Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
Directed by: Andrzej Bartkowiak
Starring: Karl Urban, Rosamund Pike, The Rock

I caught a free advanced screening of this movie tonight and boy am I happy I didn't have to spend $9.25 on it.

I hope none of you are expecting anything other than a cliched, badly-acted, poorly written video game adaptation. I'm sure some of the material will evoke some nostalgia (like the BFG) and the first-person shooter scene is pretty cool, but other than that, it's pretty bad.

Two weeks until it opens in theatres everywhere. Don't lose any sleep over it.

edit: I'm probably being way too hard on it but what can I say? I didn't like it.

RATING: 1.5

PROS: First-person shooter scene is pretty cool
CONS: Everything else is pretty loving awful

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://imdb.com/title/tt0419706/

Vernacular fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Oct 20, 2005

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
DON'T BUMP STUFF YOU DUMBY

p.s. there was a duplicate thread, here is the review:

Fatnick posted:

Directed by: Andrzej Bartkowiak
Starring: THE ROCK!, Karl Urban, Rosamund Pike, a bunch of largely forgetable actors

I got to see this at a sneak preview tonight with a couple other goons. Thank god it was free tickets. It's pretty bad. Not the worst movie ever made, but still, pretty goddamn awful.

It's really just a dumb movie. The plot is dumb, The comedy moments are dumb, The characters are dumb, the action... meh, it's alright.

The Rock just doesn't cut it as a commander, he doesn't have a commanding voice, that, and the writing was pretty bad, which didn't really help. Instead of using a command voice to order someone around (you know what i'm talking about... a voice that has authority behind it) he just accentuates what he wants with "motherfucker" or "gently caress" or some other kind of swearword.

"Semper Fi Motherfucker" (insert rolleyes here)

The first person part of the movie, which is only a minute or so long, doesn't help this one much. It's almost laughable, they pull out some almost evil dead style gags with some of the zombies which doesn't really fit the movie, especially at that point in the film.

If you liked AvP, you'll like this one too.
that should sum it up for you.

1.5/5 - not the worst movie ever made, well below avarage.

RATING: 1.5

PROS: shooting things, the BFG, cool looking monsters, Everyone has flashlights on thier guns
CONS: Bad Acting, Bad Plot, First Person Camera scene

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0419706/

Somebody fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Oct 21, 2005

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp
PROS:
-Its Doom
-References to Carmack and Willits of id fame
-Monster animation / makeup / costumes / whatever were pretty effective
-First Person perspective is a cool idea

CONS:
-Its Resident Evil...IN SPACE!
-Has absolutely nothing to do with Hell, which is unfortunate
-60% of the movie is strictly buildup until you get to the action
-The much lauded "first person" camera point is too short and suffers from 'lets pack as much poo poo into it as we can in the shortest time possible'
-90% of the action in the movie is the First Person portion. The rest of it is packs of actors moving slowly around dark halls, ooooh

Rating: 1.5/5.0

Nasty316
Oct 10, 2005

Just Nasty
I just got done watching this movie. This will be the last movie I will ever see with out reading a review first. At least the theater is good about giving money back for trash movies, which I did not know that you could watch a whole movie and then get your money back because you felt betrayed and lied to. This movie was thrash it should have been burned before releasing.

Rating 0.5 / 5

stangman
Mar 13, 2003

Actually I really liked the movie. If you can get past the no hell thing, its very much like a DOOM game on screen. Pure loving chaos with death around every corner. Like I said in the discussion thread, the premise of the games was just a BS 'plot' to get you to the gameplay. The 'gameplay' in the movie is as close as you can get to DOOM, without having an hour and a half of some guy shooting 328 imps. The plot and premise is pretty immaterial IMO. If you expect DOOM 3, play DOOM 3 again. If you want a cool rear end creepy as hell video game movie based on DOOM, then have fun.

4/5

Sidpret
Jun 17, 2004

Caught a midnight screening yesterday. Woof, what a terrible movie. I struggled with laughing all movie long and finally lost it at the FPS scene, which was made with all the technical precision and cunning craft that I've come to expect from carny folk. Maybe this could have been pulled off if it had embraced its camp origins a little more.

It would have been all worthwhile if they had just had realistic, online fps style handles, like LOLBUTSEKZLOL! But they couldn't even get that right.

I'm begging you, don't spend $9 to see this.

0/5

pitchblende
Nov 17, 2003

I think I don't give a fuck about what u think. I think that without help anyone will suck in there. Also I think u need to beat it!
Just saw it last night and I was surprised because it wasn't as bad as I figured it was going to be. The first person perspective part was well done. Acting was pretty good as well. I think the only thing that was wrong with the movie was how they tried to adds things from the game for humor.

3.5/5

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

I went to see this last night and went in expecting standards that at least level Resident Evil Apocolypse in watchability, I was sadly disapointed...wait til this comes out on DVD and rent it from netflix or something, not worth the 9 bucks I paid....

1.0/5.0

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Not terrible. The film suffers primarily from really uninteresting dialogue and bad pacing. The casting is pretty fun, with the marine team nicely varied and easy to recognize which team member you're looking at. In the hands of a different person, who could give it better pacing, it'd have been a much better film. Lots of suspense builds just don't work.

The FPS section, as unanimously mentioned, is the high point and a good deal of fun to watch. The nice nods to the game series were cool, good gore, and the Rock has fun.

As good and as bad as Resident Evil.

2.5 / 5

artbell
Oct 17, 2004
west of the rockies, you're on the air
As a film, trash. As a nerd nostalgia experience, enjoyable. Carmack and Willits references, familiar enemies. B F G!!!!!!, first person sequence - all very satisfying "nerdgasm" scenes. I did not go into this movie expecting a movie, I went in to see Doom on the big screen. I feel I got what I expected.

2.5/5

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."
PROS:
-Pinky and chainsaw scene.

CONS:
-Every set looked like it was recycled out of X-men.
-Boring Action scenes that scream hollywood stamp press.
-No Hell in the physical sense
-Whole movie had a been there done that feeling to it.
-Got very campy towards the end.

I'm a huge Doom nerd and felt betrayed after watching it, take it as you will .

1.5 / 5

Kenor
Jun 5, 2002

"IGN, arguably one of the last bastions of credibility in game reviewing"
I can only think of a few things I did not like about this movie. One, the cheesy as hell "10% of the genome" scene, most of which was in one of the trailers. Two, the "annoying guy" team member is a bit too successful at being annoying. The only other complaint I have is that more FPS action would have made it even better, but so would a bunch of hot naked women, and one can hardly fault them for not including that.

Really, I thought it was a great movie. Hardly best of all time material, but among my favorites for the year. I have to wonder what some critics are expecting from their stupid action movies. Everyone loves Predator, everyone loves Terminator 2. Those movies are dumb as hell in terms of plot or character development or dialogue or what have you, yet people can appreciate them as stupid action movies. Why is the latest crop, including Resident Evil and Doom, so frowned upon? It boggles my mind. Especially since those old movies had way worse special effects and no awesome first person sequences.

When the DVD comes out, it will definitely be going on my shelf along with the good old Arnold schlock, to be viewed no less than thrice a year I am sure. It was pretty much exactly the movie I had hoped it would be as a fan of Doom and stupid action films.

4.5/5

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma
4/5. How can you people honestly poo poo on this movie that much? It's great for the fans, and all you have to do is go in the theater with your brain turned off. That said, the only thing I think that could have perfected this movie would be if Sarge came with the half-tank and fired multiple BFG shots at the end. And what the gently caress was with everyone saying there are only 5 monsters, as well as the complaints that the movie was too short?

Pros: Pretty much stayed true to the game, and Mother fuckin' Oorah! or whatever he says toward the end...
Cons: Didn't totaly stay true to the game.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

This is a good action film.

I see a lot of scripting techniques from the movie Ailen.

This is good

4/5

Bloated Pussy
Jun 9, 2002

dont read my posts
This movie is horrible and only a few good sequences and so-bad-it's-funny moments redeem it in any way. It's humorless, drawn out, and so removed from the game that if it weren't for the occasional nod, you'd almost forget it's called Doom. For a movie based on a frantic, intense video game, the movie sure is slow and creepy.

The first person shooter sequence was neat, but it comes after a such a meandering buildup that it's far from worth the wait.

antihero
Oct 11, 2004

I enjoyed this movie. It contained good action and awesome fight choreography between Reaper and Sarge. Even though the first half of the movie was quite slow, the second half definitely made up for it.

