Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheGoatFeeder
Mar 16, 2005

"One Zaba, Two Zaba, Three Zabaleta, Four Zaba, Five Zaba, Six Zabaleta, Seven Zaba, Eight Zaba, Nine Zabaleta, Heeeeeeeeeey Zabaleta"
Directed by: Wes Craven
Starring: Neve Campbell, Courteney Cox, David Arquette

Firstly a bit of background, this sequel is set 2 years after the original film in Woodsboro (a small town where a serial killer goes on a killing spree mainly through high school students). Sidney Prescott is now in college, alongside Randy Meeks, another survivor from the original, in fact one of the main suspects from the first film. In fact here is the first problem, Randy was a great character and a good suspect he was almost loopy with his love of horror movies, and his love for Sidney in the first film could have made him a fantastic killer in the second movie, but i guess, maybe that would have been too obvious . So whether this character dies or not (im not saying) he remains sadly underused. Anyway basically this is a fun film and a good sequel, most sequels to slashers are generally appaling, 'I Still Know What You Did Last Summer' Anyone? But Scream 2 has one of the masters of the horror genre going for it, Wes Craven who brought us slashers such as 'A Nightmare On Elm Street' and the horror classic 'The Hills Have Eyes'. He does a good job and the problem is the writing which is once again done by Kevin Williamson who wrote the original Scream film and as good as that was, this sequel is really to much Dawsons Creek + Scream, than a genuinly scary horror movie. That isnt to say there are not some fantastic elements to this movie, the very first death of the whole movie Phil Stevens (Omar Epps) is a really good inventive death, although after seeing Scary Movie maybe it is slightly tarnished . Another positive is working who the actually killer is, the first installment its comes down to 1 or maybe 2 of 3, in this movie it really could be anyone, however this leads to a problem the fact that one of the people Mrs Loomis is completely random and yeah i guess she has a motive, but its weak, and her accomplice, i really didnt appreciate that, he had no motive what so ever and was clearly only included because its obvious one person couldn't manage the killings on her own .
As for the acting well yeah its really solid Neve Campbell isnt looking bored yet as she does by the third installment, and Courteney Cox is still looking hot, which she certainly doesnt by the third film, and of course thats a positive we always need girls to look at. Talking of good looking female stars, im brought onto Sarah Michelle Gellar, what is she doing in this movie, yes in the original it was funny seeing an A-List star Drew Barrymore get killed in the first scenes of the first film . But here it didnt feel right, anyone could have taken that role, SMG I think only got it because of her looks, not to say its not a brutal and exciting part of the film. Finally the comedic elements of the original just dont seem to be there, the first featured many nods to other horror classics, and although Williamson tries in the sequel it just doesnt work, aside from a scene towards the start feature Randy in a film studies class talking about how sequels are generally awful there really isnt anything to it, the point of this scene is that sequels never live up to the original, and I guess they proved their own point with this film.
Overall reviewing this film its tough to not give anything away, but what i will say is that this is a fun sequel with some good and pretty gruesome kills and although at times its unrealistic Dewey got butchered by ghost face, he would never survive that its a perfectly fun film, yes its not a patch on the original but never the less its a good sequel and far better than I ever expected it to be

RATING: 3.5

PROS: Some really good and inventive kills, Interesting Who-Dunnit Element, A lot of Fun
CONS: Rubbish Killer (working out who it was is fun, but the actually killer has a dull motive), Not as good as the first

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120082/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU