Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pamplemousse
Mar 12, 2004
i wish i had tourette's!
Directed by: Jason Friedberg, Aaron Seltzer
Starring: Alyson Hannigan Eddie Griffin Fred Willard

A recently released film, from a few of the people involved in the Scary Movie series , that lampoons popular dating films such as Hitch, Napolean Dynamite, and Meet the Parents/Fockers. Lord of The Rings has a brief shot in the movie as well.

The film involves a young woman played by Hannigan whose obesity and ungodly lack of hygeine doom her to loneliness. That is until a dating consultant helps her transform her looks and pursue a handsome young doctor, much to the dismay of her multi ethnic parents and a meddling x.

This movie is full of toilet humour, digusting gags, pop culture satire and is likely to offend the obese, women's groups, celebrities and minorities. However the jokes are all in good fun.

I reccommend this movie to anyone who liked the Scary Movie series and appreciates gross-out humour and parody.

RATING: 3.5

PROS: Lots of laughs, good cast
CONS: A few overdone jokes,.Some of the movie's sight gags made me want to throw up a bit.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://imdb.com/title/tt0466342/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

faarcyde
Dec 5, 2005
what the hell did you trade Jay Buhner for!?
This is not a “date movie.” This is not a funny movie. This should not be a movie.

In the wake of the popular “Scary Movie” franchise comes “Date Movie,” a supposed spoof of romantic comedies and their formulaic tendencies. The film tries to form some sort of satire by recreating scenes from films “Meet the Fockers,” “The Wedding Planner,” “Napoleon Dynamite” and “When Harry Met Sally.”

Apparently, the film makers missed the memo on the definitions of satire and spoof. Instead of rising above their source material they take it and dumb it down to an excruciating level of un-funny. It is disappointing to see a genre that is so ripe with satirical opportunity sink to such uninspired depths.

Maybe I am getting too old for this kind of movie. Maybe my obsessive film watching over the past few years has heightened my expectations to an unattainable level. Maybe the humor is just flying over my head. Then I think, when has this type of humor ever been funny?

A cat with a diarrhea problem going the bathroom in a real toilet. A cat making out with a corpse. A cat having implied sex with a corpse. A cat making out with an elderly woman. An overweight woman getting her toe nails clipped by a chain saw. An overweight woman having a chicken wing stuck in her teeth. A midget yelling obscenities and silly pop culture catch phrases.

Maybe this sort of thing appeals to someone, maybe my standards are too high.
A more likely scenario is that the forces behind this project take on such an idea so creatively bankrupt that it destined to fail before it even begins. Who wants to hear the same knock-knock joke 30 times, especially when the punch line was not funny to begin with? Or worse yet, who wants to hear a joke without a punch line? The only thing worse than a bad movie is a bad movie that thinks it is funny.

Gross can be funny, and it has been done well before. “There’s Something About Mary” showed that low-brow humor can be done with a sense of class and cleverness, but the potty humor for potty humor’s sake attitude wears thin so quickly with “Date Movie” that it is embarrassing. The moral, if there could possibly be one, of the story is that silly comedy can be done right with the slightest bit of forethought, which the film makers here seem to lack.

The cast is littered with second-rate actors [Eddie Griffin excluded], has-beens and nobodies. The going gets so bad that rapper Lil’ Jon and Carmen Electra are thrown in to provide some sort of distraction. Nobody with a sense of self worth would have ever made it past the first page of this script, and that is not to say that replacing the bottomless pit of B-list actors would have helped any. You could put Marlon Brando or Robert DeNiro in this movie and the material would still be far from salvageable.

Alsander
Jan 20, 2004

I'm gay for banana's.
Easily the worst movie I have ever seen. Worse than House of 1000 Corpses, worse than anything Uwe Boll could ever possibly create.

Terrible jokes that lasted way too long, stupidly predictable, and just generally awful and painful.

If I could give this movie a negative score I would.

p.s. Also the worst date movie ever. You are more likely to get laid taking your date to a movie about the Holocaust.

Hostile Rabbi
Jun 25, 2005

by Ralp
Imagine every annoying catchphrase and tired joke of the past five years made into a movie. Yeah, it's that bad.

I really cannot imagine a worse movie than this.

.5/5

Hostile Rabbi fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Feb 19, 2006

Ertch
Sep 5, 2004

by Eris Is Goddess
I feel ashamed for getting tricked into watching a movie like this. I knew it was going to be stupid, but I thought it couldn't be that bad since I have a really high tolerance for stupid poo poo.

