Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.
*tumbleweeds*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Slashrat posted:

After all, the last time he was forced to depend on Elan's skill at that, he lost his manhood (literally, if temporarily)

I swear to Thor I will crit the next person who uses the word "allegory"

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Yesssssssssssssssssssssssss it's so good

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Boldor posted:

Something's very, very wrong with Redcloak that's not immediately obvious. Compare the real Redcloak here.

Hahaha drat completely missed that.

Xykon's face while he's pleading then getting his head cleaved almost feels... horrifying? Especially punctuated by the glazed over faces of the crew after the fact.

edit:

Also, the way the color gets washed out towards then end then snaps back for the reveal is pretty sweet.

D1Sergo fucked around with this message at 18:12 on May 5, 2013

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

sebmojo posted:

Psythulu

drat it I KNEW this abomination was going to start creeping around the forums.

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Cowboy Elan is still making me laugh :)

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

This comic is blatantly disrespectful to Atheist viewpoints and I will not support this Theist garbage :smug:

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

I guess a few hours living out the rest of your life gives you a new perspective on your impending doom.

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

I keep looking at it and seeing new monsters hidden in places that I missed before, very nice.

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

You guys are driving a goofy joke into tinfoil hat territory o.O

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

*shishkabob!*

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

SirDan3k posted:

Nale will live because Rich thinks people care or should care about Nale.

Yeah, I don't get it either.

In a world of awesome villains, you need one guy to be "That rear end in a top hat".

Upgrading him to "That rear end in a top hat who totally betrayed and murdered one of the villains we liked" is a nice touch I think.

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Isn't Durkon a competent enough Cleric to figure out protection from sunlight himself? Although I guess Malack had the benefit of time lived as a Vampire Cleric.

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

I only just now realized that in the last strip, Nale is ripping off Malack's robe's to expose him to the sun. Totally didn't get that.

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Haley's delighted face as she loots the wands off of Zz just kills me. Does she Use Magic Device?

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Considering how much Tarquin is into controlling people and having them implicitly submit to his authority, I can totally see how Nale saw Tarquin as the manipulative controller he is and wanted nothing to do with giving Tarquin any kind of satisfaction.

Of course, explicit authority (IE "I have stabbed you now") works just as well for Tarquin when someone is pushing the issue. Nale chose a realllly bad time to test those limits, but Tarquin totally undermined Nale's villainy by offering assistance to the OOTS.

"Dad those are MY rivals WHY WON'T YOU LET ME BE THE VILLAIN"

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Mystic Mongol posted:

Your character has to retire from adventuring eventually. Do you want to wind up a generic king of a generic small kingdom in a generic castle, or do you want to be the slightly frazzled elderly teacher running a small daycare catering exclusively to CR 14+ demons?

Reminds me of an old campaign I was in:

"No Mr. Party Paladin, you won't lose your alignment if we leave the Lizardfolk hatchlings to die. Ugh, no, we're NOT taking them with us. No, no prison will take them. NO, there is no one in town that will take them in. No, this kingdom does not have functioning Lizardfolk orphanages. No, the regular orphanages are understaffed as it is, the kingdom is suffering a recession and has dramatically reduced its social services. No, it is not dishonorable to surprise the enemy and attack them. No, please don't use your surprise round to issue an honorable challenge to the kobolds..." ETC FOR DAYS.

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

To be honest I'd like to play with the Paladin who tries to find a home for lost lizardfolk more than the one who leaves them to die because :effort:

In hindsight I agree, the rest of us just kind of wanted to be done with the lizardfolk issue instead of being cool and rolling with it.

On the other hand, it was kind of hard to not feel silly discussing the ethics of rescuing hissing lizard babies after we just burst in and brutally murdered their parents.

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Strudel Man posted:

He literally says "lowly stock." That doesn't mean 'dick,' it means 'commoner.'

so it makes zero sense for him to consider 'common people' to be inferior as a class.

I doubt Tarquin considers himself to be a "common person" even if he came from "common people". Tarquin likely considers everyone that is not him or his kids to be "lowly stock", that's what makes him an arrogant/magnificent douche. It's a burn on Ian for being made into a "Terrorist/assassin/wanted man" and a dig against Haley for being Ian's kid.

I doubt it really tells us much on Tarquin's view of class politics, he seems to be more of a "if you can take it, it's yours" kind of guy.

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

This sounds silly but Belkar's line gets a lot funnier when you make sure to put the correct emphasis on "your".

"Can't we go back to dealing with YOUR daddy issues?

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

I thought we had decided that the MitD was a Gazebo.

"poo poo, this beast has Hardness, run!"

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

"Sub boss Zyklon"

If ever there was a point where Tarquin's hubris would seal his fate, this is it.

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

I was looking to see if Belkar had gotten healed at any point but I missed the fact that vampire drain drains his CON straight up, it's good to have that clarified.

