Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
The Cincy area has greatly improved just by my view. It used to be maybe as many as 1/10 wearing a helmet, now on a good day I'd say it's a many as 2/10. I might start to worry about leaving mine on my bike when I park it places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007

nsaP posted:

The Cincy area has greatly improved just by my view. It used to be maybe as many as 1/10 wearing a helmet, now on a good day I'd say it's a many as 2/10. I might start to worry about leaving mine on my bike when I park it places.

I am strongly against helmet laws for this reason.

Helmets being optional not only floods craigslist with cheap repairable bikes being sold by bereaved families, but it means I no longer have to ride with a topbox just for storing the helmet since nobody will want to steal it anyway.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

You know, there's a lock under seats for just that reason

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Shimrod posted:

You know, there's a lock under seats for just that reason

I don't want anyone peeing in my helmet.

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

You have to work some magic with the ex250 helmet lock to prevent it from resting on the hot exhaust. And also what if it rains? soggy helmet doesn't sound like a good way to start a ride.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Close your visor and angle your helmet down?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Radbot posted:

I refuse to believe that 35mph speeds cause 90dB levels of noise as perceived within a helmet, sorry.

https://www.faa.gov/pilots/safety/pilotsafetybrochures/media/hearing_brochure.pdf The FAA says you're going to find 90dB levels in the cockpit of a single rotor helicopter, without a headset. A helicopter is louder than 35mph wind.

If it were true that 35mph wind produced 90dB levels of noise, it'd be impossible to hear any car stereo above around 50mph with the windows down! It is funny that everyone is sperging about my lack of earplugs when most riders go without a helmet, but whatevs.

I don't believe that either. I took took several sound and music based physics classes in during my engineering undergrad and did a whole project on sound volumes on car stereos. I did extensive testing inside and outside of a car, moving and not moving to test stereo volumes and 90db is way louder than what I hear inside of my helmet at 35mph. Most of my riding is 50mph or less and I don't think the sound inside of my helmet gets even close to that. I have a decibal meter somewhere, but it's quite bulky and there's no way for me to really test it out inside of my helmet or I'd probably try it.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of helmets, I realized last week that (one of) my mx helmet(s) was EIGHT years old. :psyduck:

So I got a new one, of which I've been to busy lazy too take pictures, but it's this:

Shoei VFX-W. 50% off since the new graphics are out and no-one but cheapskates wants old graphics or something.

The fit compared to my other mx helmets is sublime, it's without a doubt the most comfortable helmet I've owned. Once it's on my noggin, that is. On the other hand, it's such a goddamn tight fit to get on and off that if I do that more than four-five times per day I chafe my temples bad enough that I get scabs the day after. Oh well, still it's sooooo comfy (and stylish) to wear. :dance:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Speaking of helmets, I realized last week that (one of) my mx helmet(s) was EIGHT years old. :psyduck:

So I got a new one, of which I've been to busy lazy too take pictures, but it's this:

Shoei VFX-W. 50% off since the new graphics are out and no-one but cheapskates wants old graphics or something.

The fit compared to my other mx helmets is sublime, it's without a doubt the most comfortable helmet I've owned. Once it's on my noggin, that is. On the other hand, it's such a goddamn tight fit to get on and off that if I do that more than four-five times per day I chafe my temples bad enough that I get scabs the day after. Oh well, still it's sooooo comfy (and stylish) to wear. :dance:

That is a beautiful helmet.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Please tell me you have a RM250 to go with it:

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Been noticing a lot of hate for Biltwell lately. I personally own a Shoei Qwest but why do people hate Bitlwell's so much?

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Knifegrab posted:

Been noticing a lot of hate for Biltwell lately. I personally own a Shoei Qwest but why do people hate Bitlwell's so much?

You're paying $159 for an unvented, bizarre-looking helmet with ~bubble shields~ when that same $159 could be spent on any modern, comfortable, well-designed helmet from Bell or HJC.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nidhg00670000 posted:

That is a phenomenal looking helmet. I wish the NXR had anything but lame colour schemes when I bought mine (annoyingly it does now).

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

annnnnnd my gearquest is complete.

Dianese Druids because my old gloves got royally destroyed by a torrential downpour I got stuck in.

Dianese EVO C2 leather pants to go with my jacket.

Pair of Sidi STs as I've worn through the soles on my current pair of boots.

Plus a pitbull pin stand for the SuperDuke so I can stop using a broom through the axle as a rearstand.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Those STs look sick.

Gear report: my Knox Handroids have held up well over the last 5k miles or so, though they need a good conditioning as they've caught a lot of rain. The Large was preeeetty tight upon arrival, but has broken in excellently. I start to get those "lifter blisters" on my palm after about six hours in the saddle but they're not uncomfortable.

All in all, highly recommended! They're not that much slower to put on than street gloves and the protection is better to a ridiculous degree. Brogrammers, Lady Accountants, dog masseuses, and others who make their living with their fingers should get a pair of these gauntlets.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Ripoff posted:

You're paying $159 for an unvented, bizarre-looking helmet with ~bubble shields~ when that same $159 could be spent on any modern, comfortable, well-designed helmet from Bell or HJC.
They are a fashion helmet. And not an appealing fashion at that. And they also sell novelty helmets, and that i think is frankly creepy and everyone else should think that too. Real helmets are not for show, they're not fashion, they're not to fool the cops, and anyone who thinks otherwise is a dangerous jerkoff who doesn't deserve to be paid money. Biltwell is a joke brand for people who don't take riding seriously.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
I think a big part of the problem is that the name "Biltwell" implies that it is built well, but it is not. It's cheap garbage.

There was an article yesterday about a guy who had an accident and talked about how his gear saved him, which was cool. What wasn't cool was that he was wearing what looks like one of those thin vinyl/pleather "leather jackets" with no armor whatsoever. He's got gnarly rash on his shoulder, but he says, "It's not the jacket's fault, I landed on sharp rocks."

Dudes, spend some goddamn money on a decent jacket (and pants, and gloves, and boots, etc.) with armor and actual materials intended for saving your flesh in an accident. You can buy used gear, or cheapish gear, but don't try to excuse wearing a completely inappropriate piece of equipment.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Lynza posted:

I think a big part of the problem is that the name "Biltwell" implies that it is built well, but it is not. It's cheap garbage.

There was an article yesterday about a guy who had an accident and talked about how his gear saved him, which was cool. What wasn't cool was that he was wearing what looks like one of those thin vinyl/pleather "leather jackets" with no armor whatsoever. He's got gnarly rash on his shoulder, but he says, "It's not the jacket's fault, I landed on sharp rocks."

Dudes, spend some goddamn money on a decent jacket (and pants, and gloves, and boots, etc.) with armor and actual materials intended for saving your flesh in an accident. You can buy used gear, or cheapish gear, but don't try to excuse wearing a completely inappropriate piece of equipment.

Without ever seeing the article, I'll bet he paid more for that jacket than he could have picked up a no-brand proper bike jacket for.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Without ever seeing the article, I'll bet he paid more for that jacket than he could have picked up a no-brand proper bike jacket for.

Here you go - he has a picture of it.

http://news.boldride.com/2015/08/motorcycle-crash-review-kawasaki/86336/

M42
Nov 12, 2012

It looks like a torn shopping bag.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Navelgazing internet 'journalism' combined with motorbikes is a recipe for hitherto unreachable levels of cringe-inducing terribleness.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Yup, guarantee that cost him at least £300 in the local currency.

Slavvy posted:

Navelgazing internet 'journalism' combined with motorbikes is a recipe for hitherto unreachable levels of cringe-inducing terribleness.

RELATED: See images of a Ducati Scrambler.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein
Also, I hate him FOREVER for loving up a perfectly nice Kawak, which is a bike I want very much. Dick.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Radbot posted:

Around 2/3rds, though it's likely heavily skewed by California and other helmet mandatory states. An easy majority of riders in Denver don't wear helmets, though more do in the mountains.

http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/Pubs/811610.pdf

Was in Denver for the day yesterday and only saw two people without helmets! Saw about 10 with full faces, no halfers.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
My brother got me some Knox Handroid pods for my birthday.

Now to break them in.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I got a pair of Orsa a couple months ago, they took bloody ages to break in, especially as they started out almost too small to get on my hand, but now they're second skin levels of comfy (goat leather ftw).

I did try out the handroid, but the cuff straps (specifically the little loop of metal just behind the thumb, visible in your pic) didn't agree with my weird bony bird wrists, I'd have had to wear some kind of wristband under the gloves to not get bruised, or else jam some sugru around it or something.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Supradog posted:

Now to break them in.

That doesn't look like a coffee shop though.

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

Brand new Cortech suit. That's the zipper for the right leg calf expansion. Cortech is 2 for 2 for me with zipper failures out of the box. My boots had a bad zipper on the first pair. Thankfully I bought this from Revzilla and they are taking care of it. The last place made me go through Cortech directly.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Supradog posted:

Now to break them in.

Took me about a month of riding daily for them to REALLY break in. You might even want to shower with them on, really.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Yeah, Knox gloves take a long time to break in IME.

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

I got a pair of dianese x-strike gloves and having never owned leather gloves, what's the difference between "Hasn't broken in yet" and "Just doesn't fit, get a bigger pair"? Because I doubt rev'zilla will accept the return on them after I soaked them in water in an attempt to get them to conform to my alien like fingers. Although I'm fairly certain these were made for monkeys because the thumb is idiotically short.

Comrade Red
Jul 9, 2013
I asked here a while back about what to look for in a helmet, and now that I got my life back from school, I've been able to look around for one and found a place that carries the HJC IS-max 2. Anyone here have one? Is there any real difference between the is-max vs the cl-max besides having a removable liner and being a hundred more? The place has them for about $209.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Lexorin posted:

what's the difference between "Hasn't broken in yet" and "Just doesn't fit, get a bigger pair"?

Imo it's finger length. If the glove is a bit tight you can expect it to loosen, but the fingers aren't likely to get longer by more than a couple of millimetres.

Biggest bitch I had looking for gloves was the number of times* I'd find something super comfy off the rack that fit perfectly expect for being 5mm too long in the index finger (and nowhere else), or that was crushingly short in the little finger or thumb.

It's a lot like helmets, if the fit is wrong it's probably going to be wrong no matter what size you get.

*like twice, maybe three times, in comparison to a whole lot of poo poo not fitting at all because nobody puts small sizes on the rack >:[

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Aug 6, 2015

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
I've never found a pair of gloves where the pinkie fit right. :argh:

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

do any companies offer bespoke gloves? probably not worth it from a production standpoint but everybody's fingers are come in different widths and lengths.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein
That would be awesome, but there's nothing like that for motorcycles that I've heard of. Goddamn they'd be expensive.

I think the key is to find a brand that fits, but not all items from the same brands fit the same always, so ... ugh.

I'd like to see manufacturers giving out much more specific size information, though. "40 inch chest" means different things depending on where they're measuring and that's great, but what if you have really broad shoulders, etc.?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I just got a pair of smx plus in the mail. They fit pretty dang snug, but not painfully so. Will they break in? It's the first boot I've had that wasn't a loose piece of poo poo.

mrking posted:

do any companies offer bespoke gloves?

https://www.helimot.com

VVV https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZjVI47p160

M42 fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Aug 6, 2015

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Customer was helping her parents from Mexico shop for some gear. I guess her mom's friend has a jacket with LEDs on it that flash like indicators when they're turning? Never heard of anything like that before. All I could think of was that she confused reflective piping/panels for lights or this:

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

I don't believe they should be too tight, since it's the inner booty that should keep them snug. But IDK, they might break in some, though that's a big chance for such expensive boots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

M42 posted:

I just got a pair of smx plus in the mail. They fit pretty dang snug, but not painfully so. Will they break in? It's the first boot I've had that wasn't a loose piece of poo poo.

https://www.helimot.com

VVV https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZjVI47p160

That's cool. Nice way to make you more visible. I assume there's some sort of connection to the wiring for that to all work seamlessly.

E: http://www.impulsejackets.com/#!about/c10fk
Wireless transmitter/receiver. Even better.