This movie has actually made me question my friendship with the people I went with that liked it. It's that bad. What's worse was that the other people in the theater were enjoying it too. Someone please tell me that it wasn't well recieved where they were watching so I don't have to feel so bad for my country.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
One of the few movies I've ever walked out of. When that cat started making out with the corpse, I knew it was time to go. Honestly, I wanted to leave before, but I was mesmerized by the sheer terribleness of that movie.

JGTheSpy
Jul 31, 2002
Excuse me, but if I could have a moment of your time, I'd like to explain why you're not actually enjoying that game that you're enjoying. You see, I am in fact an expert. At games. I know, it's impressive.
This is most likely the worst movie I have ever seen. It is completely unfunny and mind numbingly boring. I usually like these kinds of movies but they weren't even trying for Date Movie. I laughed maybe 4 times throughout the whole movie but at least two of those were at how miserable I was waiting for the movie to end.

Shotgun Jones
May 19, 2003

by Ozmaugh
Hey guys, fat women can't find love!
Hey guys, midget versions of popular characters are hilarious!
Hey guys, J-Lo has a huge butt!
Hey guys, the orgasm scene from When Harry Met Sally is funny when a guy does it!
Hey guys, look what we can do! Check it out! It's funny because it was in a movie that was released in the past few years, but we added a wacky sight gag to it! Isn't that hilarious?

Hey guys, why are you leaving?

Okay, that's the whole movie.

0.5/5.5

Shotgun Jones fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Feb 23, 2006

wharf cat
Aug 9, 2005

What's that jackass doing.. I KNOW YOU asshole
This movie was terrible.
That being said, it did bring in a few laughs, but overall it just wasn't worth it. You would think they would actually try to intermix the spoofs into the plot but sometimes it was just so random it was ridiculous. Sort of like a lovely Family Guy movie.
Awful, awful, awful. This movie givs spoofs a bad name.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
This movie was horrible. I left halfway. I don't even care if it got better, I didn't laugh once.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

I hate this movie, with a pure straight hatred that can only be mined from the walls of the pits of hell.

JadeFrog
Apr 17, 2001

by Lowtax
Quite simply, this movie is not funny.
The writers took a lot of really marginally relevant material from other comedies, then drove that material into the ground to such an extent that it was unbearable to continue sitting through. (see:intro the best friend coming out of the pool.)

"Like a really bad SNL skit that just keeps going and going without any end in sight."

Worst movie I've seen in a long time.

DNQ
Sep 7, 2004

Let me hear you balalaika's ringing out, come and keep your comrade warm!
Horrifyingly awful. This is "comedy" for those who need it written out for them - comedy for those who don't get subtlety, wit and satire. As I sat in the cinema, the bellows of laughter from around me seemed to suggest this was the funniest thing ever - maybe this is what passes as comedy for the masses these days?

It's a shame to see Alyson Hannigan reduced to such a pathetic role. As an Australian, the appearence of Sophie Monk is worth mentioning. Well, Sophie, with one film you've managed to pigeonhole yourself as playing the dumb blonde for the rest of your career.

Dreadful, dreadful stuff, one of the worst films I've ever seen. Don't bother.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug
I saw this movie this past weekend with a few people. It was really, really, really, really, really terrible.

The high point of the movie was during the excruciatingly unfunny "LOL THE CAT IS FARTING ON THE TOILET" scene, one of the 13-16 year old girls behind me said, clearly and loudly, "OH MY GOD, THIS IS THE FUNNIEST THING I HAVE EVER SEEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" I laughed at that statement way, way harder than anything in the actual film.

.5, and that's being generous.

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

This is without a doubt the worst movie I have ever seen in my life, please do me a favor and go back to the theater and get your money back if you saw this attrocity.

WiNd Spittin PuNk
Aug 30, 2005
yes Im a stupeeed n00b who cant type either I'll just mash the key board cuz you are king of da internet yo
oh god this was awful
I was kinda on the fence when deciding to see it, and thought...... well some of the scary movies were funny, and alot of the parody movies are good mindless fun, and with all the material they have to work with....it will probably be worth my $9.25

no
this thing was ......the worst of the worst

every joke was unoriginal and dragged out
in fact it felt like the whole movie was written in 20 mins

I didnt have a single good laugh the whole time.

the only time it got more than a smirk is when the cat lit the match, and only cuz it was the only part of the movie I didn't see coming a mile away

Standing8
Nov 18, 2002
Wake up bitch, you're my new best friend.
I feel like this is the equivelent of if instead of releasing Scary Movie 1, 2 and 3, they just released one containing all of the bullshit.

Too much bullshit for one movie.

