Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Directed by: Michel Gondry
Starring: Dave Chappelle, Kanye West, Mos Def, Talib Kweli, The Fugees, The Roots

Well, let me just preface this by saying that if you don't like Dave Chappelle or the musical acts, it's almost a sure thing that you won't enjoy this movie. I wouldn't even classify it as a movie (as seen in the genre I picked) - it really is more of a "behind the scenes"/"making of" type documentary, with plenty of interviews with participating musical acts. There's a fair bit of Dave being himself and funny, which is hardly ever a bad thing.

Along with the simple musical premise we get to see Dave going through his home town of Dayton, Ohio, and interacting with the people he lived with there. I'm really surprised at the amount of older people (mostly women) he got to go along with him on a multi-state bus ride. There's also the recruitment of the band seen in the trailers. In New York, there's segments on how they set up the location for the concert and shooting which includes some interesting and touching asides where Dave meets various people from the neighborhood - all, of course, infused with general Chappelle humor.

The movie/documentary also has a fairly heavy political undercurrent to it, which is to be expected when you have such vocal members of the hip hop community and a man with Chappelle's stated opinions together in one place. Some people around me were making grunts and groans in the theater when they began calling for the release of political prisoners, including Mumia (I'm from Philly, so I guess that was to be expected). However, this is in no way the main focus of the movie, and whether you agree or not with their statements I think you'll still find it enjoyable. (Edit: it inspired me to change my avatar :))

RATING: 4.5 Edit: on a second viewing, I am raising my rating because it's just so great.

PROS: Funny, awesome musical acts
CONS: Could have done with more Dave, just because I love the bastard, maybe a bit political for some people

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: https://www.chappellesblockparty.com/

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

indigi fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Mar 7, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU