Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Directed by: Steve Pink
Starring: Justin Long, Adam Herschman, Lewis Black

Caught an advanced screening in the Dallas area.

The character development in this movie is better than any comedy to come out this summer and adds so much to the movie. This movie is Revenge of the Nerds meets Animal House, meets Camp Nowhere. And it does a really good job.

Don't go in expecting anything new. The arrogant yuppie is the arrogant yuppie. The fake dean is a former alcoholic drunk, and a lot of it's lowbrow.

But it's done well, the rock concert scene is one of the best things ever.

It's well worth your money.

RATING: 4.5

PROS: Witty, hilarious writing,
CONS: Pacing slows a little near the end, nothing too terribly innovative

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0384793/

DOOMocrat fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jul 28, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
This is one of those movies that you know the entire plot coming in, just from the trailers and the fairly predictable pacing of these sorts of movies. Main character gets rejected from every school he applies to, makes up his own school and accepts himself to it, and before long he and a few hundred other people who somehow manage to show up are making up their own curriculum with classes like Slacking 101. Now here's the part everyone sees coming: random other group decides to rain on his parade (in this case, it's the yuppie fraternity), they succeed temporarily, before yet another one of those "court/hearing scenes" where main character inevitably triumphs, and in the process gets the girl. (There's always a girl.)

But that's not why you're seeing this movie... at least I hope not. What makes or breaks this kind of movie is the writing, and it's definitely up to the task. The cast of characters you're introduced to is varied enough that none of their particular gimmicks gets too old, including the T&A jokes. Lewis Black is also in fine form as a crackpot who gets hired on as the dean and only actual faculty member. My one complaint is that the "poo poo" joke gets beaten to death pretty badly. (The initials of the imaginary school are poo poo. "I was winging it," says the main character when this is pointed out to him for the first time. And then it's pointed out to the audience some more, and then some more, and so on...)

Groundbreaking entertainment? Not here. But it's well written, and should get some good laughs.

RATING: 3.5

Vanshnook
Mar 3, 2004

Any idiot can be complicated.
I went in with very low expectations and was pleasantly surprised. It is you basic teen comedy about college and it ends exactly as you think it will, but it was actually pretty funny. The fat guy is loving hilarious; I wish they showed bloopers at the end.

3/5

EdRush
Dec 13, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Accepted won't surprize anyone with its characters, setting, or plot developments, especially those who have seen the proto-college comedy Animal House. What may surprize people is that a movie promoted to the lowest common denomenator ("Ask me about my weiner!") is actually a breezy, likeable film. Justin Long and Jonah Hill ('the fat guy') along with the rest of the principals are charismatic and never reduced to caricatures, though their roles are stereotypes. One expects to be bulgeoned with the acronym for the South Harmon Institute of Technology, but that is perhaps one of the best feats of the film's writing; it only dips into that well at regular intervals and takes care to put a new shine on poo poo, if you will, each time it is mentioned.

The film, like the Institute, is a light, unchallenging engagement that makes no demands on its participants, and is not weighted down by some pretense of teaching the audience a 'life lesson'. If Justin Long calling himself a poo poo-head doesn't make you cover your ears in horror or roll your eyes in contempt, you'll likely enjoy Accepted.

4/5

epaischunomai
May 29, 2006
It's Greek
This was funny. All I came for was entertainment and Accepted gave it to me. By the way, that fat guy is hilarious.

Funny, Entertaining, Hilarious - 4/5