.5/5

Crazy Jesus
May 18, 2005

"I don't know what you people did to him down there, but he hasn't been the same since..&
I knew this film would be bad, but I wasn't aware how bad.I feel embarassed admitting that I've seen this film.

One thing's for sure, I'M picking the movie from now on.

Henaki
Dec 2, 2003

by Ozma
It wasn't as bad as all of you make it out to be (there were funny parts) but other than the average comedy value, it holds no other power as movie.

mendali
May 28, 2005
Mustdestroy is spot on. It's funny in places, but overall it's just not worth the trouble. The movie itself is a mish-mash of horribly blatant rip-offs trying to beef up a really pathetic plot.

You may think it would be fun to see just to see how bad it is, or while stoned, or something like that, but please... just don't see it. Don't waste your money, you'll end up hating yourself the next day. Wait till it comes out on DVD, and even then, don't spend money renting it. You're not missing anything.

.5/5

Large Hardon Collider
Nov 28, 2005

PARADOL EX FAN CLUB
There were two funny bits in this movie: the Kill Bill riff and the Lil' Jon cameo. The former was funny because it was well-done and amusing. The second was funny because it was Lil' Jon.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
there were about 3 or 4 times during the movie when I cracked up but most jokes were run into the ground and some parts just completely irrelevant, almost as if the writers thought "hey this could be funny, it's going nothing to do with dating so lets do it" lord of the rings? wtf!!!

Some of the impersonations were kinda good, napoleon dynamite was good and so was britney and kevin, and I laughed at the hitch dude's past achievements.

0.75/5

Majestic
Mar 19, 2004

Don't listen to us!

We're fuckwits!!
I have never regretted watching a film more.

There is one moderately chuckle worthy scene with the marriage counsellor. The rest is just not remotely funny.

The film gets so lost that at times it tries to "parody" other movies, by just repeating exactly what happened in that film. You can't parody a comedy film by using the same jokes that film used you loving retards.

0/5

swollenchild.jpg
Jan 11, 2006

by Ozma
I think the funniest thing about this thread is that the one person who gave it more than a score of 1 was perma-banned.

About the movie: I really feel sorry for every actor that participated in the filming of this movie. Honestly. This had to've really injured their careers.

.5/5

redbyte
Apr 18, 2006
When he strikes... you'll know
Had some funny moments. But all-in-all sucked. Biggest issue was there was far too many movies ripped off. Couldn't keep up. Most of the jokes weren't really all that clever either. I enjoyed the Pimp my ride and the Lil John scenes. That was all.

1.5/5

Vitiosus
Feb 23, 2004

by Lowtax
Worthless review

Vitiosus fucked around with this message at 07:25 on May 16, 2006

You are a nerd
Apr 9, 2003

See?
A friend of mine insisted that we watch this, having picked it up apparently on the strength of the caustic advertising push for the new DVD. (Or so I presume anyway, since I can't imagine anything else that might have recommended it.)

It's not just that it's bad. Bad movies can sometimes be entertaining for their sheer awfulness. What's worse here is that it's a bad movie that's also very boring. It's hard to keep the viewer's attention when your movie consists of nothing but a series of dumb spoofs of varying timeliness and relevance with some pointless gross-out nonsense tossed in. One would do as well to film college freshmen attempting to drunkenly reenact their favorite scenes from Anchorman "only with more farts!" and then release 90 minutes of that to the theaters.

All You Can Eat
Aug 27, 2004

Abundance is the dullest desire.
The highlight of the movie was in the beginning, when the protagonist has a dream about a Napoleon Dynamite-lookalike saying "Ghawd! Ghawd! Ghawd!" a dozen times, with a shirt that says "Don't Vote for Pedro"

A terrible movie that goes to show that you can't parody humorous movies. You just end up looking like a retard. I think Meet the Fockers was funnier than it's spoof scene in this movie.

PrincessKate
Mar 16, 2004

Let's get it on, honey.
The worst movie I have seen in a long, long time. I didn't laugh once. I didn't even smile once. Someone else already said it, but I'll say it again...'parody' isn't funny if all you are doing is referencing something. The jokes were basically, 'hey, remember this?' And that was it. Zero insight. Zero punchlines. What a waste of time.

0/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Without a word of a lie this is the worst movie I have ever seen in a movie theatre. I turned to my wife afterwards and just said "I'm sorry"

This movie changed the way I could feel about movies, until this movie I generally enjoyed all movies even movies that were pretty poo poo, but this changed everything. This was my 9/11

why the gently caress have I seen it twice?

0/5 lowest possible score.

actually no, it does have one thing going for it, while no joke at all was funny, I did think the way scene moved from one to another was not too bad considering how unrelated one scene was from the last