Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
As a heads-up, the JBL LSR305 and LSR308 are current available on a buy one, get one 1/2 off deal. I ended up ordering the 308s from American Musical Supply, since they include cables and isolation pads for free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

surrender posted:

As a heads-up, the JBL LSR305 and LSR308 are current available on a buy one, get one 1/2 off deal. I ended up ordering the 308s from American Musical Supply, since they include cables and isolation pads for free.

Anybody thinking about getting a good set of monitors for not much money should get on this.

I bought a pair of 308's and they sound really great for both mixing and casual listening at anywhere from low to "max TV volume levels" and I do not regret the purchase at all. Plus the imaging is fantastic on these things.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

surrender posted:

As a goon I thank you for this heads-up. I needed some new speakers so why the hell not?

Steiler Drep
Nov 30, 2004
what?
So what's the consensus on recording guitars like so:

Guitar>Pedals>Interface (Focusrite Saffire)>guitar amp through interface line out

I ask because I'm going to record a couple of live sessions and I'd rather record direct from pedals and apply impulse responses later on. I know this is possible with DI boxes, and I will get that later on, but for now that's all I have.

I also have an 8 channel mixer if that can work in the equation. Thanks!

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.

Steiler Drep posted:

So what's the consensus on recording guitars like so:

Guitar>Pedals>Interface (Focusrite Saffire)>guitar amp through interface line out

I ask because I'm going to record a couple of live sessions and I'd rather record direct from pedals and apply impulse responses later on. I know this is possible with DI boxes, and I will get that later on, but for now that's all I have.

I also have an 8 channel mixer if that can work in the equation. Thanks!

As long as one of your IRs is a cab sim it should work fine. I always track bass this way.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Read the OP, have a really low-level gear question: I'm going to be moving to Bogota and want to pack light, and I want some way to record video-audio clips of myself (mostly for YouTube) without having too much ancillary gear. I don't need amazing quality, if it's better than recording on my old iPhone 4S that's good enough for me.

I have a 2010 MacBook Air which has just one USB port and no FireWire. If I want to have slightly better audio/video than just using my built-in laptop mic and camera, is there a decent basic ~$50 combo camera/mic I could just jack into my computer and point in my direction to get YouTube-level recording quality? None of this is particularly pro stuff, just basic demos for sharing with other music geeks to get tips on improving, offer advice to noobs on concertina technique, etc.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
ignore me please

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Read the OP, have a really low-level gear question: I'm going to be moving to Bogota and want to pack light, and I want some way to record video-audio clips of myself (mostly for YouTube) without having too much ancillary gear. I don't need amazing quality, if it's better than recording on my old iPhone 4S that's good enough for me.

I have a 2010 MacBook Air which has just one USB port and no FireWire. If I want to have slightly better audio/video than just using my built-in laptop mic and camera, is there a decent basic ~$50 combo camera/mic I could just jack into my computer and point in my direction to get YouTube-level recording quality? None of this is particularly pro stuff, just basic demos for sharing with other music geeks to get tips on improving, offer advice to noobs on concertina technique, etc.

Microsoft makes some pretty good HD webcams with decent built in mics - I use the mic on mine for chat in games and it's worked well (good noise rejection, people have no trouble hearing/understanding me). Won't win a grammy with it, but it's functional and cheap.

This is the model I have: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826105576

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
What would you all recommend for a monitor pair at around half the price of the LSR305s? I just need a simple set for dickin' around with an 1/8" plug, nothing supremely quality. Not afraid to go used.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I had a pair of MA-15D monitors for a couple of years, good clarity and imaging but a little lacking in low end as they are only 4" drivers. Still decent for the price though and can run of a 1/8" jack no problem.

sursumdeorsum
Jan 10, 2010
Does anyone want to edit/mix/eq my Slipknot 'wait and bleed' vocal cover I recorded in audacity? I just want to see what a different set of ears can do.

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

sursumdeorsum posted:

Does anyone want to edit/mix/eq my Slipknot 'wait and bleed' vocal cover I recorded in audacity? I just want to see what a different set of ears can do.

I'm intrigued, I'd love to give it a stab. :)

sursumdeorsum
Jan 10, 2010

Greggster posted:

I'm intrigued, I'd love to give it a stab. :)

Sweet! My email is dmw0714@yahoo.com if you want to contact me there, I don't see the option to message you here.

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

sursumdeorsum posted:

Sweet! My email is dmw0714@yahoo.com if you want to contact me there, I don't see the option to message you here.

Sent you a mail now about it. :)

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

Working on upgrading my home recording rig to something a little better. I just record guitars/bass and program drums for my own pleasure. Not looking to record anything professional studio quality.

My rig so far:
Guitar
Pod XT Live as my DI box
Reaper 64
VST plugins: guitar rig 5 / vst amps / impulse cabs / ezdrummer2
Sennheiser HD280 Headphones

I just ordered an Focusrite 2i4 to replace my pod as my AI.

Looking for some cheap monitors and a cheap midi keyboard. Doesn't have to be a full size keyboard and I know nothing about midi keyboards. I just want to use it to get away from using the drat piano roll when programming drums and maybe use it to program some synthy and piano stuff. The monitors don't have to 1337 hollywood production quality. I'm just looking for something that will get me away from using the headphones that will work ok for home mixing. Monitors I've been looking at are KRK5's, M-Audio BX5, and Behringer Truths. I was looking at some Samson monitors but I don't really know anything about them.

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010
I got some M-audio av40 and beyond the bass I think they give me a neutral sound for me to listen to while I mix.
For keyboard, I'd go with one of these:
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Keystation49es.html

I think they give a really good feedback when you push the keys, nothing fancy either so you won't get lost with a million functions to use (for good and for bad, I've only used it to lay chords and play melodies and take out melodies).

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
JARED NUMBERS: BACK IN ACTION
What's the consensus on Sennheiser HD280s if I'm looking for cheap, neutral monitoring headphones?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

they're awesomely durable. I haven't really produced on them but i've had the same pair for about 5 years at the office. one of the cups came unglued but was an easy fix. sometimes i just wear them on silent, they're almost completely soundproof on their own

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

OK home recording thread:

It took me less than an hour to make a decent microphone out of an old rotary phone. Go to your local Sally Ann/Goodwill/junk shop and get one. You barely need to solder, because all the terminals are screw-down type - it sounds scuzzy and weird and kind of great, or would at least make a funky talkback mic. Your choice as to whether you want to wire the mouthpiece (mic) or the earpiece(speaker) as the element: do the former and it needs phantom power, but the signal runs very hot and likely needs attenuation to be useful. Do the latter and the gain structure is a bit more normal, and it's just a normal dynamic mic with no phantom needed. Each way sounds slightly differently scuzzy -I like the mouthpiece variation. If you can make your own XLR cable, you can do this project - just trace the leads from the mic/speaker and screw down leads for your XLR tail as they correspond to the +/- terminals. Ground can go to an empty or unused terminal.

strangemusic fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Sep 14, 2014

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Nice, that's really cool. I dunno how practical it is but since you said it's scuzzy and weird I could imagine some lo-fi garage rock type stuff going through it.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
I bet that makes a pretty great harp mic. I actually might try it.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

strangemusic posted:

OK home recording thread:

It took me less than an hour to make a decent microphone out of an old rotary phone. Go to your local Sally Ann/Goodwill/junk shop and get one. You barely need to solder, because all the terminals are screw-down type - it sounds scuzzy and weird and kind of great, or would at least make a funky talkback mic. Your choice as to whether you want to wire the mouthpiece (mic) or the earpiece(speaker) as the element: do the former and it needs phantom power, but the signal runs very hot and likely needs attenuation to be useful. Do the latter and the gain structure is a bit more normal, and it's just a normal dynamic mic with no phantom needed. Each way sounds slightly differently scuzzy -I like the mouthpiece variation. If you can make your own XLR cable, you can do this project - just trace the leads from the mic/speaker and screw down leads for your XLR tail as they correspond to the +/- terminals. Ground can go to an empty or unused terminal.

This is a pretty good idea, I might have to try this.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

HollisBrown posted:

I bet that makes a pretty great harp mic. I actually might try it.

This guy is awesomely Swedish and explains that you are correct. He uses the earpiece and wires the XLR direct to the handset cord.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJVKZkkfaW8

El Miguel
Oct 30, 2003
edit: it took me two days to realize what an unbelievably stupid question that was. In asking it as I did, it answered itself.

El Miguel fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Sep 21, 2014

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...
So I'm considering setting up a modest start of a home studio. Initially it will just be the recording and mixing of guitar, bass and drums:

Instruments:
My guitar
My bass
Whatever drum sequencing VST I settle on

Interfaces:
Blackstar ID30 simulated output over USB
Fender Bronco 40 simulated output over USB

DAW:
Reaper 4

Computing chassis:
My laptop (Alienware 14)

Monitoring:
HDMI out -> spare 5.1 receiver I have -> spare Infinity Interlude 20's and an old Polk PSW250 that's been retuned for flatter, expanded lower frequency response (in my small office it's fine)

I'm already aware of these issues with the setup:

Simulated outputs range from "has its limitations" to "wow that sounds like poo poo".
Monitoring on home stereo gear != monitoring on monitors. I could be convinced to bring my Behringer MS40's home from work, but honestly there's better bandwidth in my IL20's and I can always check my mix on my main music setup to see if I did something crazy (Ascend Acoustic Sierra 1's, HSU Research VTF 3 MK4).

This setup is mainly to get me started on using a DAW and tracking and mastering through it. I will at a later time purchase some kind of DI, couple of mics, etc... so I can mic up the piano, proper mic of my acoustic, etc... There will probably also be some kind of midi keyboard controller purchased at some point and the pile instrument VST's will begin.

Anywhoo, this is my idea for a "hey I don't do this for a living but I'd like to get into it quickly and cheaply" design.

Thanks in advance!

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010
ezdrummer 2.0 is incredibly nice, here's a track I did where I tried to make a breakbeat in ezdrummer 2.0
https://soundcloud.com/skriket/ett-band-som-heter-ayatollah

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Who wanna help me buy a new mic

I currently have a pretty bad USB mic and I've been wanting something better for ages. The easiest thing for me to do would be to upgrade on USB mics and get a Blue Yeti, which I'm considering. As far as I can tell they're decent and certainly the best USB option. I'm willing to spend a bit more though if it's really worth it, which I suspect it may be. I mainly want to record guitar, vocals and keys, and I'm just wondering if it's worth getting a preamp and a mic to go with that. The Shure SM whatever mics always seem to crop up and they're affordable, but I've no idea if they sound any better than a Blue Yeti would given that they're of a similar price

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

Paperhouse posted:

The Shure SM whatever mics always seem to crop up and they're affordable, but I've no idea if they sound any better than a Blue Yeti would given that they're of a similar price

I've tried a handful of mics over the years for different things, but when I picked up an SM57 last year for the first time it became my default mic for everything. I haven't busted out a microphone other than my SM57 in over a year. Maybe someone else will tell you different, but if you aren't sure what to get then the SM57 is just a great all-around mic, even for vocals if you buy the pop filter.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Alternatively, the Sennheiser e609 is a fantastic mic, mainly for guitar cabs and such. Comparable to the 57 in price but with a drastically different sound. It's my preference.

As far as preamps go, the Golden Age Pre73 is a modern recreation of an old Neve unit and sounds INCREDIBLE with a very distinctive color. They're not horribly expensive either. That and the matching 3 band para EQ are on my essentials list.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

Paperhouse posted:

Who wanna help me buy a new mic

I currently have a pretty bad USB mic and I've been wanting something better for ages. The easiest thing for me to do would be to upgrade on USB mics and get a Blue Yeti, which I'm considering. As far as I can tell they're decent and certainly the best USB option. I'm willing to spend a bit more though if it's really worth it, which I suspect it may be. I mainly want to record guitar, vocals and keys, and I'm just wondering if it's worth getting a preamp and a mic to go with that. The Shure SM whatever mics always seem to crop up and they're affordable, but I've no idea if they sound any better than a Blue Yeti would given that they're of a similar price

FMR Really Nice Preamp + Whatever You Want. SM57 or a Cascade Fathead Bare Essentials version if you're feeling like an awesome person and want a ribbon mic under $200.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

strangemusic posted:

FMR Really Nice Preamp + Whatever You Want. SM57 or a Cascade Fathead Bare Essentials version if you're feeling like an awesome person and want a ribbon mic under $200.

I got a stereo pair of Cascade Fatheads and I routinely run them through an FMR RNP, and they sound awesome together, However if I had one mic to work with it wouldn't be a ribbon mic, they aren't going to be great on vocals or acoustic guitars unless you're going for a very stylistic sound.

