Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

Xovaan posted:

Dainese TRQ is apparently a good 300ish dollar boot too. The goretex one isn't too much more expensive and is one of the highest rated boots on Revzilla (and Anthony took it around Europe and said it held up really well too)

I just picked up a pair of these (the gore-tex version) from MotardInn for a bit over $200 plus postage to Australia (so it works out as $260-odd). They're unbelievably comfortable on the bike and no more awkward than any other bike shoe for walking in. Lateral protection feels really solid compared to other boots at the price and there's all sorts of plastic sliders or what-not over the ankles and other bits that you don't want ground down.

In case anyone's interested:

http://www.motardinn.com/motorcycle-equipment/dainese-trq-tour-goretex-black/28114/p

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

Here4DaGangBang posted:

If you want top shelf stuff in Aus it definitely does cost. I think my breakdown was something like:

Arai Profile $950
Dainese leather jacket and pants ~$1000
A* GP Pro (or plus, can't remember now) gloves ~$200
Sidi Vertigo boots $500

This was all the stuff that fit me best, being a skinny, narrow-footed long oval-headed person. As it is I think next boot purchase will need to be women's boots, because the ones I have are still too big - I wear thick socks and have sports foam inner soles in them, and wear orthotics. Any smaller size was too short.

I think being skinny makes shopping for second hand leathers on craigslist and gumtree, etc, a breeze. There's always someone that's hit middle-aged spread and needs to offload their sexy flanders race suit. Otherwise, though, yeah, Australian prices - especially for nice helmets - can suck it.

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

M42 posted:

Psht. Got my exo400 for 99 on sale in white, gonna sharpie some :krad: poo poo on it and have graphics for like 12 bux.

Actually, speaking of, anyone ever clearcoated a helmet? I assume you block off all the vents and the face/neck hole to keep anything from getting on the EPS foam inside?

Also, scuff the helmet surface with fine sandpaper or what-not before drawing on your design or the clearcoat will peel.

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

Pred1ct posted:

Looking at getting some waterproof boots, what do people think of the Dianese TRQ Tour?

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/dainese-st-trq-tour-goretex

I've had a pair for a bit over a year / 25,000km. They're pretty comfortable for boots with decent ankle protection and they keep water out well. The downsides are that the ankle pivot squeaks - a lot - which you can alleviate by sticking your choice of gunk between the two bits of plastic that rub on each other, but it never completely went away for me. The zip at the rear has started to get a little loose on my pair lately, too. If I'm walking around, the zip slowly comes undone. Stays in place alright when I'm actually on the bike, but it's a bit annoying if I'm walking around.

I recommend them / would buy again, just be aware of those relatively small annoyances.

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

HotCanadianChick posted:

My hands sweat like crazy at all times but I've never had my gloves turn stinky even after 3 years of daily use during my commute.

Maybe lay off the garlic and asparagus sandwiches or shower/wash your hands more frequently? :iiam:

On that note - the summer-weight gloves I've had for the last three years don't stank too bad, but they're looking pretty rough. What are the hive-mind recommendations for sub-$200 perfed gauntlets and/or shorties? (For mixed use on a 690 - commuting, backroads shenanigans, etc)

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I got some Richa gloves that have goretex between the fingers and on the back of the hand (basically on all the areas unlikely to hit the ground). They're the most comfortable gloves I've ever worn but they're actually painfully cold on anything other than a really hot summers day if you're at speed, so thanks to British weather I hardly ever wear them.

Those sound ideal and I don't think the cold will be a problem here in Austraila, but the only Richa distro here is a Deus Ex hipster joint that only stocks the bottom-end dress glove stuff. BA-BAW.

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not
Any of y'all have recommendations for full face helmets for naked bieks? My Shark Vision R starts to deform and lift pretty noticeably when I ride at a decent clip.

(Preferably something that doesn't go for $800+ in Australia - ie: none of your fancy Shoei or Arai buckets)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

Odette posted:

I ride a naked bike and I don't have an issue with my helmet at high speeds. What the gently caress kind of cheap rear end helmet do you have?

edit: Get a goddamn helmet that fits, or I'll grant you New Zealand citizenship.

The Vision R isn't crazy cheap and fits snug until I get up to a good pace. Guess it's just a head shape thing, which is weird because I've got the sort of long head shape they should be good for.

I'd be all for NZ citizenship but I've already got two passports and it seems the kiwis have enough slavs already.