Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Thanks! I know the thread's dogpiled you but I actually agree that those were a few very awkward panels, and it's nice to get the ambiguity straightened up by Rich.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Wait, wait, this is the same T-rex that already turned on its masters once before? That doesn't seem like a good idea to start with. (For them to bring it out of its cage, I mean)

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.

Speedball posted:

Wait, wait, this is the same T-rex that already turned on its masters once before? That doesn't seem like a good idea to start with. (For them to bring it out of its cage, I mean)

Before it was set loose without a rider and was just kind of rampaging indiscriminately. Although, that makes me wonder what difference the rider actually makes....

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

D1Sergo posted:

Before it was set loose without a rider and was just kind of rampaging indiscriminately. Although, that makes me wonder what difference the rider actually makes....

Well, think about it.

A dinosaur is pretty cool.

A guy riding a dinosaur is even cooler.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I'm sure the rider had enough npc levels to have a decent handle animal. But Belkar has a much higher charisma obviously.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Shugojin posted:

Well, think about it.

And a halfling riding a dinosaur is the coolest. Just look at Eberron.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Shugojin posted:

Well, think about it.

Not cool enough until the guy riding a dinosaur is shooting laser and missiles.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Dino Riders. Best idea or greatest idea.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

The Best.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

BexGu posted:

MY god. Dimetrodon, Stegosaurus, and a Pachycephalosaurus all in one picture. :psyduck:

Permian and late Cretaceous.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Eifert Posting posted:

MY god. Dimetrodon, Stegosaurus, and a Pachycephalosaurus all in one picture. :psyduck:

Permian and late Cretaceous.

Yeah, that's what's scientifically inaccurate about Dino Riders.

enigma105
Mar 16, 2004

His record...it's over 9-7!!!

Random Stranger posted:

Yeah, that's what's scientifically inaccurate about Dino Riders.

You leave the Hammerhead Shark-people, Ant-people, and Snake-people led by a Frog-person out of this!

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I start hearing hair metal whenever I look at the picture. Is that supposed to happen?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Voyager I posted:

I start hearing hair metal whenever I look at the picture. Is that supposed to happen?

No, Hair Metal wishes it was that awesome.

cbservo
Dec 26, 2009

by exmarx

BexGu posted:

My childhood rejoices.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

cbservo posted:

My childhood rejoices.

What is that dino-laser picture from?

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sebmojo posted:

What is that dino-laser picture from?

Affi posted:

Dino Riders. Best idea or greatest idea.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dino-Riders

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

enigma105 posted:

You leave the Hammerhead Shark-people, Ant-people, and Snake-people led by a Frog-person out of this!

Look I can buy Aliens, but the fossil record is pretty clear on eras. :colbert:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Eifert Posting posted:

Look I can buy Aliens, but the fossil record is pretty clear on eras. :colbert:

Besides that, those people were all destroyed by lasers shot from dinosaurs, which is why there's no evidence of them left. :v:

flyingkiwi
Jun 1, 2012

Wowzers!
Is Rich OK?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

flyingkiwi posted:

Is Rich OK?

He's pretty good, definitely the best stick figure D&D webcomic artist. So, yeah, pretty OK in my book.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I just hope he's alright. Ya got a problem with me spending some good will on the guy. :downs:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Maybe he's powered by pedantic of topic arguments, and no one really had anything dumb to say about the last comic.

Or maybe the next comic is a giant five page splash panel.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

It'd be fine for me if the comic ended here, with Belkar riding a giant dinosaur into the sunset.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

greatn posted:

Maybe he's powered by pedantic of topic arguments, and no one really had anything dumb to say about the last comic.

Or maybe the next comic is a giant five page splash panel.

I'm gonna assume the latter, since I get the idea people are just waiting for this arc to finish up already, and there really isn't all that much left to get in the way of whatever the finale for this will be.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Regalingualius posted:

I'm gonna assume the latter, since I get the idea people are just waiting for this arc to finish up already, and there really isn't all that much left to get in the way of whatever the finale for this will be.

