Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PsychoGoatee
Feb 23, 2005

by Fistgrrl
Directed by: David Lynch
Starring: Bill Pullman, Patricia Arquette, Balthazar Getty

David Lynch's most underrated film, and his best work to date. Mixes film-noir traditions with Lynch's dark vision of suburbia, and secrets of the subconscious. Its a trip through a dreamy, sometimes nightmarish reality.

A saxaphone player (Bill Pullman) lives in a big, shadowy house with his beautiful wife (Patricia Arquette). They recieve some creepy videotapes of an intruder filming inside their house...

One of those tapes shows Fred (Bill Pullman) killing his wife. Next thing he knows, he's in prison for this crime. He inexplicably escapes into another personality, Peter (Balthazar Getty), and is released. Now everything is strange yet familiar, and this mindbender really takes off.

Its a roadtrip through the psyche of a troubled man, and according to Lynch, it was subconsciously inspired by the OJ Simpson trial. The lighting is amazing, often presenting shadows that bend the surroundings into something terrible. Plus Rammstein, David Bowie, and Nine Inch Nails are on the soundtrack.

There's still no American DVD for this great film. There's a Canadian Region 1 disc, but its pan-and-scan. So see this movie, on VHS if need be. It features the most terrifying and intense saxaphone playing you'll ever witness.

RATING: 5.5

PROS: Hypnotic intensity, amazing performances, stunning direction, great 90's soundtrack, and Lynch's signature puzzle style of storytelling.

CONS: No definite explanation of whats happening, interpretation is necessary, and features Marylin Manson rolling around on the floor.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116922/

PsychoGoatee fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jan 16, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kabafo
Jun 25, 2004

I’m not supposed to drink but, I do.
One of my favorite movies definately one of Lynch's best works...

On a side note my rommate has the DVD. =p

5/5 for sure!

Ylide
Dec 25, 2004
Was it for this, my life, I sought? Maybe so, maybe not.
"I'm in your house right now. Here, call me." *shudder*

Great review of a great movie.

Korenchkin
Jul 23, 2005

Glory to the Many, I am a voice in their choir.
Probably the most confusing of Lynch's films (yes, I think it's alot more confusing than Mulholland Drive) and probably the most frightening. Comparable to Mulholland Drive in a number of ways, it's all about the splitting of the psyche, but whereas Mulholland Drive is more of a sad story, this one is malignant and vicious in a number of places, and is all the more fantastic for it. Although it's not my favourite of his films, it's still a great film and not for the faint of heart or the easily distracted. But even if you put all your attention into every frame of this film, you probably still won't quite understand what has happened in front of your eyes after the film finishes. That's part of the beauty - psychosis isn't something that should be easy to follow.

4.5 / 5

Bat Legs
Mar 13, 2006

I'm glad I wasn't the only one that had a hard time finding this on DVD. This movie confused me until I read and then agreed with the person that said it, that the plot is totally linear. Oh yeah, and the Devil grants three wishes.

Love this flick, voted 5.

Son of Emhak
Sep 11, 2005

We say there's no parting for us, if our hearts are conveyed to each other.
Voted 5 for best use of Rammstein in a movie soundtrack. Seriously there's nothing like snapping out of the strange dreamy lethargy that a David Lynch movie can induce, with some serious german industrial.

Glarg
Apr 27, 2007
I love this movie. It is freaky as crap but entertaining and it has the only soundtrack to a movie I have actually bought. It really makes your brain work trying to figure out what's going on too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vontransvaal
Mar 12, 2003
heartworm
I too have to agree this movie is excellent. Saw it in theater for the first time when I was 16 and it blew my mind.