Also, it's funny to think of Restoration spells as just magical transfusions. Poisoned or drained? Replace your blood!

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Eox posted:

I kinda feel like we all liked Tarquin too much, so Rich turned up the 'Convention-following' to 11

I'm okay with this, we probably did like him too much :D

D1Sergo fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Sep 5, 2013

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

mmkay posted:

Well he's put ranks in Move silently, Hide and I guess Intimidate? Plus the four ranks in Gourmet Chef.

I don't think intimidate is a D&D skill (it IS a Neverwinter Nights skill though). Likely hide, move silently, tumble, jump... and maybe balance? He's pretty nimble all around. Profession: Chef isn't out of the equation as far as 3.5 rules go.

D1Sergo fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Sep 6, 2013

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Who What Now posted:

Intimidate absolutely is a D&D skill, it's one of the Sacred Cows of the system, persisting into even 4e, where Skills were super-condensed.. Intimidate, Sense Motive, Bluff, Diplomacy, and Gather Information are the "Social" skills.

Huh, my eyes must have glazed over it. Oops.

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

For all intents and purposes Tarquin has succeeded in his plan: Live the good life as an evil warlord without making yourself an easy target. Everything else is a way to mitigate his own admittedly inevitable downfall. Perhaps he figures that the only end that can come for an evil villain in his position is to be killed by a hero, but I don't think he would find it too terrible if he was taken out by a mook: he's already achieved his evil empire dreams, after all. I don't see any end for Tarquin that doesn't result in him feeling "Welp, at least it was a sweet ride".

Maybe he can join his son in Hell and discover the joys of eternal damnation together, but "you'll get your just rewards in the afterlife" always seems like a cop out to me.

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Vorgen posted:

A high-level spellcaster up against an army's worth of mooks in the next strip? I can't wait!

Hell yes, but that means the psion and the blue guy may have to jump in and run interference. Who knows how badly the teams will be stacked at that point? V can at least clear a path to the gate though if need be.

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

greatn posted:

Could he just gate Lee on down to prune material plane?

Knowing this comic, "prune material plane" probably exists. The portal to it opens regularly.

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Good thing Belkar got that protection from arrows spell :)

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

MikeJF posted:

What's the downside to living on an Astral Plane planetoid and nicking back to prime material when you feel like it? Timelessness seems pretty sweet.

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Astral_Plane

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:About_Planes#Timeless

Basically, time still passes while in the astral plane, and the physical effects of time catch up to you when you leave it.

edit: ^^ What he said.

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Boldor posted:

"Some desperate people used a Wish to wish for powerful adventurers to save them"

I'm sad to say that it never even occurred to me to use this as a campaign plot device when I've DMed.

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

prefect posted:

I really like Tarquin's friends. They're his equals and have their own opinions. :allears:

I really like Jacinda's place in the team too: Silent, in the background, always assassinating things. Even Miron's all "throw Jacinda at the problem and be done with it". She could just come out of nowhere and gently caress something up at anytime.

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Blackwing's enthusiasm for the revolutionary spirit always amuses me greatly.

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Technogeek posted:

My finest dice-relalated moment was in a Mutants and Masterminds game where I was playing a Bishop-esque energy absorber. Rolled three straight natural 20s and one-shotted what was supposed to be my group's recurring nemesis on his first appearance.

Our recurring nemesis was supposed to be the Purple Avenger, an obnoxious fighter-bard. The DM told us he was supposed to get away with expeditious retreat or something, but our monk just grappled the gently caress out of him and beat him silly. I got his +2 rapier of bleeding.

Next session I was one-shot by shocker lizards grouped up in a cave, while scouting for traps. For some reason, my friends threw the sword into a pool along with my corpse and all my other stuff. Circle of life I guess.

D1Sergo fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Sep 27, 2013

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Speedball posted:

Wait, wait, this is the same T-rex that already turned on its masters once before? That doesn't seem like a good idea to start with. (For them to bring it out of its cage, I mean)

Before it was set loose without a rider and was just kind of rampaging indiscriminately. Although, that makes me wonder what difference the rider actually makes....

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

I've fixed OOTS for you guys (I couldn't decide whether to make them bad or good so I did a little of both).

Roy - Samuel L. Jackson
Elan - Matt Damon
Haley - Angelina Jolie
Belkar - Jack Nicholson
Durkon - Sean Connery
Vaarsuvius - Tom Hiddleston
Blackwing - Gilbert Gottfried
Xykon - Tim Curry

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

wdarkk posted:

I kind of want to see a vignette with the Triceratops on another plane now.

I wondered what happened to the triceratops, then I wondered if you were making an awkward snakes on a plane reference, and it took me 5 minutes to put it together.

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

We've seen a bunch of Laurin's tricks but we'll probably see Miron pull something out before he eats it, maybe. Baleful Polymorph is a pretty neat choice at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Gee, I hope Rich is okay!

I've always wanted to do that.