If I had to have only 1 mic I'd have a LDC like an AT2020 or Rode NT-1.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

iostream.h posted:

As far as preamps go, the Golden Age Pre73 is a modern recreation of an old Neve unit and sounds INCREDIBLE with a very distinctive color. They're not horribly expensive either. That and the matching 3 band para EQ are on my essentials list.

Another vote for the Pre73, it's an awesome pre-amp for whatever mic you're using. I went through a couple lower end preamps before plunking down the cash for a Pre73 and it was worth it. Don't cheap out on a preamp.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

Another vote for the Pre73, it's an awesome pre-amp for whatever mic you're using. I went through a couple lower end preamps before plunking down the cash for a Pre73 and it was worth it. Don't cheap out on a preamp.

Ok, I'll be the dissenting voice on this one: I am not a huge fan of the Pre73, it goes nicely on drums but I always pick other stuff for vocals or guitars when given the chance. I'm more an API style guy than a Neve style guy, all things considered.

strangemusic fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Oct 9, 2014

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
I'm tired of my computer speakers and likely buying new ones. It sounds like the M Audio AV40s are basically the way to go for decent monitors that still can be my main computer speakers. Are there any better options?

I've looked at the monoprice 5" monitors, too. Both of these sets are larger than my current speakers which is potentially an issue.

I have a Komplete Audio 6 that I'd be plugging them into. Suggestions?

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Any set of monitors can be used as main speakers as long as you are happy with how they sound, monitors don't necessarily imply flat, sterile audio. I have a set of Pioneer 8" monitors connected to my computer and they are great for games, video, music, production, whatever. Using one set of monitors for everything can actually be beneficial because you will get to know their sound output intimately, especially if you listen to already-familiar music, and this will ultimately help your mixing.

I can't vouch for the AV40s specifically but I had a set of Roland monitors with 4" cones and while they sounded clear they really didn't have a lot of low end and that got to me after a while, hence the upgrade to 8" (way overkill for my room but so so awesome), if you can afford the cost and desk space I would definitely recommend a set with 5" cones.

Also it will be worth your while buying some squares of acoustic foam (50cm per side, 5cm deep, not very expensive) and placing them on your walls at the main reflection points like the left and right of your seating position (literally get a mirror and have someone walk around your room with it against the walls while you sit in the listening position, when you can see your speaker in the mirror, that is a reflection point). When I went from standard room-filling pc speakers to surgically direct nearfield monitors the sound was a cluttered mess and was initially a pretty disappointing upgrade, but after putting up a bunch of foam everything improved dramatically, especially the stereo image. Seating the monitors on foam similar to this can help with bass response and overall sound accuracy by decoupling the speakers from the desk, lowering vibration transmission. You can spend hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars improving the acoustics of a room but doing just these couple of fixes will give you a pretty dramatic improvement without much outlay.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Can someone recommend me an inexpensive MIDI keyboard? It will be my first. I am a piano player so a full or almost full set of keys is important to me, fiddly knobs, sliders and wheels are less important.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Subyng posted:

Can someone recommend me an inexpensive MIDI keyboard? It will be my first. I am a piano player so a full or almost full set of keys is important to me, fiddly knobs, sliders and wheels are less important.

I have an M-Audio Axiom 49, and it's done fine for me as a babby's-first-midi-controller. Nothing overly extravagant but does what I need. They have a 61-key version as well, and some 88-key models in some of their other lines. Probably the biggest downfall though is that the keys aren't weighted. Or rather, they're "semi-weighted" but still feel like poo poo compared to real, weighted keys.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Can anyone recommend a good recording app for the iPhone 5?

I'm jamming with friends tonight and I want to capture the session for ideas without futzing with recording gear.

I basically want to put my phone on a stool and be able to press record/stop easily throughout the night.

Edit: not sure if this is a home recording question or a short question question, so I'm posting here because I like this thread better.

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Oct 21, 2014

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.

Agrikk posted:

I'm jamming with friends tonight and I want to capture the session for ideas without futzing with recording gear.

I basically want to put my phone on a stool and be able to press record/stop easily throughout the night.

Edit: not sure if this is a home recording question or a short question question, so I'm posting here because I like this thread better.

Can't you just use Voice Memo? That's what I used to do before I got a dedicated portable recorder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Agrikk posted:

Do you not have garageband? My 6 has it and its pretty sweet