Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheTourist
Apr 28, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Directed by: Noah Baumbach
Starring: Laura Linney, Jeff Daniels

The Squid and the Whale is so real it hurts. It captures so many things about growing up so perfectly, I went between laughing hysterically and cringing in pain. It has a tone similar to Rushmore, but is less quirky and, in my opinion, better.

RATING: 5

PROS: funny,
CONS: none

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0367089/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003
I just came back from seeing this and i must say it's probably my favorite movie of the year. Stimulating and enchanting dialogue, great pace and a well rounded soundtrack. Can't say enough about this film..

Man of Wax
May 20, 2003

I just saw this and was really impressed. The comedy is funny and the drama poignant. The soundtrack is notably better than average and increases the immersive nature of the film, which really transports you to 1980's Brooklyn. In many ways, the film is a parody of its hyper-sexed, fowl-mouthed and ridiculously pretentious protagonist Bernard Berkman (Jeff Daniels). A movie about yuppies, for yuppies. The grainy look and characteristic steady-cam shake may have been a result of a creative decision, but were probably just a matter of low budget.

Daniels has gotten a lot of praise for what may be his first serious role, but the star of this movie is Owen Kline as Frank Berkman, a middle schooler caught in his family's depraved madness and driven to drink as a result. The kid is outstanding, hilarious and eminently depressed. Many of his scenes are uncomfortable, although not quite on the level of a Todd Solondz character. Billy Baldwin turns an enjoyable bit performance as Ivan. At its heart The Squid and the Whale is a terrific coming-of-age movie that ends beautifully and entertains throughout.

4.5/5