Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rankmiasma
Sep 28, 2005
Famous Person
Directed by: Sofia Coppola
Starring: Kirsten Dunst, Jason Schwartzman, Rip Torn, Asia Argento, Molly Shannon

From imdb.com: Based on Antonia Fraser's book about the ill-fated Archduchess of Austria and later Queen of France, 'Marie Antoinette' tells the story of the most misunderstood and abused woman in history, from her birth in Imperial Austria to her later life in France.

Review: While I haven't read Antonia Fraser's book in the past and have no intention to in the future, I still believe 'Marie Antoinette' stands on its own as a film. The imdb plot summary has a couple glaring errors, in that the film does not deal with Marie Antoinette's birth at all, and I highly doubt she was "the most abused woman in history". However, she was, at least in this film, one of the more interesting. Marie (Kirsten Dunst) is depicted as a sort of caged bird in the film, the cage being the confines of Versailles where Marie is brought to be married into royalty. She is a free spirit, and appears to want to get more out of life than simply living in extravagant wealth. The film centers on this, and all the while follows her life throughout her reign as Dauphine and then later as Queen of France, although interestingly not in detail pertaining to some major events, but rather on the more introverted and personal life of Marie Antoinette.

The performances by the cast, especially Kirsten Dunst, are satisfactory, and while the script is poor at times, doesn't significantly mar the film.

The directing by Coppola, this being her third major film (The Virgin Suicides, Lost in Translation) is exemplary. Being a huge fan of her previous film, Lost in Translation, I was very satisfied with Marie Antoinette. She managed to turn a seemingly-at-first "boring" subject into a "pop-history" film, with excellent results.

Of important note is the soundtrack, which, like Coppola's other films is also extremely well done. The soundtrack alone is worth purchasing, it's that good.

And finally, perhaps of most worthy note, is the cinematography. Director of Photography Lance Acord, whom Coppola worked with in Lost in Translation, does an amazing job here with Marie Antoinette. The elegant costumes, food and scenery, captured in perfection. Absolutely mind-blowing. Acord is perhaps the most talented new-school cinematographer of our time. For more of his work see Lost in Translation, Adaptation, Being John Malkovich, and Buffalo '66.

RATING: 5.0

PROS: Most beautiful cinematography i've seen in a film this year, unique and interesting aesthetic, Excellent soundtrack
CONS: Not a biography for those expecting one, script and pacing could use work

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0422720/and http://www.apple.com/trailers/sony_pictures/marieantoinette/

rankmiasma fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Oct 30, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roshi
Sep 25, 2002

Somebody from CC wasted $10 on a guy who does not give a shit what they think, so I'm re-purposing it because I'm too lazy to come up with another one.
This movie was completely and utterly boring.
I've written a long paper on Antionette(in 10th grade history), so I find the character interesting but god was that movie boring. Maybe Coppola was going for the idea that Marie was trapped in a boring, miserable life inside the confines of the palace, I don't know, but I couldn't give a poo poo when she finally get carted off to die or something. I was even falling asleep during the main sex scene.

Kirsten Dunst didn't help much, but I think her problem was more the script than her acting ability here. And if it weren't for Kirsten's hotness, I would've dozed off not long in.

In the end, an attempt to make a deep introspective look into her was just... boring.

2.5/5 for the production design(near flawless) and Kirsten being hot as hell.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I just saw this last night and I went in with no expectations, and I tend to enjoy art films, so I enjoyed it. Here are some observations.

First of all, like I said, this is an art film, through and through. If you don't like artsy-type films, don't go see it.

There is no plot. There are signs of a plot, but you never get to see much development. The way it's done gives you the feeling of watching Marie Antoinette's home movies: scenes start in the middle of themselves, playfully jump around them for a little while, and then end without much having happened. In my opinion, it was well done, but keep in mind, there is no story, really. Nothing gets accomplished, or rather, things get accomplished, but you most likely didn't see it happen.

The movie has little dialogue and there is a lot of time spent listening to background noise, background music, or barely audible chatter and conversation. Like I said, it's like you're watching home videos. You're an observer. You are Uncle Bob with the video camera. It makes you notice how disturbed people are with silence. The people in the theater with me had a really hard time just sitting and watching. They were always trying to make jokes to their friends to stop the silence.

One thing I thought was way cool about the movie is it really makes you notice time. I hear even elementary school kids nowadays comment on how "this year is going by so fast" or "man, it seems like last month was yesterday", and I remember when I was a kid, summers seemed like YEARS and school years seemed like ETERNITY. This movie slows down time and makes you concious of it, and for me, it wasn't a "Oh holy poo poo, I'm bored" kind of experience (as it will be for some of you), but combined with the imagery, it was very surreal and calm.

Bottom line from me: If you saw the previews and think its some period-film with modern music ala "Knight's Tale", you're wrong. If you know Coppola's stuff, then you'll have an idea. There is not story. There is no action. Go, watch, relax, and let go, and you'll enjoy it despite its pacing.

4/5

https://instagram.com/mutatedjellyfish/
https://www.artstation.com/mutatedjellyfish

soapboxcritic
Oct 29, 2005

"Who ze shit is Kingsley Zissou?"

I felt exactly the same about this feeling like Marie Antoinette's home movies, which is why, in my opinion, this movie would have delivered it's point better if it ended right after she finally had her baby, stretching out the scene of post-coital bliss, thus showing us how she was merely a kid who turned into a party animal due to sudden wealth and boredom, end of story, put down the home video camera, a rush through of politics at the end of her life was boring and underdeveloped.

That being said, immediately after seeing this movie, I went out and bought the soundtrack, seriously amazing.

Sofia's Version 3/5,
My proposed version 4.5/5

follower_of_chaos
Nov 7, 2004

by Fragmaster
I haven't seen Lost in Translation yet because of my dislike for The Virgin Suicides but I liked this. Good performances, especially from Dunst & Coogan, an excellent soundtrack and beautiful images. I was also really glad it ended before her arrest & execution

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

fez2
Jan 24, 2002

I liked this movie because it did a good job showing the absurdity of the french court. I've never really thought much about Marie Antoinette as a person, so I found it interesting in that respect.

While it isn't a biography, it's about as exciting as one. Good if you have the free time. Like most epic movies it feels lke a lot could have been cut. 3.5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phunkdust
Sep 12, 2006
pants included at no extra charge
I think mutata described it well

There's not much of a plot, there's not much of a script.

However it is a fantastic visual feast. Sit and take it in.

I think Coppola's really strives to make her films visually striking and beautiful - my thought was that she approaches the cinematography like a photographer - capturing beautiful moments - much like the first half of Lost In Translation where we see a lot of Charlotte watching and gazing and exploring as we watch and gaze at her.

The soundtrack of course is excellent, I was surprised at the Aphex Twin but then realised just how perfectly it fit.

Rip Torn playing the king of france with his thick texan drawl sort of bugged me though :lol: