Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I had no idea either of them were in those films so I definitely had to check Wikipedia after that episode. But I love that rather than avoiding the subject they lean into it. In the On Cinema universe these two guys just randomly found parts in these huge films. Great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

If you didn't know they were in those movies then it's fairly safe to say you don't read their tweets, and if don't read their tweets you're missing out on at least half the fun of the On Cinema universe.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Diabolik900 posted:

If you didn't know they were in those movies then it's fairly safe to say you don't read their tweets, and if don't read their tweets you're missing out on at least half the fun of the On Cinema universe.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
I appreciate that Tim's hatred of all things Bond is continually brought back up multiple times per season.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I love the plot twist in the latest On Cinema episode.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Chairman Capone posted:

I love the plot twist in the latest On Cinema episode.

softbomb
Dec 30, 2004

:siren:Check it out Season 4 is coming:siren:

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Finally, Steve will get to do his thing on cars that he started in I think the second episode of Awesome Show

wagnike2
May 31, 2007

Lucha LaBOOM
Stoked for more Brule, though I was really hoping they'd just do more Bag Boy.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
I'm hoping the next DVD release is not only a combo of seasons 3 and 4, but also includes Bag Boy as a special feature.

Gonna have to bust out my Wait-mate.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Got Zan on speed-dial

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Man, gotta hand it to Gregg, Decker season 3 is getting pretty intense. Great new direction to revitalize the franchise.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Hopefully he can work things out with Tim. It would be a real shame to see it canceled before its time.

elime anning
Nov 19, 2002

Morbid Hound

Data Graham posted:

How did they do the van crash stunt at the beginning of Road Trip?

I keep looking for an obvious cut or something but I can't see one.

I have wondered this for years

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Chairman Capone posted:

Man, gotta hand it to Gregg, Decker season 3 is getting pretty intense. Great new direction to revitalize the franchise.

Third episode is the best yet!

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

RIP Decker S3.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They've announced a new Bedtime Stories special to air Nov 6th.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
Tim saying Ant Man with the "starring Gregg Turkington" at the bottom and Gregg immediately getting up was fan loving tastic.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I'm watching some random cooking show, and the host is all, "let's take a break and go to our doctor to tell you all about the health benefits of turmeric, and it tastes great, too!"

Who's the doctor? Holy poo poo, it's loving Jimmy Brungus, AKA Johnny Boden, PhD. I had no idea Steve Brule had actual doctors on Check It Out for the Doctor To Doctor segments. That makes them like ten times funnier. "I don't have to say anything, I'm a doctor, too..."

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

enojy posted:

I'm watching some random cooking show, and the host is all, "let's take a break and go to our doctor to tell you all about the health benefits of turmeric, and it tastes great, too!"

Who's the doctor? Holy poo poo, it's loving Jimmy Brungus, AKA Johnny Boden, PhD. I had no idea Steve Brule had actual doctors on Check It Out for the Doctor To Doctor segments. That makes them like ten times funnier. "I don't have to say anything, I'm a doctor, too..."

Can't remember his name, but the subject expert in the Space episode is a real astronomy prof at a school in California, and I found his RateMyProfessor page years back. I found Boden's site as well and I think a few more.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I watched The New Big Ball for the first time just now. It's definitely a shame, but not a surprise, that Adult Swim didn't approve it. I can't even imagine what a full season of it would be like. I also noticed it seems to be the first time they use "Toad's" as a brand name before it popped up a few times on Check it Out.

WITNESS THE POWER!
Jun 13, 2009

Why don't you go get a glass of orange juice and spill it all over yourself like a big dumb baby

I'm rewatching all of On Cinema for the 3rd time, and it seriously might be my favorite comedy thing ever.

The only frustrating thing is, and I wonder if anyone else on here has this problem: It's almost impossible to recommend On Cinema to anyone I personally know, even to other fans of Tim & Eric. The humor is so dry, it's full of callbacks/in-jokes, and it's a slow burn to watch. I have a hard time even explaining why the show is funny. Saying that it's a "movie review show parody" really only describes it on a surface level, but that's basically the easiest way to sum it up for people.

I think from now on, I'll try to describe On Cinema as "A soap opera about the symbiotic relationship shared between two egomaniacs."

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008
Yeah, and half the experience is watching Decker and following Tim/Greg on twitter. Even my friend who likes Tim and Eric eventually got bored of On Cinema. It is just incredibly dry humor, and I love the commitment to the characters that they maintain. Seeing Tim break character (which he does rarely) is actually disconcerting.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

WITNESS THE POWER! posted:

I'm rewatching all of On Cinema for the 3rd time, and it seriously might be my favorite comedy thing ever.

