but nothing terribly interesting in and of itself. The story was just a pretext for overblown characters to do ludicrous things in a cool setting with exciting action while saying cool stuff.

3.5/5.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.
Stylized violence and not much else. I suppose I didn't "get" it. The various "plots" were thin, the attempt to tie it together at the end was pointless, the dialogue was weak and horribly cliched, the characters were one-dimentional.

BAM BAM BAM TITS rear end BAM BAM rear end BAM BAM TITS TITS TITS rear end rear end BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BOOOM TITS

2/5. The visuals redeemed an otherwise crap movie. Also, Jessica Alba is hot as a pistol in this.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

I rented this a month ago, and seeing this thread just reminded me about it.

I loved the film, and seeing this reminded me I have to go out and buy the DVD. I thought the acting was virtually spot on from everyone involved, and particularyl loved Willis and Del Torro who played an awesome bad guy that I could sympathise with to some degree.

I don't think I have seen an actress look so hot as Alba did in this film. I know that hotness isn't an acting skill, but it made the movie even more fun to watch, so I count it as a plus.

I am really struggling to think of a bad thing about the film. The only thing I can think of is that my wife refused to watch it because it was so obviously dark from the first 5 minutes and she knew she wouldn't like it. I take that to mean it is a guys film and won't appeal much to the girls.

I'll give it a 5, it was the best film I have watched for a long time.

Patient_Toffee
Apr 21, 2006

Break me off, show me what you got
Cause I don't want, no one minute man
I couldn't wait to get out of the cinema when i went to see this, it is truely awful. Of the three stories in the film only one is anything but pointless, Marv's story is ok and kept me interested but the other two are really dull. The story of the prostitutes is dull to begin with but really isn't helped by some really useless acting. And the other story with Bruce Willis and that yellow guy is incredibly stupid.

I have no idea why people are trying to make this out to be some kind of noir masterpiece, because it really is anything but.

Moronic ? Yes
Silly ? Yes
Stylish ? No