4/5

Zhanism
Apr 1, 2005
Death by Zhanism. So Judged.
This movie was better then I thought. It didnt have Hell Demons but I thought what they came up with was decent and understandable to the average movie goer. I was expecting just blood and guts and I was glad that there was actually some suspense elements to it, though I have to admit the first half could have used more monsters and fighting. The second half was pretty cool though, with the first person shooter POV being the best part of the movie though a bit too short. The fight with the Rock and Urban was pretty fun and I liked the changing of the character of the Rock. All in all, the graphics were top notch and there were some nice moments of humor in the film.

3.5/5

Knotty Naughty
Jul 11, 2003
I went in expecting a terrible movie -- the more it sucked, the more I was expecting to enjoy it. It was actually pretty creepy, but the best part was that the movie KNEW how cliched it was, and I found that hilarious.

3.5/5

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Hey man. You're number one. Put it. In. The Bucket.
This movie was pretty much exactly what I expected for a movie based on the Doom games. One-liners, guns firing, and hellbeasts. Only the lack of actual Hell was pretty lame.

But a... decent flick nonetheless.

3/5

TommyTerror
Feb 4, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Watching this drunk wasn't enough to entertain me, and I'm an easily entertained drunk.

Once again the amazing pair of my brother and myself predicted 99% of this formulaic sci-fi flick. Which, seriously, had as much to do with DOOM as Alone in the Dark the movie had to do with the game-namesake it was based off of.

Zombies in space, that's what this is. There was no reason for this to have even had the title of the game. Just to get people to go, I guess.

The scripting was standard sci-fi horror, the character acting the same, the action scenes, well honestly, they were obviously action. Though I will admit the First Person moment in the movie was pretty cool, it just made me wonder why I wasn't just playing the loving game!

At the end it comes down to Eomer vs. The Scorpion King Now that's a movie I'd pay full price to see!

Don't pay full price to see this. Sneak in the freaking door or go see it at a dollar theatre. Then you won't feel like someone stole something from you.

1.5 / 5

I asked for 6 of the 8 dollars I paid to see this back from the theatre. They asked me to leave.

edgar_
Sep 4, 2003

kampen mot gud og hvite krist er i gang
Grimey Drawer
The only reason I went to see this was because Hollenshead or somebody said that if this movie is considered a success then they will have a better chance at making Quake the movie, which I think would be easier to do because that has a better storyline than "marine killing demons in space." Also, as a note, this movie would have been a lot better had there been more killing and more demons instead of lots of wandering and talking and "oh gee i dunno some space disease!"

Disappointing for me as a Doom fan and just an action movie fan was that they only used about two weapons in the entirety of the movie, the machinegun and the BFG. Putting in the rocket launcher, plasma gun, even the shotgun would've given it plenty of excuses to throw some well needed action into the movie, which is otherwise all concentrated in the last 30 minutes or so. (What is the deal with the proximity mine thing and the "ST grenades"? Why couldn't they have made some sort of homage to actual weapons in the game instead of making some up?) There is no sense of chaos or total destruction, but there is almost too much tension at all times.

Surprisingly for me, I actually didn't hate it. I was mildly entertained the entire time, which for a movie I was expecting to hate, was pretty good. It still has pretty much nothing to do with the game, but whatever. Also, I wish they had thrown Romero's name in there as some other doctor because he deserves credit for the success of the Doom franchise almost as much as Carmack, and it would've been cool to see him make some Marine his bitch.

Rating: 2.5/5

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I just got back from a showing, and all I have to say is ... wow.

The producers sure did an excellent job of hiring some really perfect writers... perfect, that is, at sucessfully avoiding ever playing or watching anyone play the actual game. My rear end in a top hat could write a better screenplay, and it probably has.

This movie's biggest problem was that it was simply not Doom. They tok pretty much everything that was Doom and threw it out the window. They might have done this to pander to religuous fanatics, which is both sad and loving retarded, since religious fanatics are not in any way the desired demographic target for this movie. Religious people either hated and avoided this game and will hate this movie, or they played and enjoyed the game and will hate this movie.

Things the movie got correct:
  • Part of the movie takes place on Mars.
  • There are UAC facilities.
  • There is a BFG.
  • There are zombies.
  • The "demons" you see kinda resemble the ones from Doom 3.
  • The "first-person-shooter" sequence was well done in a technical sense.

