Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Candy
Jan 5, 2004
I have created a rocket that cures cancer, ask me how!
Directed by: Jim Jarmusch
Starring: Bill Murray, Julie Delpy, Sharon Stone, Jessica Lange, Jeffrey Wright

Having seen the premiere of this film in Chicago in the summer, I just recently had an opportunity to see it again, and have decided to write a review this time, since it is coming out on DVD very soon (January 3rd).

Broken Flowers is the latest film from the eccentric independent film-maker Jim Jarmusch. Following his dialogue driven Coffee and Cigarettes, which was a series of thematically unrelated vignettes filmed over several years, this film features much more cohesion of story. That is not to say the film is accessible to the average viewer. I think it really isn't. I personally enjoyed it, but several people who have watched it along with me did not.

The film follows Don Johnston (played by Bill Murray), an eccentric millionaire going through a mid-life crisis, as he tries to track down a son he knew nothing about for the last 20 years. Aided by his friend Winston (Jeffrey Wright), he tracks down his past conquests and visits each of them in turn looking for clues as to who may be the boy's mother.

Broken Flowers focuses more on Don's character than the story itself, however. Don is in every single scene (except the opening one), and he is played more than capably by Bill Murray (although I have to agree with the critics who say he only ever really plays one role - at least he does it very well). Because of this focus on Don, the movie feels like it drags at times. There are many scenes which seem completely pointless to many (such as the numerous driving scenes). These are not added to "pad" the film, however. Instead, this is simply the philosophy that Jim Jarmusch follows when making movies. He prefers to show all the little things that most film-makers skip over. For instance, if you have a scene where two characters are going to meet to talk about something, Jarmusch would likely show one person getting there early, ordering, putting sugar in his coffee, and sitting around. This feels boring to some, and I can understand why, but personally I find it adds realism to the characters. The film is filled with awkward moments, long silences, and anti-climactic events which, again, if done by any other director would distract, but Jarmusch pulls it off very well.

One of the most enjoyable aspects of this movie is the dialogue. Seeing the characters interact is an amazing experience, as they actually talk the way real people talk. Their personalities really come through in the dialogue and almost everyone will find someone to identify with, I think. The film's cinematography is also visually astounding. Filled with long, lingering shots, it sets the slow, relaxed pace perfectly. Also, I hope you like looking at Bill Murray, because you'll see a lot of him in this movie. The film forsakes most "modern" cinematographic techniques, and establishes the visual elements slowly, deliberately, and with class.

The soundtrack is also fantastic. While I didn't recognize any of it (I don't think the sountrack is original), the slow melancholy tones established mood perfectly. I'll have to look into purchasing it at the next availible opportunity.

The most important piece of advice I can give anyone before seeing this movie (anyone who is not familiar with Jarmusch, that is) is, don't go in wanting to focus on the story. Try to sit back and "experience" the movie. Don't think too hard about it, try to shake off any impressions you may have of it based on what people have said, just relax, watch and listen and you'll be in for a treat.

I think the one word I would use to describe this movie is "classy". It shakes off any conventions and, successfully, "does its own thing". I thought it was great, but I wouldn't recommend it to just anyone. I think most people would find it boring. If you're willing to be more relaxed and open-minded, however, I really do think you can enjoy this movie.

RATING: 5

PROS: Fantastic soundtrack, captivating cinematography, great dialogue
CONS: Slowly paced, only for Jarmusch lovers.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0412019/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eXpired
Feb 11, 2004

Get in!
I just got done watching this movie.

My feelings on it are mixed. It had elements of sheer brilliance, but had an ongoing overtone of pretentiousness. This is the standard fare for the latte sipping types who like to discuss hidden meanings that only THEY saw. Of course, the same breed will openly scoff at you if you haven't even HEARD of this movie, which most mainstream movie types probably have not.

On the other hand, I did enjoy this movie. The "mystery" angle was played well, and I'm actually impressed with the movie's resolution (or lack thereof). Ending this film in any other way would have ruined it. Stellar performances by several cameos, although none are in the limelight long enough to truly shine.

Unfortunately, most people to watch this would probably tire quickly of the slow transitioning and plot development. I can appreciate the subtleties of this: it gives the impression that Murray is deep in thought, usually accompanied with facial expressions conveying loneliness, confusion, and a hint of desparity. However, I started this movie with myself and 4 friends. I finished it alone. I'm not sure what the others were expecting, but it obviously did not deliver at all for them.

I'd personally recommend this movie to anybody who enjoys films similar to "About Schmidt". I'd imagine that this storyline would be particularly appealing to the 30+ year old crowd, but I wouldn't immediately dismiss it if you're the type to appreciate independent films.

For the curious, this was my first Jarmusch film.

I'd give this one a 3.5/5 stars, personally.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

I initially liked this movie, but then a couple days later, I realized I couldn't remember a single line, shot, sequence or revelation that made me think, "Wow, this is a great movie." Instead, it's the same old indie dissection of American society and its failings that's getting to be a pretty stale routine by now, especially when coupled with Bill Murray's now-maddening refusal to emote onscreen, which, I guess, passes for dramatic subtlety for today's critics.

This movie is proof that the logic behind "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" is fallible. Just because it's not bad doesn't mean it's not good, especially when it's terribly unoriginal and underwhelming.

1.5/5

yersi
Dec 21, 2004

by Fistgrrl
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1641309

Sorry, guys. Always do a search before you start postin'.