Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Koruthaiolos posted:

I don't believe they should be too tight, since it's the inner booty that should keep them snug. But IDK, they might break in some, though that's a big chance for such expensive boots.

Turns out my idiot rear end just cranked the hell out of the booties, it's fine now.

I can't believe how nice they feel. The sidis I have are like someone laid some craft store felt over the (severely inadequate) armor - hard edges rubbing everywhere, I literally have scars from it. IDK if all sidis are like that, or just the bottom of the barrel """"race"""" boots for women.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Yeah, SMX-Pluses are amazing. I would have no problem wearing them all day at home or at the office (except for the squeaking).

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib

SaNChEzZ posted:

Took me about a month of riding daily for them to REALLY break in. You might even want to shower with them on, really.

I've had mine for around 5 years, they are holding up nicely. SaNChEzZ is right, mine got good and soaked from rain riding a few times and were second skin afterwards.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Really, the best gloves I've ever had for fit were some Fox dirt bike gloves. They had big armor plates across all the hard points, leather, and spandex stuff in between to make the stretchy. No gauntlet, which was the downside, but so comfortable.

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

Thanks, everyone, for the info on the Sena products. I bought SMH10R the other day, got it installed last night and used it this morning. Installation was fairly simple, the speakers were just a tad too large for the recesses in the RF-1200; I had to pull off the inside foam from the recess cover to make it work. I also cut a small opening in the pleather from the cheekpad to route the cable from the control unit cleanly. The wires and connections were able to get tucked under the rear pad easily. I tried the Etymotic ER20xs Motorsports, but on the package it says they have an NRR of 13, so I don't think I'm going to use them. I used the previously mentioned NRR 30 foamies and I could still hear the music fine at highway speeds. Sound quality isn't great, but it is pretty darn good for the size of the speakers.

I also bought a Ram X-Grip, a bar clamp M8 bolt mount and the short composite arm. I set up my phone in it this morning and ran Waze with the Sena and it was pretty neato. I'm not 100% sold on the X-Grip though, there is some swivel/play to it and the clamping mechanism isn't super strong. I hit a perpendicular pavement seam and it almost popped right out. I'll probably put a rubberband or some velcro around it just in case.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
After trying various ways of mounting my phone on the bike I just gave up and threw it in my pocket. The speech recognition on modern phones is good enough for anything you're likely want to do while actually rolling along, and of course leaving the screen off extends the life of the battery immensely. Obviously you miss out on some helpful visual info but it's a trade-off that works for me.

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

Right, I don't actually need the GPS since I've been on these roads for 15 years, I just thought it might be neat to try it out. I usually keep the phone in the inside breast pocket and its fine there, I really just wanted to try out something different, see how it worked. I think the X-Grip will be fine with a secondary tether.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

I used on of these with it mounted in the center of my handlebars for a 400 mile trip yesterday and it worked well. Phone was secure and easy to get in and out at stops.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Selling my gear. A* women's leather and waterproof textile jackets.

SA Mart thread here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3735710

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

tirinal posted:

I am strongly against helmet laws for this reason.

Helmets being optional not only floods craigslist with cheap repairable bikes being sold by bereaved families, but it means I no longer have to ride with a topbox just for storing the helmet since nobody will want to steal it anyway.

I know you're just being something awful, but I wish that the USA had more of a gear culture. I was riding back from the gym and this kid (~20?) had a Ninja 250. He was coming out of the gym same time I was and we talked bikes for a bit. The 250 was his first bike and he had that "I love beiks" feeling that comes with riding for less than 6 months. He had a full face, at least, but no other gear. I didn't think giving him some sort of lecture was smart, but I hope talking to the older dude in gear will leave some sort of impression.

mrking posted:

do any companies offer bespoke gloves? probably not worth it from a production standpoint but everybody's fingers are come in different widths and lengths.

Vanson does. My friend is missing his pinky finger and Vanson made him a pair with one the pinky finger missing. They're nice gloves, but my buddy had to bug Vanson for months to get them done.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
I've been getting a wicked rash on my sideburns lately which made me realise I've not washed my helmet in awhile, problem is it doesn't have a removable liner so washing and drying it takes an entire day and night. Are any of those spray on foam jobbies any good to use? or any kind of spray on cleaner for that matter?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Yes. They cost like 7 bucks. It's an expanding foam cleaner and smells like citrus. Helmet renew.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Super Slash posted:

I've been getting a wicked rash on my sideburns lately which made me realise I've not washed my helmet in awhile, problem is it doesn't have a removable liner so washing and drying it takes an entire day and night. Are any of those spray on foam jobbies any good to use? or any kind of spray on cleaner for that matter?

Shave your sideburns, hippie.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

MoraleHazard posted:

I know you're just being something awful, but I wish that the USA had more of a gear culture.

When I picked up my bike from the dealership last week, my sales guy said I was the first person in the past month he had seen show up with more than a full-face helmet. Living in NH it's especially entertaining to go down to the Mass border and see guys rip their helmets off as soon as they cross state lines.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Chichevache posted:

Shave your sideburns, hippie.

sideburns > long hair

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Super Slash posted:

Once it's clean, you might consider getting a head cover you can wear, too. Especially if your liner isn't removable. It'll help by separating your sweaty noggin from the liner, and you can just throw it in the wash once every couple of weeks (or whenever it gets funky).

I use one of these: http://raci-babi.com/Helmet-Liners.aspx

But Amazon has a bunch as well.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Lynza posted:

Once it's clean, you might consider getting a head cover you can wear, too. Especially if your liner isn't removable. It'll help by separating your sweaty noggin from the liner, and you can just throw it in the wash once every couple of weeks (or whenever it gets funky).

I use one of these: http://raci-babi.com/Helmet-Liners.aspx

But Amazon has a bunch as well.

I just dumped a bunch of water in my helmet and swished it around and then rode around with the vents open. I assume that now I will die when it shatters after I hit a large bug.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein

builds character posted:

I just dumped a bunch of water in my helmet and swished it around and then rode around with the vents open. I assume that now I will die when it shatters after I hit a large bug.

:rip: builds character :rip:

So far I've been lucky with the head cover that my liner isn't gross, and now that I've posted that on the Internet when I put my helmet on to go home, it's going to smell like a hobo's rear end in a top hat.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Have you considered using earplugs? You could stuff them in your nose.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Digital_Jesus posted:

Have you considered using earplugs? You could stuff them in your nose.

I :lol:ed

Diggie
Apr 6, 2008
So I took the suggestion of wearing earplugs. It's so much better. I hear traffic more easily because I don't have all the immediate wind noise right by my ears AND the world isn't muted for 20 minutes after I get off the bike. 10/10, will do again.

What do you guys think about overpants? If I wear overpants, should I also wear jeans underneath or would I be okay in my work shorts?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Diggie posted:

So I took the suggestion of wearing earplugs. It's so much better. I hear traffic more easily because I don't have all the immediate wind noise right by my ears AND the world isn't muted for 20 minutes after I get off the bike. 10/10, will do again.

What do you guys think about overpants? If I wear overpants, should I also wear jeans underneath or would I be okay in my work shorts?

Overpants are better than any sort of jean, probably regardless of what you have underneath. That being said, I only own one pair of jeans so I wear shorts under my overs every time I ride.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Overpants are indeed rad; as for underneath, just wear whatever you'll need to be in when you get where you're going. My last big trip I was basically wearing pyjamas under mine, because the first place I was going to be after getting off the bike was a bed (but mostly because it was more comfortable that way).

e/ vv if you get something with zip legs like the rev'it airwave (which I and a few other goons have), taking them off is not much harder than removing your jacket.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Aug 11, 2015

Diggie
Apr 6, 2008

SaNChEzZ posted:

Overpants are better than any sort of jean, probably regardless of what you have underneath. That being said, I only own one pair of jeans so I wear shorts under my overs every time I ride.

My sole gripe right now about commuting 100% on the bike is that I have to change when I get to work. I also hate wearing jeans in class at night when the school apparently doesn't believe in air conditioning (or I'm being dramatic and to everyone else 75 is perfectly reasonable). Being able to just change shoes when I get to work and between work and school would be a godsend. I just wanted to make sure that I'm not over-estimating the effectiveness of overpants.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
A trunk does wonders for being able to change.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Diggie posted:

My sole gripe right now about commuting 100% on the bike is that I have to change when I get to work. I also hate wearing jeans in class at night when the school apparently doesn't believe in air conditioning (or I'm being dramatic and to everyone else 75 is perfectly reasonable). Being able to just change shoes when I get to work and between work and school would be a godsend. I just wanted to make sure that I'm not over-estimating the effectiveness of overpants.

I just leave a pair of shoes at my office, boots come off, shoes go on.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

I just wear my boots in the office.

Diggie
Apr 6, 2008
I know that being a goon and all means I shouldn't care about how I look, but half of my job is outside, so I wear shorts when I get to work. Boots and shorts looks goofy as poo poo.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Diggie posted:

Boots and shorts looks goofy as poo poo.

The State of Colorado would like to have a word with you.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Diggie posted:

Boots and shorts looks goofy as poo poo.

Lara Croft made it work.
:goonsay:

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I spent a few nights googling for boots that would pass at a pretty relaxed office but craps, why DON'T I just change shoes at work?? If I leave some socks there I'll also be in better shape if I get down poured upon.

Diggie
Apr 6, 2008

Radbot posted:

The State of Colorado would like to have a word with you.

I live in Alabama, so I wouldn't be totally out of place.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein

Jack B Nimble posted:

I spent a few nights googling for boots that would pass at a pretty relaxed office but craps, why DON'T I just change shoes at work?? If I leave some socks there I'll also be in better shape if I get down poured upon.

This, for real.

I keep a pair of shoes at the office, as well as a spare shirt and pants in case I'm caught in the rain or my gear springs a leak or something. It's super handy. Also means I don't have to pack a bunch of poo poo in my tailbag.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I just kept slippers and flip flops in my cube. The gently caress I need shoes for when I'm sitting at a desk? The only time I put shoes on was for meetings or an after lunch walk.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Have to wear office clothes despite working in a windowless data center. We can be pretty slovenly because we're IT so bad looking polo shirts and random shoes are on the lower end of ok but power ranger boots ain't gonna fly.

I want to get some of those motorcycle boots that kind of look like sneakers; something I can wear on the weekends. I need a normal looking armored shoe that's also light and comfortable. I'd be ok with spending a few hundred on it but I'm not sure which of these shoes online are actually any good?

Tldr what's a good 'sneaker/trainer' style shoe?

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Jack B Nimble posted:

None of them.

The most important protection a bike boot offers is ankle protection, anything that doesn't cover your ankles isn't going to be much of an improvement over a generic $50 reinforced toe hiking boot.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
That's why they make cowboy boots duh.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

HotCanadianChick posted:

None of them.

The most important protection a bike boot offers is ankle protection, anything that doesn't cover your ankles isn't going to be much of an improvement over a generic $50 reinforced toe hiking boot.

I thought some of them are 'high tops' and would go past the ankle. I am bad at describing athletic shoes.

Something like this just as an example.
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/dainese-street-biker-air-shoes

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Aug 11, 2015

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Those will probably help protect from initial impact, but I'll bet you can bend those ankles easily.
AFAIK ECE CAT II is just the certification that pertains to (among other things) motorcycle gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Jack B Nimble posted:

Have to wear office clothes despite working in a windowless data center. We can be pretty slovenly because we're IT so bad looking polo shirts and random shoes are on the lower end of ok but power ranger boots ain't gonna fly.

I want to get some of those motorcycle boots that kind of look like sneakers; something I can wear on the weekends. I need a normal looking armored shoe that's also light and comfortable. I'd be ok with spending a few hundred on it but I'm not sure which of these shoes online are actually any good?

SaNChEzZ posted:

I just leave a pair of shoes at my office, boots come off, shoes go on.

Get SMX-Pluses for riding and just switch to sneakers or whatever at work.