Things the movie got wrong:
  • This movie had essentially nothing to do with the Doom games at all in any way.
  • No actual demons. Not even demon-like aliens, which I could have accepted.
  • No Hell. No Hell-like world.
  • Imps act like the stereotypical horror movie monster - grabbing enemies from above and taking them into the ceiling or through the floor. No fireballs at all. That is NOT a goddamn imp. The imps only other attack is to launch their tongue into the neck of a victim, converting them into another infected human.
  • The Hell Knights don't throw any plasma. They aren't much tougher then an imp. That's not a Hell Knight.
  • None of the Zombies use guns.
  • Only one Pinky demon. Actually wait, that IS almost like Doom 3. But in a bad way.
  • That's the grand total of all the enemies: four.
  • All the demons are humans who were infected with an extra chromosone.
  • Retarded Science alert: Apparrently your DNA determines if you will become good or evil. If you're good, the infected people won't try and infect you, and you get super-human healing and strength. If you're bad, you change into a demon-thing.
  • Until the very end, all the gunplay goes like this: infectee attacks from ambush, surprising the good guys, and either kills its victim or escapes into the shadows. Demons running away is not Doom.
  • It's sometimes hard to see what's going on in the FPS sequence, and a large part of it basically goes like this " open a door, turn a corner, shoot, look other way, be surprised by a thing, shoot, open a door, turn a corner.." It felt like the laser pistol arcade machines where the character goes on a scripted path and scripted enemies are tossed at you whenever the shot changes. Not the best
  • The final fight is a fist fight between two people. That's not Doom.
  • My rear end could write a better screenplay that's more true to the games.

If you want to see a mindless "cliche monster horror movie", you might like it. If you want to see a movie based on the Doom games, don't go to see this one. Don't listen to the people who thought this was a good translation of the games. Play Doom 3 instead which has a much better story which makes a lot more sense and is a lot more fun.

I can't wait for someone to make a movie based on the Doom games, because whatever I saw today sure as gently caress wasn't it.

1/5

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Oct 25, 2005

ColdCock
Jun 3, 2001

God's Hand
Caught this flick with a friend two nights ago and here's what we thought (Keep in mind, we are both pretty big fans of the game):

It was Doom as a movie. Mindless action, eye-candy, and a barebones skeleton of a plot. Sure, they got some things wrong, but unless you're anal, it's entertaining. It's not scary, but then again... Doom (game) never was scary. Nor was it supposed to be.

The first-person sequence was surprisingly well-done, and not overused. The monsters looked pretty authentic and the CGI was really good. You had to look pretty close to notice that almost all of the locales are CG.

Plus, the creepy guy from Batman Begins was pretty entertaining.

Went in expectin a 0.5 and came out with a 3.5.

3.5/5

Recycle Bin
Feb 7, 2001

I'd rather be a pig than a fascist
DOOM follows the classic movie formula of a group of soldiers travelling into the unknown and dying one by one. Attempts at making us care for the characters are superficial at best. Reaper, who is more or less the lead protagonist of the film, alludes to his parents dying on Mars for some reason. This is never expanded upon, so we're just supposed to take it at face value that Reaper is a deep, mysterious character. Oooooh! The biggest deviation from the game is that instead of demons from hell, the monsters are the horrible by-product of mixing human DNA with alien DNA. Apparently these aliens have an extra chromosome that gives them super powers. Last time I checked, all an extra chromosome gives you is Down Syndrome, but fact-checking is the least of this movie's problems.

The Rock is in the movie. He swears a lot. In fact, everybody swears a lot. The dialogue is a mish-mash of cursing and poor attempts at wit. There was a group of french people behind us in the theater. I'm not sure if they understood english but they wouldn't be missing any worthwhile exposition because of it.

The first-person part of the film is just as cheesy as the trailers make it seem. Monsters look superimposed into the scene, making it feel like a game of Area 51. The director expected us to think this was a clever nod to the games.

No. Sorry.

To the film's credit, as far as movies based on games go, DOOM is the most faithful adaptation to the source material. I don't want to imply that this is really worth bragging about - The Mario Borthers movie script for instance was actually written for a completely unrelated film. The bar is pretty low.

When reviewing bad movies, people like to exaggerate and call them "wastes of film". I can truly say, without hyperbole, that DOOM was not only a waste of film, but a waste of the lives of those who worked on it. Nobody's lives were richer for having made this film. It wasn't even a learning experience. This was not a notch on anybody's belt and even the extras would be better served to leave this one off the resume.

If the people who worked on this film have any kind of soul, then they took extra long showers and cried themselves to sleep every day of production. DOOM was made defiantly in the face of all reason and good taste.

I don't consider myself to be above mindless action flicks. Hell, Desperado is in my top 10 all-time favorites list. That said, I couldn't appreciate DOOM on any level. Bad acting, awful directing and for the love of god, Hollywood, monsters grabbing people from behind has been done to death!

0/5

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Pros:
-It was less than two hours long.
-It was funny.
-Sarge's "I'm not supposed to die" line, cause Sarge doesn't die in the games

Cons:
-Flashlights on guns. :wtf:
-No Hell, no hell demons
-All the bodies at the gate on earth went away for the final fight. they didn't turn into zombies as sarge put a bullet into all of them.
-Sarge was evil. No. :wtf:
-First person mode. I didn't like it. It made me laugh more than think "oh this is cool." Didn't really feel "first person" either.
-The big guns (chaingun and BFG) looked heavy, but the actors tossed them around like they weighed as much as rubber versions of them. oh wai
-the acting, script, etc.

See this movie if you want to laugh, and cry about how they butchered DOOM.

0.5/5

Zombie Dictator
Jan 14, 2005

by angerbotSD
I'm shocked this movie has above a 2 average. How anyone could give this movie above a 3 just loving baffles me.

I mean, come on, no Hell? Why even call it loving Doom? A staple of the game is fighting an assload of demons from Hell with a huge amount of weapons and ammo. This movie instead tried to be Resident Evil with ZOMG EVEL CORPERATIUNZ DO BAD poo poo. The FPS scene was good in that "this is such a bad idea" sort of way.

I paid for the matinee, and if it wouldn't make me look like such a cheap shitheel, I'd have asked for my money back.

1/5

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

Let me just start by saying this:

This movie was loving atrocious.

The only similarities to the game are the setting, the BFG, and the creature design. That's it. Demons? No way. Try genetic mutants or zombies or some stupid poo poo like that. No portal to hell, no demons, nothing of the sort. I'm still not quite sure what the bad guys were, apparently if you add another genome to a human, then it either turns you into a superhuman, or a loving zombie. Oh, but wait! These aren't your run of the mill kill everything zombies, noo! They only attack certain people!

And where did this all come from you ask, if not from hell? Well I'll tell you! Apparently, there used to be people on Mars! Yes! It was at this point I gave up on trying to make sense of this convoluted abortion of a story and just tried to enjoy the action sequences.

Well, it failed on that front too.

The movie starts out, and the Marines are all suited up, ready to kick some rear end. gently caress yeah, I think to myself, this is gonna be sweet! Well the action in this movie is loving lacking. One by one, the idiot Marines get picked off. Where are the hordes of demons, throwing fireballs, flying skulls, cacodemons, any of that? Oh, they must be down the hall at some other movie, because they sure aren't here. I swear there were like 3 or 4 monsters in the whole loving movie, and they were all lousy scientists.

So yeah, one by one the Marines die, until all we have left is The Rock and Eomer of Rohan. The movie takes an unexpected twist here, where The Rock becomes the bad guy, and Eomer becomes the savior of mankind by getting shot up with the same poo poo that turns people into mutant zombies, but instead it makes him superhuman. You would think the last boss of the movie would be the loving spider demon thingy, or the ultimate badass CyberDemon, but alas, it's just the Rock.

Even the gimmicky first-person sequence couldn't save this movie. Save your money, or go see Serenity instead.

1 out of 5.

EDIT: Oh, also don't do drugs. The aliens might kill you. :rolleyes:

Edit #2 for spoilers.

Shredder fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Oct 24, 2005

Phenwah
Feb 3, 2003

Phenwah fucked around with this message at 22:30 on May 5, 2023

jesusbite
Jan 27, 2004

I'll kill him.
I went to see DOOM expecting stupid action with lots of gore and monsters and guns booming and lots of cheesy lines (especially from The Rock) and an awesome FPS sequence.

What I got was a stupid action with not enough gore, some monsters, guns booming and lots of cheesy lines (especially from The Rock) and an EXCEPTIONALLY awesome FPS sequence.

I promptly went home and installed Doom II.

See it for the FPS sequence.

Dipes
Oct 24, 2003
Worse than fantastic four.

Basic plot: "Level 5 containment breach" or something like that at a martian research facility. The Rock and his elite group of commandos is called in to clean it up.

The Rock's elite group of commandos consists of:

1. "The kid" -- a completely green, as in never seen a single mission, kid.
2. "Portman" -- think Quaqmire with a gun. loving useless drug-addict pervert.
3. Eomer of Rohan -- great in LotR, horrible here.
4. the black dude from predator/mr. bojangles. Plays pretty much the same role here as in predator.
5. LL Cool J ripoff -- comedy black guy. forgettable death.
6. super-religious dude
7. Japanese dude

Everyone in the elite unit of commandos is a loving insubordinate retard. The Rock gives an order and everyone second guesses him. Rightfully so, i think, because the Rock makes some dumbass calls. "WE ARE THE BACKUP!" Jesus, if that's true, then I'd hate to see the loving crippled knuckledraggers that make up the non-elite units.

The rock is a horribly unconvincing commander. simply terrible. As is everyone else. God this movie sucked.

0/5.

Dr. Sanjay Gupta
Sep 7, 2005

bear
Horror movies cannot be done in third person anymore, because that's been done to death and there has not been a scary horror movie since Communion, even blair witch project missed the mark.

All in all a step in the right direction, this movie shows that first person is the way to go for horror.

antihero
Oct 11, 2004

Dipes posted:

4. the black dude from predator/mr. bojangles. Plays pretty much the same role here as in predator.

not the same guy, my friend thought the same thing

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
Finally caught this movie and I have to say: Everyone voting 1's and 0's is nuts. This movie kicked rear end!

It had everything I wanted: The Rock, gore, guns, weird beasts, and explosions. It gave the space marines depth and character and it fleshed out some of the cool mystery behind Mars and whatnot. It wasnt entirely faithful to the Doom 1 storyline, but who the gently caress cares. The spirit of the movie was faithful to the spirit of the game.

This was a seriously fun movie and I enjoyed every second of it. I can't wait for the sequel... hopefully they do it like Doom 2: HELL ON EARTH!

Voted 4.5

ArchivalQuality
May 23, 2001

Stop the music and go home.
I repeat, stop the music and go home.
I just got back from this movie. Although my views were slightly tainted because a friend found it so horrible that he walked out to get his money back. I'm usually pleased if there's some CG and special effects that are admirable. And there were a few. But overall this was very disappointing. Why did they have to mess with the storyline? The idea of hell being unleashed is just so much more scary.

1.5/5

barcode
Apr 18, 2004

by Lowtax
It wasn't as bad as I expected, but it could have been so much better.

2.5/5

deadEd
Feb 20, 2001
It was Resident Evil on Mars with a few Doom cliches thrown in. Seriously, how they could go through the nuances of having all the little screens and keycards and all that match the Doom games but so thoroughly gently caress* with the main story is just pathetic.

1/5

* Yes, I consider changing it from 'portal to hell' to 'genome of the human soul that can detect if you're good or bad' is thoroughly loving with the story. It becomes ten times worse when you remember that Doom really doesn't have much story to begin with, so you'd think keeping the main parts intact would be important.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

It's as though they made a list of everything they could've possibly done wrong and used it as a script. This movie doesn't deserve its title.

1/5

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

We're glad you could play SQIV. As usual, you've been a real pantload.
This was the greatest movie I've seen outside of Roadhouse starring Patrick Swayze.

The writing was excellent, a plot that was brilliant and had all the nuances of a Shakespearean play. Such classic lines in the movie! I think we'll all be saying lines from DOOM for years to come, with a fond rememberance.

The Rock is the film industry's greatest actor since Yahoo Serious. He delivers each line with raw emotion, yet a subtlety that you cannot quite grasp. Easily deserves the Oscar nomination for Best Actor.

The first person sequences were genius filmmaking, a fresh, original way of moviemaking, and I hope that many knockoff films in the future try to copy this fantastic method of delivering action and tension throughout.

I loved this movie, I payed to see it three times, then hid in the back row after the movie was done so I could see it another three times free. Between shows I played Game Boy Advance and got my best high score in Super Mario Brothers Advance.

Again, this movie was pure gold and I recommend anyone else to see it without hesitation. In fact buy two tickets for every one person seeing this film.

5.5 / 5

Mental Midget fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Oct 29, 2005

u
Oct 21, 2000
Socialist shemale linux fag
Video game players are smarter than this.

Doom3, the video game, had better acting, plot, story and was an all around better experience than this movie.

This movie was absolutely valueless, if I wasn't with people when I saw it I would have walked out.

They basically made up everything, and the stuff they made up sucked hardcore. Everything that was good about the game was not in the movie.

0/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyramid_head
Nov 11, 2004
Five for the motherfucking computer moniter flail, I was literally crying I was laughing so much.