There's maybe one last important plot 'thing' that will happen before the end of the arc. But yeah, the last dozen or so strips have really been treading water and I just want the story to move on now.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I wouldn't say treading water. It's good solid action, and the first time in what feels like a very, very long time of the group working together cohesively as a unit. I can't even remember the last time they weren't separated for combat.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

ikanreed posted:

He's pretty good, definitely the best stick figure D&D webcomic artist. So, yeah, pretty OK in my book.

Nice. How long have you been sitting on that one?

Alchenar posted:

There's maybe one last important plot 'thing' that will happen before the end of the arc. But yeah, the last dozen or so strips have really been treading water and I just want the story to move on now.

Action scenes that don't end in one strip tend to feel like that until they're all done and you can read them all at once.

Although the zingers at the end can interrupt it a little even then.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

terminal mehmet posted:

Action scenes that don't end in one strip tend to feel like that until they're all done and you can read them all at once.

Although the zingers at the end can interrupt it a little even then.

Before webcomics took off, had anyone ever tried telling a story in this half-and-half sorta way? Single strips with self-contained punchlines like newspaper comics, but long connected storylines like monthly comics? It definitely has its pros and cons, but sometimes reading day-to-day is only slightly better than if you had to wait several days between each page of, say, Batman.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Phenotype posted:

Before webcomics took off, had anyone ever tried telling a story in this half-and-half sorta way? Single strips with self-contained punchlines like newspaper comics, but long connected storylines like monthly comics? It definitely has its pros and cons, but sometimes reading day-to-day is only slightly better than if you had to wait several days between each page of, say, Batman.

I don't know if any of them went full-bore long-term narrative. I don't think so. I vaguely remember Peanuts had a handful of short arcs. But that could be me misremembering based on all the other Peanuts media like movies and books.

Dilbert's definitely had some loose story arcs.

But by and large, most print comics were far more concerned with now than with later, and only a few even acknowledged the past.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Add Garfield to the list of newspaper comic strips that used to do story arcs.

Yes, that Garfield.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Phenotype posted:

Nearly every page of Tintin ends with a cliffhanger.

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

Does Doonesbury count? It seems to alternate between gag-a-day and long running story lines.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Bongo Bill posted:

Nearly every page of Tintin ends with a cliffhanger.
Serialized in a magazine was more or less the default publishing form for Franco-Belgian comics for a good long while. I never made the connection before, but that's basically the same principle.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
:siren:New Strip:siren:

Featuring T-Rex backflips.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Go into the portal you jerks I want this poo poo explained :mad:

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
SEE?! SEE?! This is how you do fanservice. Not poorly drawn female anatomy, but high level adventuring parties riding gymnastically inclined Tyrannosauridae into the sunset while flipping the bird at an unpopular villain.

Rich is pretty OK.

Phenotype posted:

Uh, Dickens? Pretty much all novels were serialized back in the day. Most of Dickens novels came out in 20 or so monthly allotments of about 30 pages. People used to complain about novelists padding out stories much like we do with modern serialized media, too.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Oct 9, 2013

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Good show, Rich. I'm wondering if Tarquin is going to give chase, or be impressed enough by their dramatic escape that he just lets them go.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Eifert Posting posted:

Uh, Dickens? Pretty much all novels were serialized back in the day. Most of Dickens novels came out in 20 or so monthly allotments of about 30 pages. People used to complain about novelists padding out stories much like we do with modern serialized media, too.
"Yes, the latest installment was once again excellent, but I must say, I do tire of reading about that jew Fagin. I enjoyed it far more when it was still about the innocent joys of the workhouse."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Honestly, so much of this arc has been the heroes struggling against stupid obstacles that the villains overcome effortlessly (the Windy Canyon, the epic illusion, traps in the floor) that a long extended sequence of the Order kicking rear end is justified, maybe even necessary.

ConfusedUs posted:

I don't know if any of them went full-bore long-term narrative. I don't think so. I vaguely remember Peanuts had a handful of short arcs. But that could be me misremembering based on all the other Peanuts media like movies and books.

Prince Valiant? Dick Tracy?