Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheTourist
Apr 28, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Directed by: Todd Solondz
Starring: Ellen Barkin, Richard Masur, Matthew Faber

I loved this movie. If you've seen Welcome to the Dollhouse, Happiness, or Storytelling, and hated them, then stay far far away from Palindromes. If you liked them, you will love Palindromes. It's Solondz' best movie by far, both artistically and entertainment-wise.

It's about a 13 year old girl who wants gets pregnant, and is encouraged to have an abortion by her mother. This is early in the movie, and the movie then goes places you won't expect. The girl is played by different actresses, of different ages, sizes, and colors. The switch of actress is cued by a title card. It's never confusing, and very effective. I can't exactly say why its effective, although the obvious thing to say is that it shows this is a story for all women.

I laughed a lot, but of course there is a lot of serious business in this movie. Many scenes work on the level of comedy and drama equally. I left this movie with a weird mix of emotions that didn't go away for hours.

RATING: 5

PROS: hilarious, moving, thought provoking, entertaining, intense, disturbing
CONS: disturbing

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0362004/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Internet
Mar 24, 2004

Uhn tiss. Uhn tiss. Uhn tiss.
One of the girls that plays in it: one of the red-headed young ones goes to my high school and I saw this movie the day it premiered.

I loved it; and I think its almost on par with Happiness.

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

While I have always always enjoyed Solondz' stuff, I wasn't particularly excited about seeing this film. It sounded interesting enough, but nothing really stood out from the previews that gave me the impression that this was a "must see" film. After watching it though, I can definitely say that this movie is one of the most entertaining of the year.

It is at points hilarious, thought-provoking, depressing, and of course, disturbing. In the end though, it is simply a very entertaining film.

4.5/5

squirrellypoo
Feb 8, 2003
This might possibly be my favorite film of the year, and definitely my favorite of Solondz's previous films. If you can laugh at abortion, lolita-esque paedophilia, and especially at the Christian right, then you'll love this.

It was one of those films I kept thinking about for the next week, and that "la la la" theme song running through it was so memorable I can still hum it a month later.

5/5