Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Snowdens Secret posted:

That or a bucket of soapy water and a sponge. You get a more thorough clean if you take it off first.

I disagree, while the jacket might get cleaner that way, you get a more thorough cleaning if you leave it on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

M42 posted:

Anyone own a revit turbine jacket? Someone's selling the womens version near me, looks like a pretty sweet deal. I need something cooler than my thickass leather jacket for the murderous summers here.
I rode with a Revit Airwave jacket all of last summer and never felt like I needed something lighter. I mean it doesn't matter what you're wearing, when you're stopped at a stoplight here you'll be sweating, but as long as I was in motion I never felt too warm. I don't have any experience with how their stuff takes a fall, but the jacket feels very solid with a good amount of armor, plus I think they sell upgraded armor as well.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

I'll also second the ADV flea market. You might have to wait and watch for something that's a good price/right size but it can be worth it. I picked up an Olympia AST jacket with liner for something like 120 shipped.

The biggest problem with that is that it feels like everybody there is huge, everything they sell seems like it's XL or XXL and they're selling it because the cut is too tight.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Minty Swagger posted:

I ended up buying new for my Olympia jacket, I actually bought a large and had to send it back for a medium because they're cut pretty big. which means wowsers for those guys in XXLs.

Yeah, mine is a medium and it feels on the large size (I wear large t-shirts and jackets most of the time). It works well with the liner and a sweatshirt or sweater on underneath for the winter.

For the summer it's ok. I wore it for about the first month this summer before getting a dedicated summer jacket. It's pretty well vented but it takes some time to re-velcro all of them every time you switch it. As long as your moving I didn't notice the heat. The straps also don't let me tighten it down quite as much as I would like if I'm only wearing a t-shirt under it.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Designed gots nothing to do with it.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

ON this topic, I've got some Ortlieb panniers for my bicycle and recently picked up racks for my motorcycle that they should be able to fit on. Is there any kind of heat shielding I should do for the one that will hang next to the exhaust? They look like the same kind of material as those dry bags - a kind of shiny rubbery/plastic material. If they do need some shielding any ideas what would work?

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Megaspel posted:

Yo heads up, sorry if I keep derailing this thread into cycle hat chat, but it seems as though mostly everyone is having a good time with it.

You've gotten a lot of advice in this thread, but IMHO it is all pretty bad and wrong. Most of the stats you'll see here are gamed by equipment manufacturers to make you think that helmets somehow make you hugely safer. In reality helmets, both bicycle and motorcycle, are very dangerous. You'll hear about how their weight can cause neck damage in an accident or how they can snag on things, and while those are true, that's not what's so dangerous. Helmets, and protective equipment in general, gives you a false sense of security. You will push yourself to go faster and try more dangerous maneuvers if you're wearing a helmet than if not. I saw a study once (sorry don't have a link handy :() that showed that on average, a helmet wearer will ride 6 mph faster than otherwise. Overconfidence breeds mistakes, and when you're on two wheels you don't want to make any mistakes.

Helmets are also hot and uncomfortable which also leads do dangerous riding. They decrease your visibility, and as you mentioned, mess up your hair. poo poo, the biggest reason why I ride my motorcycle is to look cool, it's such a pain that wearing a helmet messes that up.

My brother's girlfriend was in a bicycle accident last fall. She was wearing a helmet and mashed her head up pretty bad. She's just now learning to walk with a walker and she'll never have full use of her motor skills. We still don't know exactly what caused the accident since she can't remember what happened, but that helmet sure didn't do much - speed definitely could have bee a factor.

It's too bad I live in such a nanny state since I'm required to wear a helmet. I know it makes me a less safe rider. I do take solace in the fact that the biggest reason why I ride is the adrenaline so I try to rationalize my helmet wearing by the fact that it pushes me that much closer to the edge.

If anybody brings up the fact that professional racers wear helmets, just remember that they're already taking it right to the edge so there isn't any more danger added by the helmet.

Also, before anybody jumps down my throat by taking such an anti-CA hive mind stance: I'm just trying to show the OP both sides of the issue. I just hope he does his own research and comes to his own conclusions. This is a sensitive topic so I don't want anybody to make a decision after hearing from only one side. Whatever decision you come to in the end should be your own.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Akion posted:

God dammit. Was having lunch today on the patio at a restaurant. Somewhere in there, my brain realized I wasn't being clumsy enough and my helmet fell ~4 feet off the table and onto the concrete, directly on the top of the dome.

I'm assuming it's time for a new helmet?

That depends on if there's a helmet with awesome graphics or something which you really want. If so, then this is a good excuse to buy a new one, if not, your current helmet is still good!

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Have you ever seen Dirty Rotten Scoundrels? It's like that only you don't want to put a cork on your fork.

If you haven't: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eJ0iGZ7Ms8

Koruthaiolos fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Oct 30, 2014

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

This is what I use and they do a pretty good job in combination with handguards:

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/rukka-3-finger-gore-tex-gloves

They're not heated but they're also pretty cheap in comparison. And you can also wear liners or put heat packs in them too.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Also, I haven't tried it, but according to the Sena manual it has voice answering so it would be totally hands free anyways.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Wapole Languray posted:

I probably massively overspent, especially on gloves/boots, but as I said I've got an issue with that.

First, I don't think it's really possible to overspend on gear. this is the poo poo that's going to keep you alive or in fewer pieces one day, so if you can afford it then go for it. I think $1,000 is pretty reasonable to get your starting gear.

Second, nsaP is right, don't worry so much on waterproof stuff. You'll be more comfortable 90% of the time if you get normal gear and a set of rain gear like Frogg Toggs to wear over it. They're super light wait and compact pretty small so you can just leave them in your pack all the time. One point of disagreement with nsaP, it might be worth it to get waterproof boots. Personally, I don't have a problem with non-vented boots getting to hot and I'm absolutely miserable once my socks and feet get wet.

Also, something to consider about boots is lateral support for your ankles. Compare the ankle support on something like this, http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/alpinestars-smx-plus-vented-boots to the boots you posted and notice the extra support around the ankle. I have a pair of SMX-Plus which I commute on. While I wouldn't walk in them all day they're perfectly comfortable for grabbing some food or stopping by a store. I just keep a pair of sneakers at work.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

In general, I pretty much treat my gear like poo poo. I've had SMX-Pluses for about two years now and below is what the leather on them looks like now. Is there anything I should do to help rejuvenate them or should I just continue not giving a gently caress. Then again, I can also use just about any excuse to buy new stuff:

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

nsaP posted:

Okay so it doesn't help you now, but for the love of god treat and clean your poo poo before that point.

But nsap, that might take actual effort. If you think that's bad you should see my bikes! (I actually do perform regular maintenance on those.)

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Renaissance Robot posted:

Get a non waterproof jacket you like and a cheapish yet decent raincoat 2-3 sizes bigger than you'd usually wear set of Frogg Toggs.

This is what I do. Frogg Toggs are awesome - they're light weight and compact so I just stiff them in my backpack and carry them with me whenever I ride in case of surprise rain.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Wapole Languray posted:

Edit for whining.

I have a budget and I'd like to split up my expenses as much as possible. I'm having a hard time finding something that's as nice for near that money, or should I just suck it up and buy a 400 dollar jacket and matching pants now as a new rider?

As an alternative take on the Airwave, I've ridden with both the pants and jacket for two full years and they've held up. The pants are starting to tear in the crotch now, but I've put them through a fair bit of abuse including firt riding class wear I was off the bike probably 15 times. I know it's anecdotal evidence but I haven't regretted the purchase.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Yes, I can't imagine riding around here in anything but mesh. Leather, even perforated, sounds absolutely suffocating.

I've got an extra Joe Rocket mesh jacket you could try if you want. It's pretty old and doesn't really provide any abrasion protection, but could give you an idea of wat mesh feels like.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

You live in the bay area. I don't think your experience applies to well to places with real weather.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Voltage posted:

Alright, what helmet brands do a fogless (pinlock?) visor that is also photo-chromatic? I currently have a bell vortex but I don't think there is much I can do for fogging other than cracking my visor.

Riding in a heavy thunderstorm on an R1 with a completely fogged over visor, would not recommend, yelp 1 star.

Bell makes a double paned visor that prevents fog. It comes in awinter weather kit that comes with a breath deflector and balaclava. It's not photochromatic but you can wear sunglasses underneath. That's what I do during winter.

E: Here's the revzilla link to it. Out of stock right now but maybe you can find it somewhere else. http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/bell-vortexrs-1star-double-pane-face-shield-kit

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Slavvy posted:

Maybe it's just me then. Seems like nowadays you just have to have your phone on you all the loving time so anyone can call or text or IM or facebook or whatever, everyone knows where everyone else is and what they're doing and it's just this constant buzzing of people and society and bullshit. I don't have the means or circumstances to go camping somewhere super-isolated so being on a bike is the next best thing; I want to disappear off the grid and not have anyone be able to contact me, just ride around in an isolated bubble of controlled risk, waving a big skill-shaped gently caress-you to danger, with nobody to help or hinder or interrupt or advise (cars are inanimate objects with erratic behaviour scripting btw). Bike riding is fun times and the last thing I want is someone bursting into that bubble of calmness with bullshit that couldn't wait for some reason. There are very few things that legitimately can't wait when you don't have children.

The satisfaction of hopping off the bike and seeing a handful of missed calls is indescribable.

tl;dr bikes are me time and me time means gently caress off everyone else - the other 95% of my life is spent running around accommodating other people's poo poo.

You could be like me and just have super lovely cell phone service so once I'm 30 minutes out of the city I don't have coverage. Or just turn on airplane mode and use the phone for music which is 90% of the reason I have a Sena anyways. It's nice to have the option of taking phone calls, especially during my commute.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

If you planted your face at lightspeed and all you got was a couple of stitches I'd say the helmet did a pretty danged good job!

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Razzled posted:

I doubt a pinlock restricts your view in any meaningful way.

The double pane visor I have for my Bell blocks the view of my speedo. But I don't know why I'd want to look at that anyways.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

I don't believe they should be too tight, since it's the inner booty that should keep them snug. But IDK, they might break in some, though that's a big chance for such expensive boots.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Yeah, SMX-Pluses are amazing. I would have no problem wearing them all day at home or at the office (except for the squeaking).

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Jack B Nimble posted:

Have to wear office clothes despite working in a windowless data center. We can be pretty slovenly because we're IT so bad looking polo shirts and random shoes are on the lower end of ok but power ranger boots ain't gonna fly.

I want to get some of those motorcycle boots that kind of look like sneakers; something I can wear on the weekends. I need a normal looking armored shoe that's also light and comfortable. I'd be ok with spending a few hundred on it but I'm not sure which of these shoes online are actually any good?

Tldr what's a good 'sneaker/trainer' style shoe?

SaNChEzZ posted:

I just leave a pair of shoes at my office, boots come off, shoes go on.

Get SMX-Pluses for riding and just switch to sneakers or whatever at work.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Don't worry, after you order a replacement you'll find it under a couch cushion where your dog carried it.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

They snap on, not screw. Bur they are a pain in the rear end to get to clip on so I could see a few making it out of the factory without being properly seated.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

They're attached by a clip on front and a clip on the back. I've had them come off a few times. Only while walking around where I must have snagged them on something, not while riding. I'd look around where you park and where you take them off. And the couch cushion, I wasn't joking about that.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Foxtrot_13 posted:

Do you trust USPS/UPS/RM to treat the helmet box with care or will they just toss it about?

Do you trust the stock boy at the local Cyclegear to treat the helmet box with care or will they just toss it about?

I only buy helmets that have been handcrafted for me locally so I can pick it up right from the work bench myself never risking another person's head ever being inside it or some other hands dropping it.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Verge posted:

All What I find simply astounding is that we're all here, in this forum for motorcycling, a hobby/lifestyle and someone takes a bit (ok, a lot) more risk than others and he's deemed insane.

No, people aren't deeming you insane, just incredibly stupid. And mostly because you think the Bell Rogue looks like anything but trash.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

I'm surprised Verge needs a helmet at all. I would have thought his head would be well protected considering how far up his own rear end it is.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

-Inuo-, for the lazy rider payroll are the pictures chosen at random or do you guys pick the cool/goofy looking ones. Would having a ZLA sticker on my bike improve my chances next year?

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Apparently they're doing a weird merger where both will operate indecently under one holding company and allow for some kind of collaborations such as revzilla brick and mortar stores and better web experience for cycle gear. So all in all better than it could be, as long as Anthony keeps doing videos I'll be fine: http://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/letter-to-customers-revzilla-cycle-gear-partnership

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Anthony's finally worn out his one shirt, now he's just going to go topless to show off his arms. (Thanks iPhone)

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

echomadman posted:

Haha, thats amazing, he sounds like he's hammered drunk.

Hahaha, the whole thing is pretty incredible at half speed. All the proprietary material names and stuff just makes him sound like he's drunk off his rear end making poo poo up.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Hey -Inu-, could you compare the rev'it Tornado pants that are on clearance right now with the new Airwaves? I'm looking for a replacement for my current Airwaves which are pretty disgusting after a few years of daily commuting. I probably wouldn't use the liners in the Tornados, so how would they compare just as over pants? Also, is there anything comparable to the old Airwaves from any other brands I should consider?

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

-Inu- posted:

They're pretty similar if you ignore the liners in the Tornadoes. The Airwaves have a little more mesh than the Tornadoes, but the mesh on the Tornadoes has a looser weave so the ventilation would be about the same. The Tornadoes are a true overpant in that they have a full length zipper on the inside leg, if that means anything to you. You'll want to drop down 1 size, as the Tornadoes run a tad large, but if you can find a closeout pair in your size I think you'd be happy with them. If you won't be using the liners and don't care about the full length zipper, there's really no difference between the two. If Rev'it fits you well, there's not really any reason to look at other brands. Nothing mindblowing offered by other manufacturers.

Thanks! Are there any major improvements to the new Tornados to really make them worth the almost 2x price over the older version? I've already got the Seesoft hip inserts that should fit the older version. Also, I'm just about to pull the trigger on the clearance pair, but I can't really make sense of the sizing. The 46-58 range doesn't fit the sizing chart at all which is SM-XL. My current pair that they'll be replacing are MD Airwaves and they work well right now for me as overpants. Do you have a suggestion for what the comparable size in the Tornados would be?

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Renaissance Robot posted:

Took a trip over to Leeds to visit getgeared's store and try on a couple of jackets, specifically the rev'it gt-r air textile/mesh and akira leather.

I just want to take the opportunity to say that in my opinion, getgeared kicks rear end. I ordered some fitted rev'it hip armor that's out of stock everywhere in the US and they shipped it to me in 5 days, order to delivery, for $4. The price on the armor was cheaper than US MSRP too!

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

AncientTV posted:

Don't know anything about the quality, but I've had these guys bookmarked for awhile: http://www.teizms.com

Stylish too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Fats posted:

I know what you mean, I always assumed it was the smell of rain and road grime steaming off the radiator and engine. My SV basically funnels water into the radiator at a stop, which means big steam clouds and a lot of smell; my street triple less so.

This is what I've always thought it was too. I assumed you do't get it from cars since you son't get as much wet road grime directly on the engine. Definitely a different smell from petrichor. I get it as a more burnt smell than just earthy.