The only frustrating thing is, and I wonder if anyone else on here has this problem: It's almost impossible to recommend On Cinema to anyone I personally know, even to other fans of Tim & Eric. The humor is so dry, it's full of callbacks/in-jokes, and it's a slow burn to watch. I have a hard time even explaining why the show is funny. Saying that it's a "movie review show parody" really only describes it on a surface level, but that's basically the easiest way to sum it up for people.

I think from now on, I'll try to describe On Cinema as "A soap opera about the symbiotic relationship shared between two egomaniacs."

You need to go listen to the podcast that preceded the show.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
I work for an indie cinema and a lot of the episodes seem to work in isolation for just how absurd they are. We look at a lot of lovely reviews tho and the banality of Turkington's analysis is pitch-perfect.

"I couldn't stop thinking about James Bond while watching but that's not the movie's fault so I give it five bags of popcorn."

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
That is, I showed them to some coworkers to get them excited about Entertainment and to familiarize them with this group of talented people

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

David Liebe Hart posted:

Dear fans you can see me soon in new epsiodes of Steve Brule and Becker! I filmed for them for the last 2 weeks and they will be very funny!

He just posted this on Twitter. Didn't Becker go off the air in 2004? I wonder what he's talking about.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Now I really hope that Gregg carries through with his threat to continue Decker with the names changed, and replaced Tim with DLH.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

codyclarke posted:

He just posted this on Twitter. Didn't Becker go off the air in 2004? I wonder what he's talking about.

He must've spilled the beans about the reboot before it could be announced. I bet Ted "Little" Danson "Man" is going to be pissed.

Moscow Mule
Dec 21, 2004

Nothing beats the taste sensation when maple syrup collides with ham.
The star of "The Becker" has never been smaller

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master
"On Cinema" has been transcendent so far this season.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

oh god the embarrassement I felt for that guest.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Half-hour Bedtime Stories special airing 11:30 on Nov. 6, in case anyone here didn't already know.

WITNESS THE POWER!
Jun 13, 2009

Why don't you go get a glass of orange juice and spill it all over yourself like a big dumb baby

Holy poo poo. This was genuinely depressing.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Yeah, that was way worse than anything I was expecting to see of the Victorville Film Archive.

Also I'm hoping it goes super dark with Tom Cruise Jr.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Wizard Master posted:

"On Cinema" has been transcendent so far this season.

Completely agreed. I love the bizarre little universe that has somehow spawned out of a film review parody show. I think it's amazing how in an age where everyone is awkwardly integrating social media into their show, movie, or video game, On Cinema has actually accomplished this better than anyone by making Twitter an active part of the show's story, and a huge source of its comedy.

And yeah, the Victorville Film Archive reveal was hilarious horrible.

Chairman Capone posted:

Also I'm hoping it goes super dark with Tom Cruise Jr.

I think it has to. He's been under the care of Dr. San for months, he's either going to die or get much sicker.

Nichael fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Nov 5, 2015

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Nichael posted:

Completely agreed. I love the bizarre little universe that has somehow spawned out of a film review parody show. I think it's amazing how in an age where everyone is awkwardly integrating social media into their show, movie, or video game, On Cinema has actually accomplished this better than anyone by making Twitter an active part of the show's story, and a huge source of its comedy.

I'm starting from scratch with the podcast, because it looks like it'll only take me a few commutes to get through. The bite-sized format really supports it well; I hope the longer later episodes and the video ones don't start to get daunting.

I love playing the mental game of "how long would it take a listener who doesn't know the people involved to realize that the whole thing is a gag?" Like, Tim is so good at integrating his little verbal stumbles into what sounds like a carefully engineered character that you could almost be forgiven for thinking it's just a really shittily made podcast by a couple of idiots.

(Also I wonder what it's like to actually be on set with a thing he's directing for real. Is he actually more on the ball, or is he basically just playing himself with full mockery, like DLH and James Quall and those guys are?)

Am I missing out on a lot of live-occurring Twitter stuff by going through it after the fact?

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
I think necessarily so you are missing out. Remember when Ant-Man came out? Good poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

You won't have any trouble following the show without reading the Twitter stuff, but it does add a lot to it. The Twitter stuff is also good because it continues the whole thing (albeit at a reduced frequency) between seasons of the show.

Some of my favorite Twitter stuff is just Tim and Gregg trying, and often failing, to get into contact with each other before the next episode of the show is taped.

I guess the one drawback to the Twitter stuff is that there's no easy way to follow along with it if you're watching the show later.